“Great alternative to boring chains”

Gatehouse Suites East Lansing
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
Roanoke, Virginia
“Great alternative to boring chains”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

We found this property while searching for a room in the middle of MSU graduation week. Given limited choices and decent reviews we opted to give Gatehouse Suites a try.

We had no trouble finding the location and with ample parking and the proximity to MSU and restaurants the location was perfect for our purposes.

The staff, be it front desk or cleaning were all friendly and all seemed to like their jobs (can't fake that).

We checked into 613 which was a ground floor (more about that later) 525ft mini suite, complete with a fireplace, TONS of closet/drawer space, a small kitchen complete with a stove, microwave, refrigerator, sink/disposal, minimal cookware and dishes/silverware with table for dining or paperwork. Additionally, there was a comfortable sofa and chairs. The bed was a queen (guys, how about making King an option in some rooms) and had a somewhat harder mattress than the norm (works for me & my wife, but might be objectionable to some) along with a large number (5?) of pillows.

With the exception of one of the sheer window covers (which also features a blackout curtain for night use) which appeared to have potting soil dirt stuck to it, we found that the suite was very, very clean and well supplied with towels, soap, shampoo and a hair dryer.

Additional nice touches:
1) Water pressure never changed in the shower and never had even a hint of running out of hot water.
2) Since it is a low density property, not a lot of people noise.
3) Breakfast buffet. An almost reasonable selection. We'll call this a neutral rating. Why. M-F this buffet is open 7-9AM. During peak periods seating is limited (although one could certainly simply carry food back to one's own room). More annoying, the motel was out of many food items by the 8:15 that we arrived each morning and we saw no attempt to restock this buffet as items ran out. A minimal nod to fresh fruit (they did have canned stuff) would have been nice, even if it was just a banana, apple, or orange.
4) On-site guest laundry was nice, along with a reasonable exercise area and pictured small basketball goal ... with MSU insignia.

Perhaps one of the biggest plusses was the room rate that we paid. During out stay, the room rate was considerably less expensive than a chain hotel/motel and we felt that we received much better value for our money with our stay at Gatehouse.

Negatives:
1) Exiting onto Grand River is simply a challenge. Between pedestrians, joggers, runners, bicyclists and two way traffic it takes patience and even some luck to get out of the parking lot.
2) We saw several people struggling to lug their luggage up the stairs to their second floor suites. Second floor suites are decidedly not recommended for anyone that might have issues navigating stairs and an elevator isn't an option.
3) Footsteps, dropped luggage and the like are audible when staying on the first floor. At one point we thought that we might have heard a re-enactment of Jimmy Hoffa’s demise. Each time the 2nd floor toilet flushes, the water rushes down the pipe in 1st floor suite and is audible. Sadly, if these types of noises drive you crazy then you might want to either avoid this property, or make sure who your upstairs neighbors are, or stay on the 2nd floor.

Do the negatives outweigh the positives? Nope and since our son has completed year one, we anticipate multiple visits to this property over the next ?? years.

Room Tip: Multiple great restaurants are close by, but since your room has a fully functioning kitchen, if you...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Joe M, General Manager at Gatehouse Suites East Lansing, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Gatehouse Suites. Our hotel wanted to be different than the typical cookie cutter types that you would find at most brands. We try to provide to most satisfactory of customer service and rooms that are warm and inviting. We are constantly working on ways to improve or hotel in terms of customer satisfation to make your stay a most pleasant one.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

I recently stayed at the Gatehouse Suites in EL and loved it! Our first night we arrived very late and received a complimentary upgrade to a penthouse 2, which had enough room to sleep 8 people! I loved that the rooms have kitchens and are fully stocked with your basic cooking needs! The breakfast was great and had quite a few options! If you look at any of the pictures on the website you can tell that it is exterior entrances and there are no elevators, but you can easily get a room on the first floor. It is great that they have a laundry room, as I needed to was a few items while we were there! The whole staff was fantastic during my entire stay! Oh! They also provide a light dinner Monday, Tuesday , and Wednesday. It was great to have a small meal provided :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hello Kay,

