“So-so”

Cuisines: Japanese
Denton, Texas
“So-so”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The food here is great and the menu do have a lot of variety but I am not truely hooked. The sushi chefs are super friendly though and that may bring me back to visit them :)

• Visited February 2013

Grand Haven, Michigan
“My favorite sushi in Michigan & the most creative rolls around!”
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I have been going to Sushi Ya for several years and was sad when we moved away from East Lansing. I was sure I'd find something close to home that would be comparable, but I was wrong.

I had the pleasure of returning to East Lansing recently, and our first stop was at Sushi Ya. They are in a different location from when they first opened--they're now right in the heart of East Lansing.

I recognized our waitress, despite the fact that it's been years since my daughter and I were there. She recognized us as well. She explained that they had been under new management and weren't doing so well, so the original management came back. I was glad to be there with the original folks.

After much indecisiveness, we settled on two of their beautiful rolls and were not disappointed--they have daily specials which offer a slight discount, but most of their specialty rolls are around the $10-$12 mark, and they're filling. I can't even remember which rolls we chose, but I can't imagine them going wrong on any of them. It's like eating edible art.

Their rolls come with miso soup and a small salad. All the food was fresh and delicious. Our waitress was knowledgeable and friendly. The atmosphere was inviting and soothing--we arrived at dinnertime and the place filled up quickly, so I know they're popular.

I can't wait to go back to East Lansing in June.

• Visited April 2012
East Lansing, Michigan
“Love this place”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I was with some friends at another sushi place in the area and got a call to meet my husband at this place. I finished my roll, salad and soup and drove to Sushi Ya and had some more soup, salad and another roll! It was WAY better than the place I had been - everything was just so much fresher and more flavorful. The staff was more into the food too - you can tell the chefs are proud of their creations. I will always pick Sushi YA for sushi in East Lansing.

• Visited March 2012
East Lansing, Michigan
“Favorite place in East Lansing!”
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We eat here as often as the budget allows. Best sushi in mid-Michigan. Rivals best ANYWHERE. Good value & super great service. A pleasure to be a guest at Sushi YA!!

London
“Decent service, attentive waitress, but little atmosphere, not helped by loud pipe music. Food ok but not great. I either ordere”
Reviewed April 20, 2011

Decent service, attentive waitress, but little atmosphere, not helped by loud pipe music. Food ok but not great. I either ordered poorly or was not understood. Avoid "spicy tuna" which was tinned tuna with chilli sauce. Yuk.