“A Pleasant Surprise”

Dining options: Late Night
Michigan
“A Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed December 9, 2010

My husband and I were in East Lansing for the night for a business meeting. Despite mixed reviews on Trip Advisor, we decided to give Harper's a try for their microbrews. My son, who is a MSU grad recommended Harper's as well. We arrived at about 5:30 on a Tuesday evening to find their microbrews were a buck a piece! We also ordered their spinach pizza with goat cheese and pine nuts and a portabello sandwich. The food was great. Our server was very attentive and friendly. All this for under $30. Really couldn't ask for a better casual night out.

Williamston Mi
“Harpers”
Reviewed September 21, 2009

I have read alot of the bad reviews but decided to try it out for myself. I am assuming that the staff has changed because I had excellent service and the food was great!! Me and my party were immediatly taken care of after getting to our table. The Manager stopped by a couple of times to see how things were. I would deffenitly suggest that you try it out!

EAST LANSING
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best price with 1/2 off something everyday & 1/2 all every Wed.”
Reviewed May 19, 2009

It is 100% SMOKEFREE which is incredible for such a large venue. My best friend met her husband at this romantic yet fun hangout. I go with my friends or family quite often due to their exceptional brewed beer, excellent food, and superb service. Many nights they have great entertainment while eating or drinking which is a plus and I have never had to pay cover because I get there early.

Now with sunny days, I enjoy working on their deck with the FREE wireless. As a food critic for publications in the Detroit area I can say Harper's food is exceptional and I cannot believe they can sell something everyday half off but I guess they make it up in volume since it has a capacity of something like 500 or more. We are planning on having my sister's engagement party there in the front elegant fireplace room with the private deck.

My favorite dish is the steamed ribs that fall off the bone and melt in my mouth. My favorite dessert is the french fried ice cream. My favorite drink is the Spartan Wheat in-house brewed beer...we usually get a pitcher to share. I also would recommend the large pizzas...you can customize the toppings...just ask and you will receive.

One thing I read on their wall was that this huge brewpub was named after one of the owners father and that the owners have lived in East Lansing since childhood. This makes me appreciate Harper's even more as it is challenging for large independent restaurants to survive with chains buying in much higher volumes, therefore, much lower food costs. I prefer local owners and stray away from chains as a personal preference.

In addition, Harper's HEALTH DEPT RATING ONE OF THE BEST for the many years in business and its tremendous size. They must have very strict rules for food and that makes me feel comfortable. The brand new bar has added to their service so that you can get a drink in minutes. The entire staff is friendly and happy which makes you feel good when you are a patron. You can even ask to speak to the Chef if you want something different from the menu...he has done this for me many times.

I have had them cater parties for me and they have delivered nothing short of excellence. My experiences with Harper's have been wonderful and I would recommend you visiting this hometown brewpub and you will be shocked at the low prices....remember to ask WHAT IS HALF OFF TODAY?

1 Thank LOVETOEATOUTNIGHTLY
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Don't get the salad...gross!!”
Reviewed September 20, 2008

Don't get the salad...gross!!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Troy, Michigan
“Bad food and lousy service”
Reviewed August 21, 2008

We stopped in for lunch while moving our son into the dorm at MSU. The place was not busy but service was still slow. There was a soup of the day listed on the menu but when we asked what it was our server said they hadn't had one in 2 weeks. My Caesar Salad came without the house-made croutons listed on the menu. I was nearly finished eating it before the waiter appeared again so that I could ask about it and he informed me that they didn't have any. After I complained, he took the salad off the bill. My husband's Reuben sandwich had corn beef so tough that he could barely bite into it. There was very little sauerkraut on it. My son's sandwich was mediocre. We won't return!