“The English Inn is charming; the ambience, accommodations and service are great!”
Review of The English Inn

The English Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Eaton Rapids B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 6, 2010

My wife and I recently celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary with a two night stay at The English Inn in Eaton Rapids Michigan. The Inn was charming; the ambience, accommodations and service exceeded our expectations. The staff was eager to please us, very friendly and courteous. The food was excellent; our dinners, breakfasts and lunch were delicious. The grounds were very pretty and we sincerely liked everything about the Inn.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 1, 2010

Our group of 10 adults were celebrating the matriarch's 70th birthday, so three couples stayed in the Honeysuckle Cottage and the other two stayed in the main house. It was a perfect set-up, because after supper on Friday night all of us gathered in the living room of the Honeysuckle Cottage where we played games, talked and laughed through the night without bothering any other guests. The full kitchen was great for serving cake and ice cream and appetizers as well. Everyone had a simply beautiful room and the breakfast in the morning was superb. We will definitely go back again some day.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2010

We have visited this inn winter, spring summer and fall. The chateaubriand dinners by the open fire are decadent and the breakfasts wonderful. The luxurious rooms are furnished with antiques, the beds exquisitely comfortable. To add to the indulgence, fresh coffee or tea is delivered to your door each morning at the time you request. There is a cozy bar on the lower level with a patio overlooking the river. In nice weather we have wandered the grounds where we scared up deer, and sat on benches by the rushing river.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2010

What a wonderful experience!! I could not have asked for anything more spectacular from my husband. We stayed in the Windsor Room that we learned was the original Master bedroom and the fireplace was a delightful end to a perfect day. We had a lovely dinner with great service and after dinner drinks in the charming Dickens Pub. I can not say enough good things about their staff, everyone was well informed, very friendly and helpful. We were fortunate to get a beautiful day so early in the Spring and walked the the grounds and along the banks of the Grand River. If you enjoy antiques, old world charm and elegance, this is the perfect destination. Romance is alive and well at The English Inn and I am excited that our next visit is already scheduled.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2010

Wow, I am extremely disappointed. My husband and I booked a room at the Englsih Inn to celebrate since we are expecting our first child. We have stayed at many b&bs before and always had great experiences. Sadly, the English Inn was a TERRIBLE experience. We stayed in the cambridge room at the cottage. When we were shown to our room we were greeted by a disgusting musty smell. Despite the cold weather, we were forced to open the windows to try and air out the room. The entire place was badly in need of a cleaning and restoration, it was very depressing how outdated the establishment is. The window air conditioners and ratty carpet greatly detract from the charm. We had dinner in the onsite resaturant that evening and someone should PLEASE tell the "chef" that drowning everything in sauce does not replace basics-such as seasoning with at least salt and pepper. The food was BLAND. At night our sleep was disrupted-you can hear EVERYTHING your nieghbors are doing through the paper thin walls. However the worst part of all was the breakfast. We were seated and given a small glass of juice. We ordered our entrees and waited 30 minutes for them to arrive. During that time we drank our beverages. When our server finally brought our breakfast we had nothing to drink. The waitress walked past our table a dozen times and never offered a refill or a glass of water. We choked down our food dry and when I was desperate enough I had to go to her and ASK for a glass of water. It took her 10 minutes to bring it to me. When I resumed eating I was disgusted to find a hair nestled under my waffle when I moved it with my fork. Needless to say, we left immediately. I had wanted to spend a romantic weekend with my husband celebrating this new chapter in our lives and I wish I could go back in time and stay ANYWHERE but at the English Inn.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Newlywed818
Reviewed January 25, 2010

I searched trip advisor to find that perfect place to celebrate my Anniversary and found it at the English Inn. I decided on the Ivy Cabin because I wanted pure seclusion away from other guests. The cabin has a country chic decor after walking through the main living room. The website does not mention that there is a little kitchen with a full size fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. The kitchen would have been perfect if it only had some plates and flatware. The bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows and extra blankets. The fireplace kicked out the heat! The Jacuzzi tub was extra deep and there was plenty of room for two. There was a small deck off the sitting room and the views were awesome, even in the winter. Candles would have made the evening the best. I did not see any notes that prohibited them, I should have asked.

Breakfast that comes with the room is extra special with a choice of bacon and egg quiche, feta cheese and tomato quiche, bacon, egg and pepper casserole or strawberry French toast with bacon. We both chose the French toast which was made with real cream. Breakfast started with a mango, cranberry coconut muffin and fruit cup, with choice of juice.

Dinner at the Inn was incredible. The lobster bisque was awesome. I would even drive here just to have dinner. I would be so tempted to stay the night.

We toured the main home and I would be happy to stay in any of the rooms. I would recommend the English Inn any day.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gwkelley
Reviewed August 6, 2009

My husband and I had a wonderful anniversary celebration at the English Inn. Besides the beautiful accommodations, we had an amazing dinner at the restaurant on property and the staff made our anniversary a memorable experience that we will always remember.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express Charlotte
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#3 of 3 in Charlotte

Been to The English Inn? Share your experiences!