We found this property while searching for a room in the middle of MSU graduation week. Given limited choices and decent reviews we opted to give Gatehouse Suites a try.
We had no trouble finding the location and with ample parking and the proximity to MSU and restaurants the location was perfect for our purposes.
The staff, be it front desk or cleaning were all friendly and all seemed to like their jobs (can't fake that).
We checked into 613 which was a ground floor (more about that later) 525ft mini suite, complete with a fireplace, TONS of closet/drawer space, a small kitchen complete with a stove, microwave, refrigerator, sink/disposal, minimal cookware and dishes/silverware with table for dining or paperwork. Additionally, there was a comfortable sofa and chairs. The bed was a queen (guys, how about making King an option in some rooms) and had a somewhat harder mattress than the norm (works for me & my wife, but might be objectionable to some) along with a large number (5?) of pillows.
With the exception of one of the sheer window covers (which also features a blackout curtain for night use) which appeared to have potting soil dirt stuck to it, we found that the suite was very, very clean and well supplied with towels, soap, shampoo and a hair dryer.
Additional nice touches:
1) Water pressure never changed in the shower and never had even a hint of running out of hot water.
2) Since it is a low density property, not a lot of people noise.
3) Breakfast buffet. An almost reasonable selection. We'll call this a neutral rating. Why. M-F this buffet is open 7-9AM. During peak periods seating is limited (although one could certainly simply carry food back to one's own room). More annoying, the motel was out of many food items by the 8:15 that we arrived each morning and we saw no attempt to restock this buffet as items ran out. A minimal nod to fresh fruit (they did have canned stuff) would have been nice, even if it was just a banana, apple, or orange.
4) On-site guest laundry was nice, along with a reasonable exercise area and pictured small basketball goal ... with MSU insignia.
Perhaps one of the biggest plusses was the room rate that we paid. During out stay, the room rate was considerably less expensive than a chain hotel/motel and we felt that we received much better value for our money with our stay at Gatehouse.
1) Exiting onto Grand River is simply a challenge. Between pedestrians, joggers, runners, bicyclists and two way traffic it takes patience and even some luck to get out of the parking lot.
2) We saw several people struggling to lug their luggage up the stairs to their second floor suites. Second floor suites are decidedly not recommended for anyone that might have issues navigating stairs and an elevator isn't an option.
3) Footsteps, dropped luggage and the like are audible when staying on the first floor. At one point we thought that we might have heard a re-enactment of Jimmy Hoffa’s demise. Each time the 2nd floor toilet flushes, the water rushes down the pipe in 1st floor suite and is audible. Sadly, if these types of noises drive you crazy then you might want to either avoid this property, or make sure who your upstairs neighbors are, or stay on the 2nd floor.
Do the negatives outweigh the positives? Nope and since our son has completed year one, we anticipate multiple visits to this property over the next ?? years.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz and Hotwire so you can book your Gatehouse Suites East Lansing reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gatehouse Suites East Lansing Hotel East Lansing
- Residence Inn East Lansing
- East Lansing Residence Inn