All reviews university club golf course stove top honor system full kitchen separate bedroom laundry basket serve breakfast microwave popcorn food bar mba program pots and pans michigan state university coffee maker small apartment stayed here for one night great place to stay
Reviewed July 26, 2017

Was at MSU for an orientation for my daughter. We booked via price-line and this was considered a 3 star hotel.

The place was a little hard to find. Need to really look for the sign in front of the building. The staff was friendly enough and we were processed in quickly.

We were placed in one of the downstairs rooms. Walked down the stairs and were met with an odor... Might of been someone cooking curry, was not pleasant. The guest were a little noisy when we first were in the room, but it subsided a little later (we could hear the foot steps)

Our room was clean enough. No issues, as I checked the bed and bathroom. There was just something missing from the hotel.

As I described, if felt like a no frills place. It should not be rated above any of the Marriott and Hilton (Hampton) hotels.

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites East Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2017

Hello ChiefSparta,

Thanks for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Candlewood Suites around. I am glad that you found our staff to be friendly and rooms to be clean. On the other hand, I am very sorry for the smell along the hallway and that our hotel did not live up to your expectations. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

As a valued guest, please be assured that all comments will be acted upon and used to continually improve guest satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next future visit.

Dianne L.

Reviewed July 13, 2017

This was my first experience with a Candlewood Suites and they fell terribly short....Here's the breakdown. I booked this hotel because my daughter was attending MSU Orientation and thought I'd stay on campus.

Check in went well the front desk attendant "Curly" was very kind and polite.

Room 1. My first impression of my room when I opened the door was a very unpleasant odor. There was a musky, humid, stale smell. I went to the thermostat, it did not work so I called the front desk. Curly told me I had to adjust it inside the unit. I went to the air conditioner and turn it down to get some air moving around but it only blew warm air. While I waited to make sure it turned on, I checked the room out. The mold in the bathroom shower, around the handle was down right Gross! I'll post pictures below. Linens were clean. The room has a small kitchenette with refrigerator, stove, microwave, dishwasher, coffee maker and dishes. This area was clean. The nightstand and table had glass rings on their surface. The air never turned on so I went to the front desk. At first I was told they would send maintenance, but ultimately they decided to change my room to a unit across the hall.

Room 2 Same nasty odor when I opened the door. