“Best American cuisine in Northern Michigan?”

The Rowe Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Rowe Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Ellsworth
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Rowe Inn of Ellsworth, Michigan, offers an intimate, casual atmosphere of fine dining for Charlevoix, Torch Lake and all of Northern Michigan. You'll find our seasonal menus and expansive fine wine collection perfect for any occasion. Individuals, couples, groups and families are equally welcome and catered to. All our meals and wines are served with passion and commitment unsurpassed by anyone in Northern Michigan's fine dining industry.
Okemos, Michigan
“Best American cuisine in Northern Michigan?”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

We first visited the Rowe Inn many years ago on our vacations up north in Michigan. We found that they served excellent faire and had an expansive wine list from French Burgundy to California Cabernets, in a friendly country restaurant atmosphere. Veal with morels is amazing! The sommelier has excellent suggestions from their list. The only issue one might have is the remote location makes it difficult to dine there as frequently as one might like. Rowe Inn has a web site that is worth a look if you are thinking of visiting there.

• Visited October 2011
5 Thank DonMcMahon

Bartlett, IL
“What Happened to this gem?”
Reviewed September 27, 2011

What a huge disappointment. This used to be an amazing treat for my family and I when we traveled to Northern Michigan. The services was very good even though the owner or manager sat at a table just inside the front door and scolded the wait staff constantly. It was very distracting and the wait staff was on pins and needles. The food was a mixed bag for us. The Salmon with a molasses was good everyone enjoyed it. The bummer was the veal with morel sauce. The sauce overpowered the meat in a big way. The dessert was very good and enough to share with four. I would like to know the dates on the accolades on the website, my guess, they aren't recent.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank Mary B
San Francisco, California
“Charming Meal, Delicious Ice Cream”
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I've just spent three weeks in northern Michigan and most of my dining experiences were various degrees of tragic. This place was an exception. My party of seven arrived to be seated near a window overlooking a birdhouse being visited by a variety of birds. The staff was nice. The atmosphere charming in an old fashioned simple way. The food was pretty good but not excellent. My husband enjoyed a venison appetizer. I had a crab salad to start. It all seemed much better than most meals we had eaten in the area but not memorable enough that I would suggest making a special trip to eat here. If you do find yourself at this restaurant-- do get the caramel pecan ice cream they make in house. It was so good that I was forced to order two portions.

• Visited August 2011
2 Thank misanthropicdreamer
Detroit, Michigan
“This place is over-rated.”
Reviewed August 3, 2011

My pork was over cooked and one other person in my party of 6 also shared that their salmon was over done. The best part about the meal was the dessert. In hindsight, we should have just ordered that. Four others in my party had been there before and agreed it has gone downhill. What I find also interesting is that our waitress, somewhat attentive, did not offer any compensation for our overcooked food, despite a $618 spend by our table. I would tell anyone to save their money and go to Lulu's in Bellaire. The food is far better.

2 Thank Sushi33_M
The Deep South
“Dowdy Decor but Upscale Food”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Four of us dined here and ordered some delicious if small and overpriced appetizers ($15 range): stuffed morels, pate with pistachios; we also got an excellent bottle of California Zin for a very reasonable $32. Everyone in our party enjoyed the entrees - I thought my duck with cherry sauce was fine indeed, and my husband loved his steak. The only drawback to our experience at the Rowe Inn is that the lighting is depressing, as is the decor, which doesn't seem to have been updated in forever. The place looks more like a country breakfast restaurant than a fine dining establishment. Not that restaurants need to be flashy or hip, but the surroundings made me a bit sad.

• Visited July 2011