“Worth the drive from TC”

Pearl's New Orleans Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Elk Rapids
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Livonia, Michigan
“Worth the drive from TC”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

This restaurant was recommended by my sister and dad after eating here last summer while attending a conference at Grand Traverse Resort. It's about a 20 minute drive north of TC.

We arrived around 7pm on a Tuesday and there was still a line out the door waiting for tables. We only had to wait about 15 minutes in the covered patio before we were buzzed (loved the really cute lobster shaped buzzers). A server was out there taking drink orders.

Our server Jen was amazing. She described the entire menu and answered lots of questions. Jen also let us know practically the entire menu could be changed into special requests for cooking methods, quantities, substitutions, etc.

I wanted shrimp but only saw one entrée that included it but I didn't want the heavy pasta that came with it. Jen suggested an appetizer of Cajun Shrimp with a side of Dirty Rice instead. Perfect! BF wanted something spicy so he went with the Jambalaya . It was good as it was but we were told the spice level could be dialed back if desired.

In the end, we were both practically licking our plates to get every drop of sauce. We've been to New Orleans and I wouldn't go as far as saying it was better but Pearl's is definitely worth the drive. It was the best meal we had on our 3 day trip to TC.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank MaryBluEyes

Gladwin, Michigan
“Never Miss”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I am frequently in the Traverse City area for work and I almost always drive to Elk Rapids to eat at Pearl's. I am new to the Cajun cuisine and can't get enough of it. I go there so often that I have joined their frequent diner club program. Their menu offers many opportunities to sample Cajun staples such as Etouffee, Alligator, Shrimp, Crawfish, Cajun Popcorn & many others. If you are travelling through Elk Rapids, stop in and excite your taste buds with a spicy repast at Pearl's.

1 Thank RickL4570
Kenosha, Wisconsin
“Unexpected authentic Cajun dining in northern Michigan”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We were advised to try dining at Pearls on our last trip to the Traverse City ,Mi area 2 years ago.We were very pleasantly surprised and had to dine there again on our most recent visit to the area in mid June,2014.We tried Sunday brunch this time and were very pleased again.Pearls is in a generally residential neighborhood in Elk Rapids,MI.The interior decor is great-colorful Cajun themed paintings throughout,even in the restrooms.Giant alligator hanging from the ceiling.Walls covered with shelves full of old bottles,small cars,and all sorts of bric a brack.Full bar with lots of specialty cocktails(and daily happy hour). Excellent food as well,all with a southern flair.I had the quiche made with jalepeno bacon,spinach and provolone cheese-a large slice-served with cheddar cheese hash browns,fresh fruit cup and fresh made berry muffins.Had southern coffee with chicory.My wife had a spinach & cheese omelet served with all same sides.Cost including beverage & tax about $15 per person.Full menu available for viewing online.Great southern food-last time I had lunch with a spicy fried chicken dish.A fun place for an enjoyable,casual meal or drinks & appetizers at a moderate price-in an unexpected location.

“Gumbo lovin!”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

If I hadn't eaten there myself, I wouldn't have believed that some of the best cajan food you could ever eat would be found in Northern Michigan!
I've been to New Orleans many times. I love cajan food. This was authentic and delicious! The service was excellent and the prices were not bad!
Indianapolis to Elk Rapids is seven hours....It's worth it!

Northville
“Excellent Dinner!”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

After years of summer vacations in Traverse City it was a pleasant surprise to find a new addition to our great restaurant list. The Crawdad Risotto, Beef Brisket,Jambalaya and Etouffee ware excellent. Large portions and great ingredients. Our waitress, Dede, was very helpful in making our choices of heat level and entrees. Desserts were large and well prepared. We will return often.