“Price Gouging!!!!!”

East Lansing Marriott at University Place
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We were recently the victims of the midwest ice storms, no power. I am handicapped, yet had to work and needed a place to stay. I called the Marrioot and was told, indeed they had rooms and the price was $200.00/night. I asked about special rates for those of us without power. The person checked and said they did have some rooms available at a lower rate, but those rates and rooms were taken, so all they would offer was the $200.00 rooms. I eventually found a place that did have lower rates for those of us displaced. I will NEVER stay at a Marriott property again and will tell everyone I know about this experience.

Room Tip: Wouldn't know, because it was cost prohibitive to stay there.
Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Janey L
There are newer reviews for East Lansing Marriott at University Place

Reviewed December 24, 2013

Our room was next to the service elevator. Absolute nightmare from 6am to 10am. I was scolded, literally for complaining about it by a manager. Was told all of their employees are wonderful and would never be rude to a customer. Most were fantastic, don't get me wrong. Definitely not worth the money plus extras, parking, wi fi.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank TDKtime
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I was thrilled to finally have the opportunity to stay at this property for an MSU football weekend. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful through the stay, room was comfortable and quiet, location was the best for MSU events. We parked upon arrival and walked to three MSU sporting events - basketball, hockey and football. Very close to many eating establishments. The only complaint I had was that the staff did not inform us that our reservation included a brunch/tailgate event prior to the football game. I found out from friends as we ate (and paid for) breakfast at the adjacent Leo's Coney Island restaurant. Parking is a connected city-owned parking garage for an additional daily fee. Would definitely stay at this Marriott again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I have stayed here a few times. The staff is very friendly and helpful. This hotel is very convenient to MSU and it's location is an easy walk to restaurants and shops. Club level is nice and the snacks were good. This is the hotel I prefer when visiting MSU.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I stay at this Marriott 2-3 times per year on business and have always had a great visit. They remember me, allow me access to the concierge room for evening drinks/snacks and generally take care of my needs. Great location to MSU campus!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 25, 2013

The East Lansing Marriott stands apart from the rest. From the moment you walk in the door the beauty of the lobby takes your breath away. I saw the staff diligently cleaning the lobby every time I walked through it. Can you talk to my kids about that? For the patrons convenience there are a variety of great shops and restaurants that you can access directly from the lobby. On an ugly winter day like today I really appreciate that (Yes, it's already winter in Michigan).

My room is nice but it's the bed that's special. I've never slept in this comfortable a bed in my life. The down comforter, the down pillows and the pillow top mattress made my bed Luxurious.

Even with all those amenities Marriott offers more. Marriott has the best customer service I've seen from a hotel in a long time. I missed my shuttle to the law school yesterday. The general manager for the hotel (Eric) took time out of his busy schedule to drive me to the law school! But that's not all. I had a large box of heavy materials with me. The general manager insisted on carrying the box to my destination for me! I couldn't believe it. Clearly his management philosophy has trickled down to his staff. This morning everything in my refrigerator was frozen when I woke up. I mentioned it to the front desk clerk Nick. He sent up a beautiful breakfast so I didn't have to wait for my yogurt and soy milk to thaw. I didn't ask him to do that. He was just being nice. This is a special place. I'm going to be staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Greenleaftalking
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Hotel is in a great location for MSU visitors. Very nice lobby and public areas. The room is very well appointed, if a little narrow, and quite comfortable.. We had a couple of problems - there was no shampoo in the bath and there was no hot water at 8:30pm. Also, it was disappointing that you have to pay extra for in-room Wi-Fi - this seems to be standard most places that I visit. The hotel has really nice staff - very friendly, helpful and concerned - Keesha in the Bistro 43 and Mike the shuttle driver were really nice.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Residence Inn East Lansing
Residence Inn East Lansing
#2 of 9 in East Lansing
TownePlace Suites East Lansing

Been to East Lansing Marriott at University Place? Share your experiences!