“Ethiopian Cuisine” 4 of 5 bubbles

Mason, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Ethiopian Cuisine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I started eating Ethiopian food 17 years ago in Detroit, MI. Altu's unfortunetely the only Ethiopian restaurant in the Lansing area. There food is good, but not as good as The Blue Nile's. The salad is always hit or miss. You either get fresh lettuce or you don't. The cabbage is always bland, but their lentils and beans are usually good. The man that usually runs the front counter is never very friendly like the owner is.

• Visited January 2013

Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
“A friendly place with very good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stopped in to Altu's after an MSU Basketball game. We were orignally a little hesitant to go in as the resteraunt is located in a small, older strip mall. Not a strong curb appeal. However, when you go inside everything changes. The wait staff was very friendly and happy to have us there. We choose the traditional ethiopian tables which added to the experience. The food was very good. We had the platters of vegtable and meat. When they say a platter is for 3 people that is pretty close especially when you are hungry. It was a great meal and an enjoyable experience. We were able to eat for about for about $17 per person with tip.

• Visited December 2012
Lansing, Michigan
“Love this Place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

This is my all time favorite place to eat. I so love coming here. Their spicy lamb, their lima beans, the spicy lentils, the cabbage. OMG! I love it all! Don't miss coming here. Some people don't particularly love the injera bread, but they should try the dishes on rice. That is equally delicious.

Spring Lake, Michigan
“One of our favorites”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

The Lansing and East Lansing area has really grown over the years, especially when it comes to food. We are really lucky to have some of our local food establishments. One of them is Altu's, and I've been eating there for eleven years. They offer very tasty, hearty food and wonderful atmosphere. They're friendly and attentive, and the price is reasonable.

My daughter and I always share a plate because they give you a nice portion of food. I especially love their collard greens and cabbage, and the salad dressing is a favorite of mine. They really should bottle it and sell it. I don't like the Ethiopian bread - it's too sour for me - so I always order rice. I have never been disappointed with anything I've had there, except that I wish their side portions were a little bigger. But for the price, I'm not complaining.

• Visited September 2012
East Lansing, Michigan
“My favorite East Lansing restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Ok, maybe you can get better Ethiopian food in San Francisco and Washington, D.C., as another reviewer wrote, but this is East Lansing, MICHIGAN! IMHO, Altu's serves the BEST Ethiopian food between the two coasts. We've been going there since our two kids were very young (they are now in college) and even they loved the "Meat and Veggie Feast for Three" that became our usual order. We love the "bread" (injera; it's a sourdough, and it is different from every other kind of "bread" so maybe that is why the other reviewer didn't like it?) It would be a shame to order rice without at least trying the bread! Altu and her staff are welcoming and always ready to advise newcomers. We are treated as family when we visit and feel very lucky to have Altu's in our community.

• Visited October 2012