“Good value for the very low rate but not for everyone”

Country Hearth Inn - Escanaba
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Escanaba
Reviewed September 9, 2010

This motel delivers a lot of value for a very low rate and I would stay there again for that reason but it is not for everyone. On the plus side the bed was comfortable and passed my bed bug check, and the room was spacious and mostly clean. The free breakfast included boiled eggs, fruit and muffins. On the minus side, the motel is run down and needs updating. The top sheets on the beds were so worn you could see through them and there was some mold on the shower curtain. We rejected the first room offered to us because the fastener on the window (1st floor) was broken and the window could easily be opened from the outside. A desk clerk told us the owner was aware of the problem but if so why did they try to rent it to us? I am suspicious of the reviews of this motel which are highly favorable.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DesnoyerPark
There are newer reviews for Country Hearth Inn - Escanaba

Reviewed September 2, 2010

In December of 2008 my family stayed at this hotel on Christmas Eve. We had booked our room online prior to our arrival. When we got there, they told us that they needed a credit card for "incidental expenses." When the credit card bill arrived we were billed twice for the same nights stay. I called and spoke with the hotel's owner. He personally told me he would take care of everything. The next month, the same thing happened. The third month, I called again except this time the owner refused to return my calls. At this point the credit card company would not help since it had been too long and I could not obtain a proof of credit from the establishment. I have called over a dozen times. Written mutliple letters only to never get a penny back for them charging us 2 times for the same nights stay. This is a dirty hotel owned by people who will rip you off even on Christmas!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank BBartoszek
Reviewed August 27, 2010

great stay. Clean, quiet, good breakast of waffles, eggs, muffins

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed August 1, 2010

This place is not a good place to stay. Here are the items I found deficient in merely the time it took to unload my luggage and deliver it to the room:

* The hallways smelled very bad
* The rear entrance/exit door's security lock is inoperative.
* The room smelled worse than the hallways
* The carpet in the room was stained badly
* The air conditioner in the room pumped what smelled like moldy air in
* The sink was chipped
* The concrete sidewalks are chipped and in bad repair
* The furniture in the room is old and dated

The nice young man at the front desk offered to show me another room, but the hallways smelled so bad and the place is in such disrepair, I couldn't bear to stay. He tried to remove the charges from my credit card, but I'd made my reservations through AAA and now must try to get reimbursed through Travelocity.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank mikeflht88
Reviewed May 14, 2010

I'm always hesitant to stay at a hotel I've not been to before, however, I must say I was very impressed with Americas Best Value Inn in Escanaba. Beginning with the friendly staff, to the clean room and the variety of the continental breakfast, I couldn't ask for a better place to stay for the price. It truly was a home away from home. I would certainly recommend this hotel to family and friends; and stay there again given the opportunity to pass through the U.P. again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 11, 2010

This was one of the best hotels I have stayed at. The rooms were extremely clean and just the right size for my family. I was able to sleep peacefully without any disturbances. It is located in the heart of Escanaba, so everything is within a few miles away. I would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: April 2010
Reviewed December 15, 2009

I recently visited the Upper Peninsula and stayed at America's Best Value Inn in Escanaba. It was friendly and a good value for the money.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo