“This is an old, rundown hotel”

Super 8 East Lansing/University Area
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
Iowa
“This is an old, rundown hotel”
Reviewed October 5, 2008

This hotel is in dire need of a remodel. The furnishings were old and rundown, we stayed two nights - no maid service was provided, beds were old and saggy. I'm surprised Super 8 would even let their name be associated with this hotel.

• Liked — Location to Spartan Stadium
  • Disliked — It was in bad shape and not worth the money. No maid service.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
charlevoix
Reviewed September 24, 2008

im not one to waste money on pools, breakfasts..& so on. this hotel was perfect for what I needed, SLEEPING. Ive read most of the reviews and I think its really rediculous that everyone these days expects so much out of something so simple. I came in late..slept, just as I intended to do, and left in the morning. it was perfect for me, and Im sure will be as well for any sensible being.

• Liked — Check in was really fast, and I wasnt bothered after that.
  • Disliked — idk
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
Nj
Reviewed June 8, 2008

My son was taking part in an event at MSU which this hotel is near. But except for the convenient location this hotel was pretty bad. This was a very dirty and shabby hotel room. Dust was thick on the edges of the threadbare carpet. Also much dust on the box spring. Sheets were clean, but worn. Towels had stains. Furniture was beaten up and old and paint was flaking off the bathroom door. Also, basically no breakfast. Phones and internet did not work. This was one of the worst national chain hotels I have stayed at. Stay away.

• Liked — Convenient to MSU
  • Disliked — Very Very dirty
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these East Lansing hotels

nidhal
Reviewed April 21, 2008

First time in east lansing ,Loacation was so nice and central to campus and bars.Bus service right out side the hotel, It wasn' t too expansive for the king size bed and breakfast> little old but it was really clean. Staff was really friendly and helpful.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — can't think of anything
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Portland, OR
Reviewed October 31, 2007

I reserved a room a month ahead of time with the East Lansing/University motel by phone for the MSU football homecoming weekend. When I arrived from out of town at 9pm the motel was closed and looked abandoned. The lobby was closed with a sign saying, "Danger. Keep Out. Fire Damage". The manager's office was closed for the day. A man finally came out and told me that they had closed due to a fire and that they might or might not have a few rooms open the next day. I had never been contacted about the motel being closed on the days I had reserved. The man at the motel was no help in finding me another room in town.
I called the other Super 8 motel in south Lansing and got a room there since I already had reservations with the Super 8 chain. The room was right next to the freeway, dirty, run down, very noisy, fire alarm wires hanging out of the ceiling, TV did not work at all, all vending machines were empty or broken, etc. It was really a bad place to spend the night. The breakfast put out in the morning consisted of tiny convenience store muffins and bad coffee. I checked out in the morning and went to the nearby Days Inn, a much better motel.
Don't stay in a Super 8 motel in Lansing/East Lansing. You can find much better room elsewhere for similar rates.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
Ohio
Reviewed May 2, 2007

We left within 10 minutes of checking in. The man at the desk smelled so bad. It was plain old body odor! When I went into the room and I tried to close the drapes they about came down on my head. They were ready to fall. We went to the front desk to complain and someone had thrown up right by the door outside. It was nasty. The guy was decent and refunded our credit card. Do not stay here!

• Liked — Easy to get to
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tlwest
michigan
Reviewed April 25, 2007

I stayed here on a visit to my son at MSU. I read the reviews, but was skeptical, because some people complain even when I think a place is adequate. They were not exagerating. I have traveled extensively and have never stayed at a worse place nor have I ever feared for my safety as I did here. After checking in, I sat at the head of the bed to call my husband and tell him I arrived. I kicked a condom wrapper with my foot, which was at the head of the bed. I asked for a new room as didn't trust that that one had been cleaned. My new room was no better, and there were loud, scary drunks and what appeared to be domestic fights and drug deals going on all night!!! I don't understand the owners of this property. They have a prime location and could make a mint if they cleaned, remodeled and had some security. Please don't make the same mistake I did. Belive me , I am not picky and I couldn't wait to leave in the am. I found whatever hotel at whatever price for my second night so I could at least sleep.

• Liked — close to campus and cheap, but not worth it
  • Disliked — dirty, run down and scary
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled solo
TownePlace Suites East Lansing
Hampton Inn East Lansing
Hampton Inn East Lansing
#1 of 9 in East Lansing

Been to Super 8 East Lansing/University Area? Share your experiences!