“Welcome Back!!”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Traverse City, Michigan
“Welcome Back!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

Kolu and her "$5 meal Deal" have reopened for the year, so as promised, I'm back with a review. This woman with the oh-so-big heart just kicked off the season with her annual "Free Community Lunch", held last Saturday from 12-2. It featured the same mouth-wateringly delicious offerings as last year...but the plans are much bigger this time around.

Starting in early June, Kolu's plans are to offer a daily themed buffet, with menus such as Mexican, American, Italian, Seafood...and African! The regular menu that we like so much will still be available (the meat loaf, fried/curried/jerk chickens, ribs, pulled pork) and with those same out-of-this-world sides like the mac 'n cheese, mashed potatoes, collard greens, beans 'n rice, etc. And all of them - old or new - at that same ridiculous $5 (?!!) for a main, 2 sides, and a drink. Plus, if you want to put together a sampler plate - as I'm sure I will want to do on African night - it's available for just a bit more.

The walls are nicely decorated now, and I especially like what I'm calling the "butterfly room." Lots more color accents inside too. The picnic and dining tables are again outside, and as before protected by those welcoming palapas. That's usually our choice, as it was last Saturday.

It's an ambitious project, but as I wrote in my very first review, it all comes down to the food and the value. It's simply some of the tastiest around. And for $5? If you find a better deal anywhere, please come back here to T-A and let us know. I enjoy writing on this website...I love to travel...and I can't think of one single other spot I've ever found anywhere that can match it.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank playaguya

Traverse City, Michigan
“Winter Break...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

We are regulars at Kolu's, and we love her and her cooking. The food is oh-so-tasty and the price unbeatable. But after another recent satisfying visit, we learned that she is temporarily closing for the next couple of winter months. I'll be back with another review after she reopens....

• Visited December 2013
Wellston
“Shhhhh....lets keep this our little secret!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

OK, it isn't a secret that this is a great place to eat or take out food. My brother lives just north of here and we went here for dinner. Wow, what a great deal and great food! I don't understand how they can serve so much food and such good food for only $5!!
That Saturday I tried the ribs with two sides, my friend have the Bar-b-Qued chicken. Great food and three days, later we returned and I had the pulled pork and she had the Bar-b-Qued chicken again. I asked about a vegetarian meal and the owner said 4 sides for $5! The sides all looked great.
This is ot a fancy place but you get your food cafeteria style and eat inside, out on the patio, or the popular take-out. One thing, the meatloaf is so good it is usually gone by dinner time.

• Visited September 2013
Wixom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Quick and delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I had the pulled pork with mashed potatoes and green beans. It was very good. My husband walked into the restaurant and wanted to leave, I wanted to give it a try. It was not where I would normally dine. It was cheap and fast.

Visited August 2013
Michigan
“Too tired to cook at home??”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

So much easier to stop here and take it home and they are prepared for just that, If you want, you can either eat inside or under the umbrella outside. It is not a fancy place at all and that might turn off some people but if you want good food for decent price, then this could be it. You have two sides and a meat serving for $5.00 (jerk chicken, pulled pork, meat load, etc) or $6.00 for a nice serving of ribs. Sides can be from the 3 cold offerings to several hot offerings. This is not a waitress type restaurant. You go to the meal counter and tell her what you want and she dishes you up--foam take out or plate. Fast and efficient

• Visited August 2013