“Previous poor reviews were, sadly, right on the money”

Tawas Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in East Tawas
Reviewed August 2, 2009

I had a bad feeling about our trip to Tawas Bay Beach Resort after reading some of the previous negative reviews. I tried to put them out of my mind and hope for the best. Unfortunately, they were accurate and I was not all that pleased with our stay. Our room was a Bay-side, Non-smoking Jacuzzi King room. Nice enough, but it had a window that wouldn't close. The sink in the bathroom didn't drain, the toilet made odd noises periodically and the shower head was much too low. I'm 5'7" and had to stoop to get my head under it to wash my hair. The beach bar was nice but it closed at 10 p.m. the first night we were there (we stayed two nights). Since we got there at 9:55 and were informed that it was "last call" we had one drink and then ventured inside to the lounge for another round. Inside we found that it was "Karaoke Night" and the place was packed with non-guests of the resort. Couldn't find a seat anywhere so we ended up just going back to our room. The next day we did a little shopping in the morning and had lunch at a wonderful place called "Barnacle Bill's". It's sort of a dive bar, but I HIGHLY recommend it. Great burgers, drinks and atmosphere (even in the afternoon). The weather was finally nice enough to relax on the beach so we headed back to our room to change and hit the sand. The resort didn't have enough chairs for all of the people out on the beach, but luckily we managed to snag two for ourselves before they all disappeared. We heard many families asking staff whether there were more chairs available and each time they were told there weren't any more. Although the beach is supposed to be for guests of the resort only, I truly don't think they police that at all. The beach bar is open to the public and since it is on the beach I imagine there are many people who just wander in off the street and use the beach even though they are not guests. After some time in the sun we headed out to the Iosco County Fair for a little while. When we returned later that evening we found there were NO parking places available anywhere. I was absolutley livid. How can I be a guest of this resort and not even have a place to park? I wanted to go in and complain but my husband found a spot in a dimly lit area marked "employee parking" so we left the car there. There was another "event" apparently going on in the lounge (a DJ or something) so the spots were all taken by people who aren't guests of the resort. For the prices they charge to stay there ($209/night for jacuzzi room) they should try to cater to their guests a bit more. I truly do not think I would book another stay at this establishment and I would NOT recommend it to anyone else. This was the only trip we planned for a "summer vacation" and it ended up being a big disappointment. When I researched where to stay I chose this place (despite the negative reviews) because it had everything - beach, bar, restaurant, pool. Turned out the only thing it had going for it was that it was within walking distance to other places to eat and drink. At $200+ per night, it's not worth it.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank traveldivaMI

Reviewed June 3, 2009

We had a great time ! Rooms were exceptionally clean. We have stayed there when it was a holiday inn and poorly run. The new owners are putting money back in and it really shows. Love the location. Very close to downtown. Food was awesome. Looking forward to visiting again this summer and spending time on the beach and the tiki bar. Oh yeah love the new beds. Thanks for the great service.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2009

It's simply becoming a burden on the beach. This used to have a beautiful hotel (Holiday Inn)-- the nearby schools would rent it out for an evening and host Prom there, decorating the interior beautifully. Tourists would come from miles around to stay for an evening or two, and enjoy the romantic atmosphere of a pool overlooking the beach, or a hand-in-hand walk on the marina dock.

Then it all went down hill. The Holiday Inn was sold by its previous owners, and converted to "Tawas Bay Beach Resort". It's pretty much been left to deteriorate while the current owners get as much money as they can out of it. You can still see the marks from "The Holiday Inn" letters behind the pathetic sign they put up, and the wallpaper screams to be replaced.

It's cheap, and a semi-decent stay if you're looking to pinch a few pennies.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank betsbabe
Reviewed March 6, 2009

We commend the staff and servers for the excellent seervice we had over the weekend. The rooms were clean and quiet. The food was very good and the entertainment was great. What else could you ask for. Plus it was an excellent value.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pjs48661
Reviewed October 14, 2008

We recently stayed here for one night while heading north. The restaurant food was good. The staff was friendly and helpful. The location on the beach was delightful. However, it is an older hotel with corridors that twist and turn. The hotel would benefit from a renovation. It was also relatively expensive.

Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank naranja10
Reviewed September 29, 2008

Tawas: Tawas Bay Beach Resort, Tawas, MI: "Northern Michigan Sleeper"
Date: August 8, 2008
Reviewer: Trip Advisor Member, Livonia Michigan

Most recently a group of friends, including my wife and I took our summer annual trip. Again, we choose Tawas, Michigan. We rendevous once a weekend every summer to enjoy the companionship of our friends and an area we all come to enjoy, northern MIchigan's Lake Huron.

This past summer's trip we decided to stay at the "Tawas Bay Beach Resort" again. The rooms, immaculate. The View, spectacular. Service, polite and responsive to any and all of our needs. All of us involved, a party of 14, could not say enough positive things about our visit, the weather and our place of lodging. Excellant, excellant, excellant.

Are we going back to the "Tawas Bay Beach Resort" next year? You bet!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 21, 2008

Average hotel with an average restaurant, but given the other mom & pop hotels in the area, its much better than anything else. Great location, near town, on the bay, with a really fun outdoor bar in the summer. Beach is ok, worth driving 10 minutes to the State Park if you want a nice sandy beach with waves. The beach by the hotel is ok at best.

I would recommend staying here, nice family place

Stayed: July 2008
No photo provided
Scenic Resort
#4 of 4 in East Tawas
Gold Coast Family Cottages

Been to Tawas Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!