“I must have been in a different hotel than the others”

Sunset Lodge Escanaba
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Escanaba
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We recently stayed one night at the Sunset Lodge. We chose this hotel based on past TripAdvisor recommendations. All I can say it that I must have had the only bad room in the place. The bed was noisy and had no headboard. The bathroom door didn't close completely. Our room air conditioner was a little noisy, but it couldn't mask a much noisier air conditioner in an adjacent portion of the building.
There are many other choices of hotels in Escanaba and I would look for another if/when I return.

Room Tip: Don't accept room #12.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BruceMN

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Sunset Lodge. Rooms were clean and parking was right in front of your door. The restaurant next door was very good and fairly priced. Managers were very friendly and helpful allowing us to check in early. Would definitely stay again when in Escanaba.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I agree with all of the positive reviewers. My wife and I spend 3-4 months on the road annually and have occasion to use many a motel. Sunset is one of the cleanest we've encountered, especially taking into account how old the structure is. If all you're looking for is a comfortable (firm) bed in which to sleep, Sunset Lodge will meet your need. A small fridge and a microwave await you as well. We pad $65 for a night (including tax).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Baruch M
JarredandJenD, Owner at Sunset Lodge Escanaba, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Hello! Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us this summer! Your words are so valuable to our business and encouraging for us as we continue to make improvements. We would love to serve you again!

Reviewed August 25, 2013

This is a clean, value priced motel, locally owned. The Proprietor is eager to please. It is not a chain. Which I like. The location is on the main drag through town. This makes it easy to find but there is traffic noise. Small fridge was very useful for me. My only complaint is that I was unable to turn off the light outside my room. It was very bright, shone in my room all night and I found it quite annoying. I would never rate it 5 stars because it is, after all, an ordinary motel.
Family Inn restaurant next door was great for breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for taking your time to send us a review! We are glad that you were satisfied with your stay, however, do regret that the light outside your room shone through the window. We will work to ensure that the window treatments are completely blacking out the light, as I can imagine the disturbance there! We do hope to see you again!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Great little American family owned motel. Super clean and tidy. Not a big chain but that's why we wanted to stay there. Price was right too, about $50. My only complaint is that the bed wasn't that comfortable.

Excellent restaurant right next door with awesome homemade bread.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2013

My husband and I are on a road trip from Minnesota to Maine and stopped for one night here. I read the prior reviews and concur that the motel is clean and a comfortable stay. Beds were very nice, clean sheets, shower was just fine and a very pleasant couple run this motel. The room also has wifi, a micro, small frig and coffee maker. We got coffee from the office in the morning as they also make a pot there, with small boxed donuts if you want. All in all, a good stay at a very reasonable price. Altho it is on a busy highway (US 2), the noise was quite diminished in the room and since it was warm, we used the A/C which neutralized outside noise.

Room Tip: We had a room with 2 queen beds at one end of the motel. Not sure if one room is better than anothe...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2013

With the reviews I read and the incredible rate of $50 including taxes, I booked. So glad we stayed there. It was easy to find as we drove north through Escanaba and just into Wells. The Family Inn Restaurant is right next door. (Go there if you want delicious food at very good prices.) The reception at the desk was excellent. While this is an old motel, everything that needs to be fresh and new IS fresh and new...towels, bedding, curtains, frig, microwave and probably the comfortable bed. It is clean, really clean. Wifi worked immediately. There were 70 channels, something for everyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escanaba
Quality Inn & Suites Escanaba
#1 of 2 in Gladstone
Super 8 Escanaba
Super 8 Escanaba
#7 of 10 in Escanaba

Been to Sunset Lodge Escanaba? Share your experiences!