“Location, Location, Location”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
“Location, Location, Location”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Fall weekend trip to the MSU campus to attend niece's wedding. The location of the Marriott was perfect. Situated right on the edge of the campus, we were able to walk to almost everything (including the Kellogg Center where the rest of the wedding party was staying, and the Student Union where the reception took place. Alumni Chapel was a few blocks away, but walkable). Moreover, in the several adjacent blocks there were shops, restaurants, and bars that made it unnecessary to take our car out of the Marriott's underground parking garage. The area appeared to be a favorite of the MSU students, whom we enjoyed mingling with at the Buffalo Wild Wings (across the street), Crackers (around the corner), and The Riv (next corner).
The room was what you'd expect from a Marriott--spacious and clean. Flat screen TV and adjustable workspace on the desk. Was disappointed that Internet use came at a price ($12.95 I believe) since so many other places we've stayed recently provide free Internet service. NOTE: There is a business center off of the main lobby, which I didn't have an opportunity to use, that probably offered free Internet access). The bed was great. Extremely comfortable with lots of pillows, including a couple of down/feather pillows. Nice wide counter in the bathroom (an absolute necessity for my wife who transports a suitcase full of toiletries when she travels). And, the room had a small refrigerator, and a nice view of the square just outside the hotel entrance. There is a $7 daily fee for the parking garage, but the desk provides you with cards for unlimited exits/entrances during your stay. ANOTHER NOTE: There are 2 elevators in the garage. The one to the right when you enter the garage (and at a lower level) is for hotel access. The other is for some business offices.
We only ate breakfast at the Hotel; they offered a buffet and ala carte. Buffet ($14) was pricier then elsewhere, but very convienent (2nd floor). Offered a very complete selection of breakfast items including eggs to order, pancakes and waffles. Unlimited coffee.
Finally, hotel has a fitness center, which I didn't use, but from appearances, I would rate as excellent.
All in all, great hotel. I recommend it for business and liesure, OK for families.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tim C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Korean first
Saratoga, California
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Hotel is within walking distance to MSU Campus with lots of good restaurants and boutique stores. The room was very clean and comfortable, the hotel staffs were all very friendly.
Marriott is the only full service hotel near MSU, and complimentary shuttle bus was very dependable. May daughter and I had to use their shuttles to/from MSU and to/from Lansing airport, and each time was a very pleasant experience. All drivers were prompt, courteous, and with a great sense of humor. We'll definitely return to Marriott on our next trip to Lansing.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on our wedding night in 2000 before heading off on our honeymoon the next day. This time around we were in town for a funeral. The room was very clean and the housekeeping staff took very good care of us even to the point of aligning my kids toys in the big chair in the room. It is very convenient to MSA campus allowing us to walk the kids around campus showing them my wife's old haunts and then allowing us to go back up to the room for a little rest. It is a little pricey, but you definitely pay for the location. We really didn't have to drive anywhere and buffalo wild wings is a half block away...yum! Parking at $7 is cheap. Here is CA you pay $20-30/night for parking.

Room Tip: When parking in the garage, drive around the parking structure to the north elevator as the south el...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Perfect location to MSU campus with lots of shopping and restaurants in walking and short driving distance. The mall, Target, Bed, Bath & Beyond, CVS and Marshalls all less than 4 miles away.Clean room with extra, extra comfortable bed, so nescessary after a long drive to campus.

Restaurant in hotel, however just about any type of restuarant from Japanese, Thai and Italian all in walking distance. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dreamer788
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My wife and I were thrilled with our experience at the East Lansing Marriott. We stayed here as part of a group block for our wedding, and were quite impressed with the friendliness, and 'can-do' attitude of the front office staff as well as the catering department. Special thanks to Amy Crider, Diane (catering coordinator), Brian Lee, and Jessica for their superb service.

Upon arrival, the staff ensured shower caps and makeup mirror were placed in all rooms within the block. Despite not having valet parking, front desk staff went out of their way to offer assistance in parking vehicles.

We would highly recommend booking a wedding group block at the East Lansing Marriott because of their professionalism and the committment to service. Our rehearsal dinner was executed to perfection by the banquet staff and all of our guests were greeted with a warm welcome.

As the bride and groom for the party, we were wowed by the sales department. I was shocked to receive a chocolate-covered strawberry/ champagne amenity twice during our stay. Special thanks to Amy Crider for her graciousness in giving my wife and I a crystal service piece.

My only complaint with the hotel is that the sheets did not fit the mattress properly, exposing the bare mattress top. I discovered a hole in the mattress. (Room 637). Other than that, I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone visiting East Lansing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Marriott to take my bar exam. It is okay at best. I gave it a 2 because it is expensive and there's lots of extras ( parking is $7.00; Internet 12.75).

Here's the good: Bonus early check, ice cream one night in foyer. Friendly staff.

Here's the bad:
Housekeeping sucks (Hair around tub, plastic,on the floor, absolutely no tidying. I had left an ice bucket on the table full of water.....still there when I got back. No room service card left for the next day, menus left all over the place).

Room service was ok: Granola on parfait was soggy, oatmeal was good.

Strangest thing: no refrigerator in the room.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Michigan
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Just came back fronm a 3-night stay. Got a great rate by adding that third night. We were able to get into our room early, and all our requests as to room location and setup had been noted and fulfilled. Front desk employees and Bistro servers were wonderful. Bed was comfortable (something I am rarely satisfied with). Room was clean and equipped with all the amenities I expected. One puzzling thing was that some in our party had a fridge in the room while others did not--seemed kind of random but I didn't bother asking the staff about it because I didn't need a fridge. Pool was a nice size but quite shallow. Expected to pay daily fee for parking and was pleasantly surprised to get vouchers at the front desk so parking was free! Disappointed that Wifi was not free--we went to Leo's cafe on the first floor to get online. I would definitely stay here again, but my husband won't--until they get Fox Sports Detroit in the rooms so he can watch his Tigers!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Residence Inn East Lansing
Residence Inn East Lansing
#3 of 9 in East Lansing
TownePlace Suites East Lansing

Been to East Lansing Marriott at University Place? Share your experiences!