“Absolutely Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of House of Ludington

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Escanaba
House of Ludington
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Escanaba
north caroline
“Absolutely Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

It's so hard to find a place to start. We were scheduled to stay at the House of Ludington for one night only. We couldn't leave!

The rooms were clean. The beds were comfortable. The rooms were soundproof. Yes, the shower took a few minutes to warm up but it was wonderful! The owners Ed and Suzelle were awesome! So we stayed...for 3 more days!

We haven't been this relaxed at a hotel in years. The casual atmosphere is exactly what we needed. I had read other reviews before coming to stay and all I can say is shame on those of you who wrote negative reviews. I took the chance to stay regardless of the reviews because you never know until you try something yourself. The reviews were dead wrong. This hotel is in the process of being updated. The owners are working very hard to do it. I cannot imagine the cost. The rooms that are being used are clean, well decorated and more space than you will often see at other major hotel chains.

We found the staff to be warm and fun to be around. The food was fabulous, There were leftovers and i was glad of it. The history that radiates inside this hotel is something everyone should experience. But know this, if you are looking for the marble floored, berber carpeted mini fridge experience of other hotels you wont find it here. If you are looking for a unique one of a kind gem that steps back in time, you will not be disappointed,

2 Thank chibbers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

Ed and Suzell don't operate a chain hotel. I'm glad they don't. I checked in for one night and stayed for three. Rooms are clean. The beds were perfect. Some reviewers spoke of mildew or musty oders. There was only the slightest scent of closed rooms. It dissapeared the moment we occupied our rooms. A reviewer spoke of fire escape issues. Maybe there is merit to the older design. The fires inside/your outside on a sturdy steel structue. Seems like a better idea than an inside stairwell. Its three floors not the Sears tower. The fire escape was easy to reach and seemed sturdy. The space heater spoken of was a modern safe disk type. Can't imagine you would need it. The steam system looked adequate. Water pressure was excellent. Water temperature was perfect. Smoke detector in rooms were modern and maintained. Food was excellent. Everything we ordered and we ordered alot. Portions are almost too large. Prices are very reasonable. We were in town for a reunuon. Most of our group stayed at one of the better chain hotels in Escanaba. They had limited or no hot water all weekend. They payed more. Many wished they were with us at the House of Ludington. This property has to be challenging to operate. It may be more accurate to describe it as on the way back instead of in need of repair. By the end of the stay I hoped I had been as good a guest as Ed and Suzell had been hosts.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank macfromnc
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

The hotel is owned and operated by a couple so the service was friendly and personal. They do a lot of catering so the wait staff can get spread pretty thin. Nonetheless I was quite pleased with the level of service.

The room was clean and spacious. We had one of the lake view rooms. It turns out the room they gave us was the honeymoon suite. When I told the owner that our daughter was thirty he replied "just pretend".
The suite consisted of two room decorated in a Victorian motif. The main room was the sleeping room with a small enclosed half bath. The second room was furnished like a sitting/reading/dressing room with a second enclosed half bath and a stand up shower with a glass door.

The hotel's location borders Ludington park. It's a nice place to walk around and enjoy the afternoon. The downtown restaurants are reasonably close. Shopping is far enough away that you'll want to drive.

The hotel has a very nice pub. Sort of a saloon meets 50's cocktail lounge meets new industrial chic. The dining room is open evenings and serves very good food. The food is not only good but it's a reasonable value. I had the simply broiled white fish because I wanted to taste the ingredients rather than the sauces. I can't say I've ever had better. The fish was fresh and well prepared. My wife also complimented the food.

The rest of the hotel's amenities are pretty sparse. It's not geared for the business traveler and never will be. It's a 140 year old hotel and the owners seem to want to keep it that way. There's no pool, no exercise room and I don't believe there's wi-fi. As mentioned earlier it seems geared for the vacation traveler looking for some peace and quiet.

The best part of the hotel was the service. There's honestly nothing to complain about.

