“Location, location, location”

Empire Lakeshore Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Empire
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is a wonderfully located motel within walking distance of places to eat & shop. Our family stayed here because it is just minutes away from Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes. A public beach is maybe a mile away. This independent, family-run property is older but very clean and fulfilled our needs for a 1 night stay. It is a MOTEL so just have reasonable expectations if you choose to stay here. We did!

Room Tip: A few Kitchenettes are available.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank CarrieS3

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We found Laleshore to be an excellent location to get to Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes as it is just minutes away. Also very close to the public beach in Empire which is a very nice beach. The room itself was clean and adequate for our one night stay, but everything is just basic and the bed was very hard. I believe it was the owner that checked us in and she was very nice trying to give us information, but unfortunately she did give us bad directions to a restaurant in Glen Arbor. Overall though, a good place to stay around the dunes.

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor if you can't walk up steps.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michelle S
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The place has new owners as of June. The owner was great on the phone and helpful during our stay.

We booked late and got the last room. The Inn is at the intersection of MI 22 and MI 72. The Harley's and diesel pickup trucks were loud and lots of them.

The room was a typical 1950's motel room. Two full beds, an old style TV, AC, baseboard heat, bath , and small sink. An add on was a coffee maker. No hair dryer. The big plus was it was clean! There was a good ice machine downstairs. The beds were hard and somewhat lumpy, needed replacement, but tolerable. The place really needs updating.

The room had pictures of the location and the owner through the years. Interesting history.

The location for Sleeping Bear Dunes is great. Two blocks away, Joe's Friendly Tavern was very good for breakfast and lunch.

Parking is an issue. We were with friends who were at the RV park and returned about 11pm two different nights. There are only 11 small parking spots for 11 rooms and no onstreet parking allowed. The large SUVs and minivans (many with bikes on the back) filled the lot. There was one spot left, but the vehicle on each side was on the line. So I let my wife out before pulling in and I squeezed out using my hand to prevent my door from touching the SUV. I needed to move my car (Camry) the next morning to allow a person to get into the driver's side.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Beavscabin
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Great staff and quiet rooms were just what we needed after a long day at the Sand Dunes. Clean Towels, sample soap and shampoo in the bathroom. Coffee maker and coffee provided free of charge. Flat screen tv. 2 full size beds were perfect for my husband and I and our 2 children. Cute decorations gave an "up north" feel and provided some history of the area which made it feel like we were away from our busy lifestyle.

Overall I had an amazing experience and loved coming back to a quiet Inn.

Room Tip: Make reservations early! Some rooms come furnished with microwave and fridge so if that is somethi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Traveling710
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Well, when I write these reviews I try to give future users of this location an honest assessment of what they are purchasing. The Lakeshore Inn Motel did receive a Very Good rating from me due to the location of the motel and the overall price, but future guests should understand that this motel is a lower budget motel and your not going to find it to be a 3 or 4 star hotel. So with that said let me summarize the good points and some improvement points of the motel.
Lets start with the good or highlight points:
- Great location if using the Sleeping Bear Dunes as a destination. The motel is about 5 miles from the park.
- The overall price of the motel is very reasonable for the area. I paid about $85 for the 2nd week in June. Had two double beds.
- Rooms had a small microwave, coffee maker & fridge in the room.
- Depending on your perspective there was a lack of tourist around in the 2nd week of June and the stores and places to visit were open to around 5 or 6 pm every day.
- The motel was pretty quiet and did have air conditioning.
- Megan, at the front desk was very friendly and helpful for any questions.
- There is a great city all sand beach about 5 blocks away from the motel with play equipment and bathrooms.
The potential improvemnt points:
- The bed in my room was very uncomfortable & was rock hard.
- The decor is nothing fancy & the carpet was noted to be worn. Overall the room was clean, just tired. It is a tourist area.
- The towels while clean were pretty rough and cheap in nature.
- The air conditioner took a loong time to get close to cooling the room. But worked well to block some of the noise around the room (people walking, closing doors, there is an intersection within 75 yards of the motel.
- The TV remote sometimes worked, sometimes did not. And the TV was small - but your not there to watch TV. I used it mostly to see what the weather report was for the next day.
- Note that there is really only one place to eat in town & it is a bar / tavern if you have children. Really good food. No Mickey-D's or other palces to eat unless you drive back to Travis City (about 25 miles east).

So, in closing the Lakeshore Inn Motel met my needs for a get away to relax. Very quiet at night, had some nice stores / galleries to shop at and the people were very friendly. Got my sleep and had a great time at the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park.
Just be aware that this is not a high end motel and roll with what the area provides for the price.
Lastly, I noted a For Sale sign on the motel property with a Sold sign on it - not sure what this will bring in the future for this establishment.

Room Tip: Pick a first floor room if you cannot carry your bags up the steps to the second floor - no elevator...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank newadventure53
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I came up to Empire for the weekend and stayed at the Lakeshore Inn. The owner and housekeeper were both very friendly and helped us with any questions we had. The rooms were clean and the beds were pretty good too. It is a great place to stay if you plan on driving around the area or heading to the beach. The only thing that bothered me was that our room did not have a fridge. It wasn't a huge inconvenience, but if we had stayed there longer it would have been. I would definitely recommend this hotel, it may not be perfect, but I'm pretty low-maintenance so it was great for me.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Lyndsay09
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stopped here on our way to Sleeping Bear Dunes & it was cute, not great, but most people camp at the dunes so we didn't expect Hilton's. the street had a coffee shop maybe 2 but no one was open at 9 am on Sunday morning which seemed odd. So we just headed out for breakfast and a great day at the beach.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Empire
The Hotel Frankfort
12 mi away
Northwoods Lodging
Northwoods Lodging
#2 of 4 in Beulah

Been to Empire Lakeshore Inn? Share your experiences!