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Gatehouse Suites. Our staff strives to go the extra mile by providing exceptional customer service and rooms that are clean. If you are ever in the area again please do not hesitate to visit the Gatehouse Suites!
Livonia, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

I chose this hotel because of all the decent reviews it received from other travelers. However, I got to my room which was on the second floor, no elevator, and all my luggage, it was rough. It snowed overnight and they didn't salt or shovel the stairs and I almost broke my legs and neck. Then I was stoked the room had the fireplace I asked for. However, it was not gas, and they didn't tell me when I checked in that I had to buy 1 log of wood for $4 each. WOW. Then, I went to sit on the couch and there were several ejaculation stains (see photos). Hair that was not mine in the shower as well. The TV was placed great for the couch which I couldn't bring myself to sit on, but no TV in front of the bed, it did swivel, but it was difficult to watch in bed. The kitchen was neat, until I made coffee and found lip prints on all the cups. Seriously, I would really like my money back on this one, it was pretty gross. AND, I went to sit on the kitchen chair, and it was so stained up I almost puked. Staff was super friendly, but didn't address the issues except writing them down.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank kramerica21

Travelers are raving about these East Lansing hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I travel frequently to Lansing and East Lansing and this property is well-managed with professional staff and wonderful accommodations. The beds are comfortable and always clean. I have stayed there many times and I always have a clean room. The staff is friendly and helpful. The breakfast is always delicious and well prepared. The people at the front desk are courteous and pleased to see their guests. I feel safe there every time. If I have a problem, the staff are helpful to clear it up right away. I'm so pleased that I found Gatehouse. They are consistently terrific and professional.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Helen M
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is the first time I stayed in this hotel for one night stay. I stayed in Feb and a snow storm just passed by. The hotel studio style room open to the outside makes it a fabulous place for summer get away but still worm and cosy in winter. Some room has fireplace (Mine did not as I did not ask for it). The room has a full kitchen with full fridge, microwave, full size oven, dishwasher, coffee maker and dinette table, great for family visit. The bathroom is nice in size and the room has a couch and a desk. Free WiFi is in the room and reasonable breakfast is offered by the registration. The flat screen TV has hookeup that would allow you to stream netflix or other services from your phone, computer or tablet. A nice features in my room that the TV swivel and can be seen from the bed, the couch, the kitchinette and the bathroom. One thing I did not like is that the Queen size bed was too small for 2 people and should be changed to king size and the mattress is to hard for my taste (It is a firm mattress and considered upper end) it is good for people who sleeps on their back but I sleep on my side and like a medium firm/soft mattress. I definitely recommend the place especially for people who like firm mattress. A great features of this hotel is its proximity to Michigan State Univ in East Lansing. It is less than a mile.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AeyKay
Mt. Pleasant, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Dear Tripadvisor:

I have stayed at the Gatehouse Suites in East Lansing, Michigan, several times over the last two years. I have been very happy with the motel and its personnel. I believe that the motel is managed very well and provides customers excellent return for their money.

More specifically, the rooms are large and homey. They are furnished with a kitchenette that provides a stove, microwave, refrigerator, and sink; cookware and dishware are also provided. So a resident can cook his or her own dinner! But there are many good restaurants in the immediate area to attend if one would rather eat out (good food can also be delivered to one's door from good restaurants). A laundry and exercise room are very helpful. The motel is very close to Michigan State University.

I am a college teacher from out of town who uses this motel when I want to concentrate on my teaching, grading and research without interruption. The quietness and services of the motel really help me work. But I highly recommend this motel to others who want a good night's stay or want a longer stay. The breakfasts are very good and I believe acceptable to regular customers

Room Tip: the quiter rooms are further away from East grand River
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Thomas B
Berkley, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

This place was filthy. I really could not believe it. No standards what so ever. Our room was freezing as well, and the door was broken. The dust throughout the room was unbelievable. I walked in the room and wanted to walk out. Never again.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
#3 of 9 in East Lansing
Hampton Inn East Lansing
Hampton Inn East Lansing
#1 of 9 in East Lansing

Been to Gatehouse Suites East Lansing? Share your experiences!