4 Thank GazintA_TM
Woodbridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2011

The House of Ludington is not for everyone. It is not "fast food" and there are no kids play areas. Dress is casual if that is what you want and there are two separate areas for seating (one is more "bar" atmosphere, and the other side is more "nice casual to elegant decor." The food is consistently good and that is why we continue to return. We love the Strawberry cashew salad (side or a main dish- two sizes). We often go for the Friday Night fish fry. This hotel has some great history and is certainly a special spot in the U.P. Prices are moderate. The owners are as pleasant as can be and the wait staff consistently friendly and they desire to please. If one of the above customers got less than desired treatment, it must have been quite an unusual circumstance. We have eaten at varied types of restaurants all over the world (land and sea) and though HOL may not be "world-class," it is a pleasant place for lunch and/or dinner, well-deserving of 4-out-of 5 stars. Oh, location is primo- right across the street from a park ON THE LAKE, though no views from the restaurant. Go and enjoy!

6 Thank foodfan57VA
Boyne City, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

I have always loved old, historic places and this hotel was a great find! It was built in the late 1800's and I also heard that it may be haunted, which made me even more excited!

The owner, Ed, checked us into our rooms (2 couples, 2 rooms) on the second floor, just up the stairs. He told us we could explore the rooms that were open, as those guests have not checked in yet. Our room was very comfortable, the bed was plush, the water pressure awesome. We had a window air conditioner, but no need to use it as the temps were cool enough. The was no fridge in the room, but they did have a room around the corner with a soda machine, microwave, and small fridge for guests to use. Plus if you forgot anything, there were blowdryers, sunscreen, hair gel, and an iron to use!

We checked out a couple other rooms that were open. A couple of them had fireplaces with king beds, a couple had two queens, and a couple were used as storage. All guest rooms were nice and all decorated differently. We checked out the banquet rooms, the bathrooms, the kitchen, but never got to see or feel any ghostly activity.

Dinner at the House of Ludington was one of the best I've ever had! Suzell cooked all our meals and everything was fabulous - appitizers, salads and entree's! The menu is not your typical food either. If I was driving through Escanaba, I would stop just for lunch or dinner is was so good! Sadly, we didn't have room for dessert.

After dinner we had a couple drinks in the bar while talking with the owners. They invited us over to the neighbors house for a fire and drinks after awhile, so we went over and chatted for awhile learning about other ghostly happenings around town.

The nights sleep was great! Although the floors are creaky throughout, we never once heard anyone walking around.

When morning rolled around, we stopped at the front desk and left our keys in the pile with everyone else's keys that had checked out as nobody was around. There is a beautiful park just across the street, and the Sand Point Lighthouse & Delta County Historical Society is right there as well.

Botton line is, this is an old, historical building and if you're looking for the modern convienences of fridge, internet access, coffee maker, etc in the room, go stay at the chain hotels on US 2. This place is creaky, has a little dust, but has alot of charecter and I will definately go back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
10 Thank Reenwad
Wisconsin, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2011

We spent a few days in the UP at the end of the year with another couple to enjoy cross country skiing and dog sledding & stayed at the House of Lundington in Escanaba on New Year's Eve. The photos made the place look very charming & romantic but it doesn't live up to the photos. We love older, quaint places but this hotel has not been kept up. The hallway floors are like a rollercoaster, wallpaper in rooms was peeling off, bathrooms fixtures had rust stains & hot water for showers was very slow coming. We made reservations to eat & stay at the hotel a week prior and being New year's Eve thought that we might not get another hotel since we checked in later in the day, otherwise we would have left. (Places are limited in the UP)

However, we all enjoyed wonderful meals on New Year's Eve at the House of Lundington in a charming dining room next to a warm fireplace and would dine there again if in the area. Too bad the place hasn't been kept up as the location by the bay is very nice.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TheKidsAreGone

Travelers are raving about these Escanaba hotels

Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

If you make a reservation, be certain you keep it. My husband and I were delayed on our trip due to weather and needed to cancel our plans to stay at the House of Ludington. Giving more than 24 hours notice, I called three times and left messages to cancel and asked that a return call be made to confirm the cancellation was received. When the reservation clerk returned my call, she told me I would have to pay for the night's stay. Although no confirmation was sent nor discussed when I made the reservation, I was supposed to know the cancellation policy. When I questioned the policy, she hung up on me. What kind of customer service is that other than just plain rude. Run as fast as you can!

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple