“Don't try to cancel”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in East Tawas
Munger
“Don't try to cancel”
Reviewed September 22, 2010

We had stayed here a couple times before even though the hotel is overpriced has alot to be desired but the beach is beautiful and the lake nice for the kids. This time the weather was going to be bad so we decided to cancel since we wouldn't be able to use the only good thing the hotel had to offer. I called 3 days in advanced and after the phone rang about 20 times someone answered, couldn't find the reservation and then finally told me I was all set. Problem is I was still billed. The manager Tracie is very unprofessional and I was advised first by a message and then by a letter -- She didn't even contact me by phone -- that her staff is throroughly trained in cancellation procedures and under no circumstances did her staff make an error. I called her and went round and round with her and am now disputing it through the credit card company. My advice is stay somewhere else and just use their beach facilities, since it's open to the public.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank FamilyFunTravel1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed September 10, 2010

I stayed with my husband and 2 young children for two days. It was the worst experiance ever. I went to check in and the room wasnt ready. I was guareenteed a three pm check in it was 5:00 before i ever got to see my room. The following day I was walking down the hall and overheard a short blond women yelling at a young women telling her " I never want to see you clean a floor like that again Do as I trained you." That is something that should be done in private. She was the same young women who cleaned my room and it looked very nice. Probably nicer then it was the first night. we then went to the restuarant the food was awful we waited 45 min for something that should have only taken 20min. The trip was awful. I would have had more fun sleeping outside under a tree. the price should have been about $90 a night.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed September 8, 2010

We have stayed at the Tawas Bay Resort many times and we stayed there even more when it was the Holiday Inn. We love the location and setup of the resort. When we tried to get a room for one night we were told there was a two night minimum but to call back. We walked in and were gouged about $30 more than their online prices because they could. They were pretty full and the pool area was very busy because of the bad weather. It was the only time that we have come to the resort and found the pool water cold!!! The heated pool is the main reason we come here summer, winter, or fall...
Hoping that this was a fluke, we will try it one more time and if the water is cold it will be our last visit.

• Stayed September 2010
3 Thank tms94
Troy, Michigan
Reviewed August 24, 2010

The good: parking for motorcycles allowed under front awning, cod dinner delecious, lake view beauitful

The bad: waited approx an hour and a half for food, anybody could use the beach/tiki bar... stay at a cheaper place & use this beach, the pool was so over chlorinated, it was beyond useable, it's all about the value. if i paid $119/night, it would be perfect and I'd give a positive review. for $171/night, i should at least get a continental breakfast included.

do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else and walk over to use the amenities.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank fellowbiker
Shelby Township, Michigan
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I had found our stay to be very nice. The room was clean & comfortable. The food & drink coupons were used for all our meals during the stay. Food was good, enjoyed every meal. The room was very quite, (Bayside) I did see some local traffic on the beach and a few using the private docks not a big deal but feel the Hotel should curb that use as this is intended for the guests. Beach was very clean and found our stay enjoyable. I had booked a few day's over the Labor day weekend.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Northville, Michigan
Reviewed June 21, 2010

I'm not one to write a review with the busy life I have, but I had to take to the time to let everyone know if your looking for a place to stay and you want a vacation that will leave priceless memories this is the place. I had reserved approx 8 rooms for 2 nights for family and friends, the kids had a great time swimming on an almost perfect beach, the water is kid friendly with no big drop offs, this was great for my 8 years old and his cousins. The hotel rooms were very nice and bigger that most, new carpet was in all the rooms I had reserved, we also had lake view rooms, Wow what a view. Don't be afraid of this hotel even it is a retired holiday Inn, you would never know it from the inside. The staff was fantastic and very co operative with our every need. Thanks again to everyone there our stay was an AAAAAA++++++++. One other thing if you love camp fires on the beach this is the place, you can start your own fire and be left alone of you could asked anyone of the worked for help and I know they would do it for you. I preferred doing it my self and teaching the kids how grandpa use to start his camp fire. Enjoy I'm sure you will be leaving comments like this. Also if you are a boater the launch is 2 doors down and they have a very nice dock for your boat. their is so much to do in the Tawas area if you enjoy the outdoors, beach, lakes swimming etc... Have a great time I did..

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Weloveuppermichigan
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed June 2, 2010

We have stayed many times at this fabulous resort. The rooms are clean and fresh, with comfortable beds, and now new carpet!. The staff is friendly and they aim to please. The Topsider Restaurant has great food at reasonable prices. It can be a casual breakfast while enjoying views of the bay, or in the evening it can be romantic for a special celebration. The sugar sand beach is like paradise! Or you can enjoy the heated indoor pool, hot tub, and the pool area has been recently remodeled. The surrounding town is quaint, many specialty shops. Enjoy a stroll on the pier, taking in the sights of boats and sunrises. New owners have made phenomenal improvements!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Oscoda Lakeside Hotel
Oscoda Lakeside Hotel
#9 of 10 in Oscoda
Huron House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Tawas Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!