“CLEAN, friendly staff, new towels!”

Sunset Lodge Escanaba
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Escanaba
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stay at the Sunset because you can pull your bike/car right up front to the room. You can depend that they will be clean and well maintained. Chairs and table out front to enjoy a sit. Pillows, mattress, linens are all better than what if found at similarly priced places around "rural" America. I could do without the morning donuts. There is a mom/pop restaurant right next door to the hotel. Never eat there though.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 9, 2013

The rooms were modern and clean. The owners are young and very friendly and considerate. You can't beat the price.It's perfect if you're just looking for a place to crash, and not all the overpriced frills. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Traveling by motorcycle on the Lake Michigan Circle Tour we needed a stopover before going on. Sunset Lodge fit the bill. It was economical and very clean. We loved the plush pillows and the fluffy white towels. The owners are very friendly and helpful. Town is just a short drive away and a family restaurant is just next door.

It is located near restaurants and the center of town.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Diane J
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Stayed here on my way to my cabin in northern Ontario. Great for a quick rest. One must keep in mind that this is a one story motel when reading my review. I normally stay at full service properties.

Room very clean and with nice linens. For a motel I was shocked at the level of cleanliness. I would have never stayed here if it weren't for the prior reviews and photos so thank you Trip Advisor and it's members. Again, I'm more of a full service hotel or B&B type of guy.

We arrived late and I called ahead to the owner to give him a heads up. He had no problem accommodating my late arrival but to save him having me check in late we decided to just leave the room open and bill on the desk. Great customer service!

My only complaint would be the road noise. There is a back building which I believe has three units in it and I would think it would be quieter than the 21 front rooms. I am a very light sleeper. With white noise from the in window air conditioning unit and my lack of sleep I was able to fall asleep.

Nice dinner directly next door that you can walk to for breakfast. Owner does have complimentary coffee and donuts in the office.

Over all if you are looking for a very inexpensive place to stay that is clean and convenient with a owner who really cares about his property and guests then I would highly recommend Sunset Lodge.

Room Tip: Back building may be quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Flyboy1969
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My wife an I recently stayed a couple of non consecutive nights during a week July/August. The owners are very helpful and nice. The Motel is an older one. For the price it is adequate. The first room we were given was actually in an out building behind the main motel. The room was small and barely adequate. It had a double bed and a twin bed. The beds were smaller than you would normally expect. The bathroom was very small. I had small shower and a very small nook for the toilet. People of 'american' build would be very claustrophobic. On our return trip I had mentioned the small room that I was given and they gave me a larger room including a larger bathroom,shower, and toilet space (handicap?). It worked out much better. The AC outlets are minimal, and not intuitively space. If you need power for a computer or medical device (CPAP etc.) be sure to bring an extension cord.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2013

First off - remember what you are paying for the room and secondly consider what you want from a motel to begin with. If you are on the road, and want a good night's sleep without all of the amenities of the big box hotels - then this will surprise you with its ability to please. Clean, cozy, and pretty quiet considering it is right on US 2. The owners are gracious, friendly, and very welcoming. Coffee in the morning? You Bet! Those chain hotels need to pay attention to these little retro-motels. What they lack in features they make up in service and cleanliness. This one in particular has taken the time to update, clean and make you feel welcome upon your arrival.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The good is the price. It's a place to bunk for around $60. The rooms are clean and the owners are nice. The small fridge, micro wave, and coffee maker are a plus.
The bad. Rooms are very small and cramped and the beds are uncomfortable. The TV is old and small and the ledge it rests on is a neat place to bump your head getting out of bed.
I have to believe the top rating on Travel Advisor is mainly because of the price.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Flybynight2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escanaba
Quality Inn & Suites Escanaba
#1 of 2 in Gladstone
Super 8 Escanaba
Super 8 Escanaba
#6 of 10 in Escanaba

Been to Sunset Lodge Escanaba? Share your experiences!