“Management... or lack of.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Eastport
Barnes Park Campground
Reviewed September 9, 2013

DO NOT pay in advance!!! I paid for 2 nights the day I arrived even though they only asked for one nights rent. I thought I could save them the hassle of coming back the next day.Something unforeseen happened and I had to leave after the first night. Eileen [--], "The Manager" was unavailable to help me at the time. I phoned her later in the day and she informed me that there were no refunds.This is the weekend after Labor Day and I can assure there was no one waiting for my spot. Very poor management bordering on rude. Will never go back!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank ted e
barnesparkcampground, Manager at Barnes Park Campground, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

NO REFUNDS has always been the Park Policy as this Gentleman states he was aware of this and still paid in advance.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I called to cancel my reservation the first day I had the site booked for and was assuming I would only be out a night's fee plus the 10.00 reservation fee. All the phone attendant could say is uhhh...I don't know how that works and that someone would be there at 8:00 in the morning and would call me. No call first thing in the morning so I called them as I needed to know what situation was. They told me they had cancelled my reservation and are not refunding any of the money I paid for the three nights of camping. They informed me that they had filled my site already too. Maybe they should reword their refund policy on their web site as it states "24 hours after the arrival date No Shows will forfeit entire deposit and the site unless the park is notified." Well I notified the park well before 24 hours.
It's a shame they couldn't take responsibility for their miscommunication and chose to keep my money especially when they had no problems rebooking the site so quickly. It was an enjoyable place to camp the year before. Sorry to say I won't be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank bluesea99
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Beautiful Barnes Park, right on the shores of East Grand Traverse Bay, is not only a great campground and place to hike and enjoy the beach and forested trails, but also is the home of the Antrim County Petoskey Stone Festival, www.petoskeystonefestival.com, held on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend every year. The festival is filled with fun events, food, music, and wonderful presentations all offered free to the public, so plan on being at Barnes Park in Eastport, Michigan, on Memorial Day weekend. The park is sprayed annually for bugs, so no worries about mosquitoes or black flies, either!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 6, 2012

The view is gorgeous, and the sand is nice and clean. Can't say anything about the camping as we just spent a few hours at the beach. The only downside I saw as far as the beach was that from the edge of the water in to the bay quite a bit were rocks. Slippery rocks the size of your palm or more. Not great for little kids. Not great for anyone as we all were having a hard time walking over them.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank trvlKC
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I am originally from the area and have many options of places to stay, but this is my #1 choice. The campground is one of the best I have ever been to. The sites are wooded and mostly private, the bathrooms are always clean and well stocked. But the best thing of all is the other campers you meet, most are so friendly and considerate of others. I lost my brand new camera right before we were ready to leave, someone saw my flyers and called me that they had found it. They mailed it to me. Nice honest people!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank tcreller
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Nice campground. Bathrooms are clean. That's so important! Family friendly. Dog friendly. Staff seems a bit odd, and a bit unorganized, but were nice. Enjoyed our 4 night stay. The easy access to Traverse City and points north makes it convenient.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Cmr013
Reviewed August 15, 2012

This is a favorite place of ours for camping. It is always very clean - the beach, the grounds, the well-kept playground and field, and bathrooms/showers. Yes, there are insects outdoors, but this year's weather seems to have doomed the mosquito population. There are several convenient places to get ice and firewood. The campground is quiet, and the staff patrols throughout the night. The highlight is watching the spectacular sunsets over Lake Michigan. We wish more sites were reservable, because arriving during a peak time can be a bit of a gamble. The sites are arranged well, with plenty of trees to provide shade and reasonable separation from neighboring sites.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Bob R

Been to Barnes Park Campground? Share your experiences!