“"Staff was great"”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Escanaba
Friendship
“"Staff was great"”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Spent September 27-30th, 2013. Hotel is being completely updated in stages. Was traveling with an elderly person using a walker so I requested, and received, a first floor room. This hotel does have an elevator. Room was well appointed with updated furnishings and flat screen TV. Everything was clean and confortable...I did go to Wallmart for a pillow, but that is a personal pillow preference issue, and not the hotels...they are harder than I like. The hot breakfast buffet was perfect with a selection of hot and cold. There was something for everyone. The lobby was beautiful, as was the covered outside entrance to the hotel with two seating arrangements. My only complaint? There was no ironing board or iron, nor was there a small micro or mini refrigerator in the room. They did have a small general use mico in the corridor area. It has been a long time since I stayed anywhere that did not have an ironing board or iron to freshen packed clothing. And even the most inexpensive hotels today have a micro and small fridge in the room. My cooler just didn't cut it. Would I stay again? Yes, I would...the pool was great. But I would ask if any rooms had those items I also would have liked, and needed. Fortunately I pack a spray "wringle release" product, and I used it.

Room Tip: Ask if your room has a mico or fridge and iron!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I'm sorry to have to write this but that place is a dump. Our first impression came as entered the lobby which is OK but it's all downhill from there. Approximately half of the hall lights had burned out bulbs making the hall dark. The first room we were given had peeling wallpaper, holes in the walls (small holes from picture hanging but holes none the less) and strange stains on the bed sheets. When we called the front desk to ask for help with the spotted bed sheet the hotel employee told us that she is a lady and can't come to the room. Then she said that we could come and get clean sheets at the front desk or just wait until morning! When we approached the front desk to discuss the situation with her she was already on the phone with the hotels general manager who's attitude was no better than the workers was, then she compared us to murderers saying that she feared for her safety. We were finally given a new room which also proudly displayed the same peeling wallpaper, hole ridden walls décor as the previous room did. After inspecting the bed sheets we turned in for the night or so we thought, for there in the dim light coming in from the outside I could see a bug making its way to my wife's ear; I trapped the bug in a foam cup for safe keeping until morning. When morning came I was the only one of us who would take a shower since my wife was just too grossed out. We went back to the front desk and found the general manager who was on the phone the night before, we tried to politely explain what had happened but the manager lady would hear none of it, she spiked the cup containing the bug on the floor and ordered us out of her hotel or she would call the police, I'm not sure what we would have been charged with but that describes our experience that this Not so Quality Inn. Do yourself a favor and DON'T STAY IN THIS DUMP!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Robert W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The reception area of the hotel is very large and stylish, with comfortable seating. The room was spacious and had all the facilities one could need, and the bed was extremely comfortable. Both of the staff members I spoke to during my stay were extremely courteous and helpful, especially the gentleman (sorry I can't remember his name) who went into the back office and made a pot of decaffeinated coffee especially for my husband as the only pot of coffee on reception (available 24 hours) was caffeinated. The breakfast (included in the very reasonable room price) was very good with plenty of choice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carol1906
Escanaba, Michigan
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We happened upon this hotel while on a family vacation. Our car broke down on a Sunday afternoon & had to be towed to a repair shop. The next morning the mechanic said we needed a new fuel pump which would not arrive until the next day. Check-out was at 11am, so we booked our room for another night. By 1pm the mechanic determined that we only needed a new module & could have it ready in an hour. The front desk was very accommodating and allowed us a late check-out so we wouldn't have to pay for another night. We hung out in their comfortable lobby until our car was ready. Great service!
The room was clean & comfortable & the kids enjoyed the spacious pool area.

Kenora, Canada
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We spent one night while we were passing through the UP. We picked the hotel because we travel with our dog and of course not many hotels allow dogs. Place was adequate. Clean enough and room amenities were sufficient. One thing though, whenever there is a pool in the hotel, as was the case here, you can't escape the whiff of pool in the air and lots of unsightly skin wandering around. The pool atmosphere gets in the carpets and everywhere throughout the building. Not bad though I guess if one values having a pool down the hall.

Good breakfast with eggs and sausage which is a little more than the norm. Kind of a delay at the desk, had to go looking for the clerk.

Dakota, Illinois
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We spent one night at the Quality Inn Escanaba on our way to Mackinac Island. The staff was wonderful upon check in, recommended a few great places for dinners, and got us our keys. We turned on the a.c. right away because we had been having very high temps and high humidity. The room carpeting never did feel dry, when coming back from dinner or even when we woke up in the morning. Perhaps they had cleaned the carpet and it had not dried, or perhaps it was just how it felt to me! We were on the ground floor, so that also may have been a factor. The breakfast did include waffles, scrambled eggs and sausage as well as perfunctory cereal, fruit, and yogurt. Excellent service there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SongBirdMe
Nekoosa, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This hotel was very nice. The room was clean and the staff was very friendly. The beds are very comfortable and the pillows were great. The pool area is very nice. Lots of toys for the kids to use while in the pool. Sauna and hot tub were also nice. The complimentary breakfast was excellent. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. I would stay here again!