“AMAZING”

Ranked #5 of 22 Restaurants in Elk Rapids
Cuisines: American
“AMAZING”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

The service was great! Happy, friendly, understanding!
The amount of food you receive for the price is amazing!! Beats fast food ANY DAY!!!
Also, CASH or CHECK ONLY!!

• Visited August 2014

Kewadin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Soul Food in Elk Rapids at the best prices”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Kolu's restaurant has the best and only Soul Food in NW Lower Michigan. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly. I had the BBQ Chicken, Hawaiian Cole Slaw and Greens, real Greens like I used to have as a child growing up in Miami Florida and when I lived in Kalamazoo. The atmosphere is "down home" and you are served cafeteria style. I love the prices but would still return if the prices were higher. Food quantity is very generous

I haven't had the pleasure of meeting the owner Kolu, yet. I would like to thank her for her excellent cooking. .I congratulate Kolu for building her business to the point that she now has an indoor restaurant with some inside and outside tables or you can takeout. We will definitely return to this lovely woman and her restaurant frequently.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank kcsinc
Traverse City, Michigan
“I LOVE the ribs”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I am hooked on the BBQ'd ribs… I will drive from the foodie town of Traverse City to Elk Rapids just for the ribs. The fact that the price that includes two sides is amazing.
I just had some ribs from a food truck in Traverse City at the Little Fleet ( $ 15.00 for a half slab and a measly side of coleslaw). Wow, what a disappointment in comparison.
Stop in to Kolu's if you are anywhere near Elk Rapids. You won't be disappointed.
Pay three times as much in Traverse City, and you just might be.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank jod971
Naperville, Illinois
“A welcomed surprise”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Kolu's is a surprise find in Elk Rapids. It's a blend of Soul Food and Jamaican. Fried chicken, Jerk chicken, ribs . . . all of them delicious. You buy a protein and two sides (the red beans and rice are a mildly spicy treat for sure). Every plate is $5. A price that's hard to beat. The atmosphere is a little unusual - sort of like a barely spruced up single-wide trailer, but the food more than compensates. The portions are large so its hard to leave hungry. Get there early in the day - the closer to noon the better. When the food is gone Kolu is done serving. I half expect Diners, Drive-ins and Dives to show up there one day.

• Visited July 2014
Traverse City, Michigan
“Welcome Back!!”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Kolu and her "$5 meal Deal" have reopened for the year, so as promised, I'm back with a review. This woman with the oh-so-big heart just kicked off the season with her annual "Free Community Lunch", held last Saturday from 12-2. It featured the same mouth-wateringly delicious offerings as last year...but the plans are much bigger this time around.

Starting in early June, Kolu's plans are to offer a daily themed buffet, with menus such as Mexican, American, Italian, Seafood...and African! The regular menu that we like so much will still be available (the meat loaf, fried/curried/jerk chickens, ribs, pulled pork) and with those same out-of-this-world sides like the mac 'n cheese, mashed potatoes, collard greens, beans 'n rice, etc. And all of them - old or new - at that same ridiculous $5 (?!!) for a main, 2 sides, and a drink. Plus, if you want to put together a sampler plate - as I'm sure I will want to do on African night - it's available for just a bit more.

The walls are nicely decorated now, and I especially like what I'm calling the "butterfly room." Lots more color accents inside too. The picnic and dining tables are again outside, and as before protected by those welcoming palapas. That's usually our choice, as it was last Saturday.

It's an ambitious project, but as I wrote in my very first review, it all comes down to the food and the value. It's simply some of the tastiest around. And for $5? If you find a better deal anywhere, please come back here to T-A and let us know. I enjoy writing on this website...I love to travel...and I can't think of one single other spot I've ever found anywhere that can match it.

• Visited May 2014