“Tim D”

Ranked #1 of 2 Elk Rapids B&B and Inns
Canton, Michigan
“Tim D”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our stay at Cairn House was very satisfying. We found our host Helen to be gracious and very accommodating. Her breakfasts were delicious and generous. The house was very neat and clean, as were the sleeping quarters. We thoroughly enjoyed hearing about Helen's yearly travels as a volunteer to distant locations around the world. She is quite a remarkable woman and her B&B reflects her unique experiences. We will definitely stay here again when in this area because it offers more than most hotels and motels.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Newton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

While my visit to Cairn B & B was brief, it was easy, comfortable and has my recommendation for anyone who finds themselves in the area. Helen was helpful even before I got there and gave me suggestions and directions once there for places I needed to go. The Inn is welcoming and clean, the rooms are spacious, and the common space relaxing for guests to gather. Helen has interesting, heartwarming stories about her yearly volunteer work in third-world countries. My admiration for her and enjoyment of her was an excellent take away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Batavia, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Had a wonderful stay at the Cairn house. Helen made us feel very welcomed and even suggested a few places to visit while we were there. Her cooking was also very good, but we especially enjoyed being able to talk to her and the other guests at breakfast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

On a recent quick trip to Elk Rapids to visit my sister, I found the Cairn House B&B. We were there for only one night and it was a delightful place to stay. On previous trips, I had driven to Acme to stay at a chain hotel. Now that I've discovered Cairn House, that will be the place I will always stay when I'm in the area. The room was very clean as was the whole beautiful house. The bed was very comfy as well. Helen is a delightful person who made a wonderful breakfast for us and then sat and chatted while we ate. She is a most interesting person who has many volunteering experiences in third-world countries. Although we have also travelled extensively in foreign countries, Helen's tales of things she did and saw had us in awe. The whole area is a wonderful vacation place and the town of Elk Rapids is beautiful and family friendly. I can't wait to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
columbus,ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

We totally fell in love with this Bed & Breakfast! The home is beautiful and very close to downtown Elk Rapids and the chain of lakes. We had a wonderful time visiting all of the surrounding lakes and small towns. The views are spectacular! Our room was tastefully decorated and very comfortable. Helen is an amazing person and a wonderful cook. We would definitely recommend Cairn House and will return.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Oriental Room and had a view of Elk Lake across the street.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New Paris, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at Cairn House for 5 days and totally enjoy the time. Helen cooks a quick breakfast every morning which is very delicious. The place is very clean and comfortable with beautiful interior and grounds. It's location is great for traveling to tourist attractions around the Traverse City area. Helen is a great inn keeper and fun to talk to about her travels around the world. The rooms are great with everything you need, including a quiet atmosphere. We will definitely return next year.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

I had the wonderful experience of spending four nights at the Carin House last month. The bed and breakfast was absolutely charming. The location was perfect for my needs. It was convenient to my family's overcrowded lakefront. I got to spend my days with family and quiet, restful nights at the Carin. Each morning I woke up and wondered what delicious breakfast was awaiting me. I was never disappointed. Helen has a wonderful personality and makes you feel like you are at home. She even went out of her way to print my airline boarding pass for me. The bed and breakfast was immaculately clean. I had the opportunity to walk the grounds which are perfectly manicured. I will definitely be going back to stay again.

Room Tip: Do not hesitate to stay at this charming bed a d breakfast.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,906 reviews
Parkshore Resort
Parkshore Resort
#23 of 40 in Traverse City

Been to Cairn House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!