“Treated us special!”
Review of Sweet Mama's - CLOSED

Sweet Mama's
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a nice place for lunch on our way back from Charlevoix. He really wanted fried whitefish and we were searching for a restaurant that served it. We stopped at Sweet Mamas. We saw they had fish and chips but it was cod. Our waitress asked John the cook/owner if he could make us what we wanted and he was happy to! The fish was moist with crispy skin. The fries were fresh cut and perfectly fried. The coleslaw and tarter sauce all homemade. It was a perfect meal. We were too full for dessert. Too bad because those were all fresh and homemade too. Worth a trip to Elk Rapids if you are in the area.

1  Thank debra1959

Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

We got there before 6pm this time and got seated right away. The coconut shrimp was delicous! The curried potatoes were not as I like. My husband said the catfish was very good. Friend said their meatloaf was outstanding! We will be back!

1  Thank jbirdjones
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Found this place to be slightly above average because of its affordability and desserts. Main courses were just so so. Everyone in our group thought the food was well presented but lacked the full flavor that "soul food" should deliver. The fried orders in our group were over fried and to compensate for that the chef used too much salt which made it even worse. Restaurant lacks a liquor license so don't expect to try to enhance your meal with a beer or cocktail. I cant complain too much, as their prices were very moderate for the food we received. Now the good part...their desserts were fantastic! We had one of each and after sharing desserts we were all thought that we should have just skipped our meal and went straight to desert. So my advice, eat somewhere else and come here for dessert or order a dessert to go. Happy Travels!!!!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Six people - no one was happy. Burgers had meatloaf-like texture, not cooked as asked. Pie was just so-so; crust store-bought. Fries cold. Will not be going back, even for a second try. Very clean place, though.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Ate here our first night in town based on reviews..we were not disappointed. Fish and chips were fantastic and the carrot cake I read about was to die for. Came back the next night for the honey sizzle catfish and chicken and waffles. Dinner was perfect! My only suggestion to the chef is up the braised cabbage portion..it is fantastic and I really wanted more. Might have been my favorite of the meal. We finished with key lime pie and peanut butter pie. If you go to Sweet Mamas, you MUST have these deserts! THANK YOU FOR A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE! I feel I should mention that I am a trained chef and have been in the restaurant business for 15 years. This place is a gem!

1  Thank Elizabeth7377