“Don't do it!! Find another place to stay!” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Tawas Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in East Tawas
michigan
“Don't do it!! Find another place to stay!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2007

We booked this place for a business gathering and the availability of a large block of rooms. The location was nice.
Unfortunately that is the only thing I can say about the stay.

The rooms were not clean to anyones satisfaction. Trash was left in one visitors room along with a used condom wrapper, the bedding was wrinkled and didn't show signs of being recently changed. We had a rather large spider in residence behind our bathroom door complete with a nice web. The carpeting in our room was filthy, we never took our shoes off the entire time there.The air condition was uncontrollable. Everything in our room was damp. The beds are doublesize and not queensize. I usally make my self a cup of coffee in the room but I didn't even want to do that, because it would require my using the cups and pot.

The wait staff or rather the bartender was rude and loud about her being inconveinced by our group. The statement she made was "I'm not getting him a beer. Don't they know I am also taking care of the restaurant customers too." I was standing there at the time of this statement and I turned and looked at the restaurant partons and there were two tables of two taken. If she is unable to handle a crowd maybe she is in the wrong business!

This place seemed to me to not be a very busy place and should have relished the idea of having such a large business group there. If for no other reason but for repeat business!!!!
If they do a fine business now, then I guess it won't matter that they lost at least twenty families of repeat buisness.... but I would be concerned about the word of mouth business that will ultimately destroy them. My recomendation is to find another place to stay. Oh, we did have one waitress who was very nice, pleasent and helpful. She was the young lady who waited on our party for lunch at the water side bar and restuarant. Didn't catch her name but she was the only bright spot at this so called resort.

• Liked — close to Suttons Bay shopping
  • Disliked — filthy rooms & rude staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank trvlot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Brownstown, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2007

While this hotel is well located and walking distance to everything, it is in serious need of updating. The rooms are clean but dingy and musty smelling. We had ants everywhere including in the bed! The beach is in poor condition. Rocks are everywhere as well as empty bottles and cigarette butts. We were also disturbed by the amount of goose droppings lining the beach. I would stay in the area again, but will need to look for better property. I certainly didn't feel it was worth the price.

• Liked — Location... close to downtown
  • Disliked — Dirty unkept beach
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Jodie618

Travelers are raving about these East Tawas hotels

Detroit
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2007

I booked a two night stay over the phone several weeks in advance. Arrived at the hotel and stayed the first night. During my second day, while I was relaxing on the beach, hotel personnel approached me and stated that the room I was in had been double booked for that night and I needed to move my luggage to another room. The second room was smaller than the original and a smoking room, but I was told that was all that was available. The hotel made no effort to compensate me for this inconvenience and led me to believe it was my fault not calling back and confirming my telephone reservations. The staff at Tawas Bay Beach Resort are very unprofessional and extremely untrained in dealing with customer issues. For many years I vacationed at the East Tawas Holiday Inn, but since the change in ownership I would not recommend staying at this hotel ever. Avoid the Tawas Bay Beach Resort and its staff!

• Liked — Leaving the parking lot!
  • Disliked — Very rude and unprofessional staff....everywhere!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank companyman07
Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2007

We stayed a few days at this hotel, and while it was clean, and close to everything, it wasn't worth the price. It did have an added bonus of a full breakfast free, which was very nice. The rooms were hit or miss if you had a refrigerator or not. When i called to the front desk to request one, they said they didn't know exactly which rooms had one, and it was just the luck of the draw if you got one. No rooms had microwaves. These two amenities are standard in many hotels, and that will make us not want to stay there again, as we ate out all the time and had leftovers we couldn't save. Also a fridge is nice for pop, etc. Not very family friendly in that aspect.

• Liked — location, free breakfast
  • Disliked — no microwaves, hit or miss on fridges
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lrswami
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2007

I walked into this hotel, and was impressed by such a nice clean place for a tiny town of East Tawas!!! The food was excellent, considering hotel food usuallly isnt that good. I travel 6 months out of the year. I know hotels and this is a good one!

• Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
northern lower Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2007

Very poor condition, run down. I was given a room with no heat on and the outside temp near zero. After an hour of the heat on high and the heat lights on in the bathroom, it was still cold. I asked for another room that was warmer. I was told by the clerk that I could have a similar style room where the heat had been turned on but it would cost 10.00 more because of the location. I was stunned by such an outrageous lack of customer service. I travel constantly on business, both on an international and local level and have never been treated that way. I checked out right away and went to the local Days Inn. Although it didn't have a restaurant, it was new, modern and I was treated like royalty.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank greenwoodsfarm
livonia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2006

We went to this hotel (which is no longer a holiday inn) to seek refuge from a terrible storm that had flooded our camp site. What I got was worse then sleeping in water. The room smelled like cat urine. The cable was out and the bath tub was dirty. I woke with bug bites all over my body. I did not get one bite camping but had twenty eight bites the night I stayed in this hotel! I went to the desk manager and she wanted to comp my room but the hotel managers said no. They said they would pay for me to go to an ER for medical treatment but would not take anything off the room. How ridiculous is that....spend my day and waste my time as well as waste insurance money to sit in the ER for bug bites. I don't know if they are Flea bites or bed bugs but I do know that I was miserable for two weeks with them. Don't stay here...sleep in your car instead.

• Disliked — Flea Bites
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
Oscoda Lakeside Hotel
Oscoda Lakeside Hotel
#7 of 10 in Oscoda
Huron House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Tawas Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!