“Some good points - Some improvement needed”

Empire Lakeshore Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Empire
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Well, when I write these reviews I try to give future users of this location an honest assessment of what they are purchasing. The Lakeshore Inn Motel did receive a Very Good rating from me due to the location of the motel and the overall price, but future guests should understand that this motel is a lower budget motel and your not going to find it to be a 3 or 4 star hotel. So with that said let me summarize the good points and some improvement points of the motel.
Lets start with the good or highlight points:
- Great location if using the Sleeping Bear Dunes as a destination. The motel is about 5 miles from the park.
- The overall price of the motel is very reasonable for the area. I paid about $85 for the 2nd week in June. Had two double beds.
- Rooms had a small microwave, coffee maker & fridge in the room.
- Depending on your perspective there was a lack of tourist around in the 2nd week of June and the stores and places to visit were open to around 5 or 6 pm every day.
- The motel was pretty quiet and did have air conditioning.
- Megan, at the front desk was very friendly and helpful for any questions.
- There is a great city all sand beach about 5 blocks away from the motel with play equipment and bathrooms.
The potential improvemnt points:
- The bed in my room was very uncomfortable & was rock hard.
- The decor is nothing fancy & the carpet was noted to be worn. Overall the room was clean, just tired. It is a tourist area.
- The towels while clean were pretty rough and cheap in nature.
- The air conditioner took a loong time to get close to cooling the room. But worked well to block some of the noise around the room (people walking, closing doors, there is an intersection within 75 yards of the motel.
- The TV remote sometimes worked, sometimes did not. And the TV was small - but your not there to watch TV. I used it mostly to see what the weather report was for the next day.
- Note that there is really only one place to eat in town & it is a bar / tavern if you have children. Really good food. No Mickey-D's or other palces to eat unless you drive back to Travis City (about 25 miles east).

So, in closing the Lakeshore Inn Motel met my needs for a get away to relax. Very quiet at night, had some nice stores / galleries to shop at and the people were very friendly. Got my sleep and had a great time at the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park.
Just be aware that this is not a high end motel and roll with what the area provides for the price.
Lastly, I noted a For Sale sign on the motel property with a Sold sign on it - not sure what this will bring in the future for this establishment.

Room Tip: Pick a first floor room if you cannot carry your bags up the steps to the second floor - no elevator...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank newadventure53
There are newer reviews for Empire Lakeshore Inn

Reviewed May 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I came up to Empire for the weekend and stayed at the Lakeshore Inn. The owner and housekeeper were both very friendly and helped us with any questions we had. The rooms were clean and the beds were pretty good too. It is a great place to stay if you plan on driving around the area or heading to the beach. The only thing that bothered me was that our room did not have a fridge. It wasn't a huge inconvenience, but if we had stayed there longer it would have been. I would definitely recommend this hotel, it may not be perfect, but I'm pretty low-maintenance so it was great for me.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Lyndsay09
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stopped here on our way to Sleeping Bear Dunes & it was cute, not great, but most people camp at the dunes so we didn't expect Hilton's. the street had a coffee shop maybe 2 but no one was open at 9 am on Sunday morning which seemed odd. So we just headed out for breakfast and a great day at the beach.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Most of the area B&Bs, inns, hotels, etc. had not lowered their rates to fall 'seasonal' yet, but the Lakeshore Inn had. For $79.00 we got a comfy room with AC, nice bath, fridge, microwave, and cable. It was easy walking to downtown Empire or the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore Park headquarters. Lake Michigan and a wonderful beach are a few blocks more past downtown, easily walkable.
Empire is much quieter, less tony (for sure) than Glenn Arbor and smack in the middle of SBD.
This inn is probably twice the price before Labor Day. Check it out!

Room Tip: We had the end room upstairs facing the street. This main route is very busy in the summer, but it w...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank LJo-12
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed here with family for 5 nights. The rooms were clean. The hotel guests were quiet. The hotel itself had some noise issues. The pipes shudder when anyone turns on and off the water. It didn't bother us enough to keep us from sleeping, but it was noticeable during our awake times. It isn't fancy, but serves its purpose very well. We liked the town of Empire much more than Glen Arbor. It is more relaxed and more neighborly than Glen Arbor. We would stay here again.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank monkeymom2
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This motel was straight out of a best selling novel ! Small town (village?) everthing was withing walking distance, gas station, grocery store, restuarant, beach, I just loved it!. The staff was friendly......and accommodating, the room was clean, good towels. We just stayed one night, but as I walked to the various stores, I was able to easily imagine myself retireing to a small peaceful town such as this.
I'm not certain how exposed this town is, but this place is a perfect getaway and "when" I come back I will stay a this motel again. loved it

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank caport1
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Everything was as you would expect for an older hotel. It was clean and neat and had some decor. The fridge was included in our room and was helpful. It is not available for all rooms. Everything we needed was included evcept a hair dryer. The towels were better quality than some and soap, tissues and shampoo were included. It is near a beautiful beach. My only complaint was the light bulb that was out and the very poor quality of the sheets. They were clean, but very thin. I hope they will be replaced soon.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mertz530
Also consider these accommodations in or near Empire
Northwoods Lodging
M-22 Inn Glen Arbor
M-22 Inn Glen Arbor
#2 of 3 in Glen Arbor
The Sylvan Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Empire Lakeshore Inn? Share your experiences!