“Amazing place!!!”

Gatehouse Suites East Lansing
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a getaway weekend. This place was great. We received a great night sleep, in a clean, comfortable room that has a great staff and wonderful rates. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2012
Joe M, General Manager at Gatehouse Suites East Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

I would like to sincerely thank you for your kind words. Our staff always loves to hear about their successes! We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I've been traveling quite a bit, and found most hotels to be more than accommodating. I've never had the description of my reservation differ from what I was offered when I arrived. This time, I was severely disappointed, for this and other reasons.
I appreciate that I cannot always check in early, so it didn't surprise me when there was only a handicapped accessible room available when I arrived early. I chose to wait, not wanting an accessible room, and to return 1 1/2 hours later (as was suggested). I also noted at that time that the hotel had two floors, and no elevators, only outside stairs. This was never mentioned in the write up online anywhere. (BTW, the write up also said there were no handicapped accessible rooms!) When I did return, now only 45 minutes early, I was again told there was nothing available.
Both times, I told the staff in attendance that I reserved a single bed room (studio suite), not handicapped accessible, and I needed to be on the first floor as I had heavy suitcases and such to bring in.
When I returned again, after 5 pm, I was met by a third person who insisted I had reserved a two bed suite which was only on the second floor. I had to again explain I had reserved a single bed room . . . etc. etc. etc. He began to give me some weird explanation that they had recently remodeled and I hadn't understood the website description . . . I really didn't care for his attitude. (When I checked online later, it was very clear that I had, in fact, reserved a single bed studio room!)
He gave me a key, then as an "Oh, by the way" it's handicapped accessible. I'm glad he remembered to mention that, since there were other suites (as I had reserved) available but for some reason, he tried to give me the wrong one. Thankfully, they had what I had reserved available. Why I wasn't assigned what I had asked for originally is beyond my comprehension. I'm an able bodied person, so I found this extremely offensive.
When I got to my room, I discovered all the rooms had doors open to the outside. . . .again something not mentioned in the online write up or visible in any of the photos. But that wasn't the major issue. When I opened the door, I was overwhelmed with the odor of cheap perfume (perhaps, febreze??) which had apparently been used to clean the carpeting and furniture. The smell was so bad, I nearly walked out, but it was getting dark by this time, and I didn't have another place to stay. I also had prepaid for the room.
I couldn't sit on any of the furniture because the smell was so bad, it truly made me nauseated. I opened the sliding door, only to discover there was no screen . . . so obviously, I had to close that. I ground some of my own coffee (thank heavens I had it) and put it in dishes around the room to help eliminate the smell.
Thank heavens, they didn't use febreze on the sheets . . . but again, the bedding was not what was advertised. There was no duvet, no luxurious down comforter . . . a single sheet, what might have been a down sheet, and a very wrinkled top sheet. The room was drafty and cold, even with the heat cranked up.
Yes, it was large and looked nice at first, but the beauty was only skin deep. The bathroom carpeting was frayed, and the wallpaper was peeling. The kitchen had everything, but no pots or pans . . . made it difficult to cook anything.
I have paid much less for much more, and had more accommodating staff, as well. I wouldn't recommend this hotel (is it really a hotel with outside doors?) to anyone . . . especially if you have any allergies to perfume.

Room Tip: Request a first floor room . . . especially if it's snowy . . . and don't expect to be able...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

I sincerely apologize we were unable to provide you with our usual wonderful experience. Your comments are greatly appreciated, and I assure you they will be addressed. I am always eager to hear from my guests. Please feel welcome to call if I can be of further assistance.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

These are re-purposed apartments, and we stayed in a lower level studio suite (studio apartment) which meant we had someone staying above us. The room was tasteful, clean, and didn't have any unpleasant odors (chemical, cigarette, or otherwise). It was a nice surprise having a full kitchen with full sized fridge, microwave, dishwasher, etc. The staff was very friendly.
Unfortunately we did not sleep well here because we could hear every squeaky step our upstairs neighbor took. We could also hear in detail every bathroom trip, sneeze, and conversation, and our neighbor was by no means being loud or disruptive.
The room and staff were great, but we would not stay here again due to the thin walls. We also found beer bottles and trash outside our window the next morning, but that wasn't a total shock because you are literally across the street from MSU and there was a game the night before.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in July 2012. It was a "Penthouse Suite" with 2 bedrooms and 2 full baths on 2 floors, last room left. The suite was very clean, had a full kitchen and the beds were comfortable. It is a conversion from apartments and is older and the outside deck was in need of a paint job but as I said the inside was nice. The hotel staff was very accommodating and friendly, both Bob, and Joe (GM) who offered to print up a map of the local area for me. Overall we were pleased and would stay there again

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Joe M, General Manager at Gatehouse Suites East Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

Thank you very much for your kind words. Our staff love to hear compliments regarding their hard work! On another note, I have great news. We will be renovating our property VERY soon! Although we haven't made formal announcements as of yet, you can certainly expect significant improvements to the exterior of our property.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

My family and I stayed here one night while in town to visit Michigan State University. The hotel doesn't look like much when driving by, but it is much nicer up close. There are several buildings, all separated by small sidewalks, lined with flowers and plants. Our room was toward the end of the sidewalk, so we were away from the street and noise. We were pleasantly surprised when we walked in the room. It was a large room, with the bed at one end, and a living room at the other. The living room had a pull-out sofabed with t.v. and fireplace. Off of the living room was a small kitchen, stocked with plates, cups, etc. We only stayed one night, so we didn't make full use of the facilities, but I could see it would work well for people who were staying longer. The bathroom area had a large dressing area with sink, while the tub/shower and toilet were in a small separate room off the dressing area. There were a lot of cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom, which was nice, because wastebaskets were always out of view.

The room was clean, the grounds were nicely maintained. Our room was near the swimming pool (which was very small), but we never heard any noises from swimmers.

The hotel is within walking distance to the very eastern edge of Michigan State. We even went for a run along the Sanford Nature Area.

The staff we met were all very nice and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2012

As a frequent traveler I have to say this hotel/suite is just average.
The staff I encountered were friendly and took care of my requests, but I agree with other travelers who have said the pictures are a bit deceiving. Nowhere in the pictures do you get the impression that this hotel is (and many of its rooms are) located less than 50 feet from a busy road. The room my daughter and I stayed in was clean enough, but is was NOISY!
The breakfast was not very good. I look for hotels with breakfast and you could see they have MUCH room for improvement here. One reviewer mentioned frozen strawberries for waffles or yogurt. They must have this regularly as it has stained the white bowl it is served in. I was there on the day where they used the strawberry bowl for the white yogurt.......not too appetizing to see white yogurt in a strawberry stained bowl.
While the price I paid was not too bad, I overheard a guest ask the front desk what prices were during football game weekends......OUTRAGOUS!! I would recommend going elsewhere, unless you like mediocre accomodations and can sleep through anything,

Room Tip: If you must....ask for a room away from the road :)
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Stayed with a co-worker for 2 nights while in the area for business. We had a great experience - the rooms are clean - the staff is nice - great location near the MSU campus and a lot of nice places to eat - bars - night life. We got upgraded to a nicer room for free because they over - booked our room. The rooms are like apartments - lots of room!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Hampton Inn East Lansing
Hampton Inn East Lansing
#1 of 9 in East Lansing
Candlewood Suites East Lansing

Been to Gatehouse Suites East Lansing? Share your experiences!