Michigan State University Horticultural Gardens
Review Highlights
Just beautiful

These Gardens are just beautiful. There are perennials, annuals, a rose garden, and trials of... read more

Reviewed August 5, 2018
Myrrhia
Novi, Michigan
Floral bliss

These are well maintained and very well organized gardens. They gracefully loop around little... read more

Reviewed July 28, 2018
roxySMR0820
East Lansing, Michigan
via mobile

All reviews rose garden children's area arboretum plants trial soil parking fees
Selected filters
Reviewed September 28, 2016

It was interesting to see the great variety of plants that will grow in this area. And everything is growing in tastefully arranged beds. It was an informative way to spend the time while waiting for the vet hospital to treat our cat.

Date of experience: September 2016
Reviewed August 27, 2016

I always like to visit here when I'm in the area. The children's area is clever and the perennials and rose garden are well-maintained. Always something blossoming. There are usually trial gardens to see and compare for popular plants, too. I didn't have a lot of time this trip and still found a hosta that I want to work into my own landscape. It's not huge, although there are adjacent areas like the Arboretum that I haven't visited yet. Except for the parking meters in the lot, it's free.

Date of experience: August 2016
Reviewed August 15, 2016

We visit this garden as often as we can. Even when the weather has been ridiculously hot, the plants and flowers still look great. The rose garden holds many types of roses and smells lovely. Don't miss the big stone ball you can roll with one hand. My kids are older, so we don't always go in the kid's area, but it has a lot of beautiful flowers too. My favorite is the annual demonstration areas. They add new features every year, like the canopy over the hosta garden, and the arbor made of apple trees. The borders made of coleus are amazing, as is almost everything else you can see. If you're like me, you can spend an hour or two just admiring all the flowers. But, if you're short on time, you can see most of it quickly in a half hour or so. Obviously, I recommend you take your time. Also, take your change, as you'll need it for the parking meters. I gathered that is how they raise money rather than charging admission. This is one of our favorite places and we will definitely return!

Date of experience: August 2016
Reviewed July 21, 2016

The extensive greenhouse on the campus allows the public to view butterflies hatching in early April. Nice place to take kids. I also enjoy the outdoor flower gardens, great lay out, and free!

Date of experience: April 2016
Reviewed July 9, 2016 via mobile

Don't miss the MSU Children's Garden! It was really designed with young children in mind.....interactive displays, lots of nooks-and-crannies.....something interesting everywhere you look! Gotta pay for parking :-( Bring water and sunscreen.

Date of experience: July 2016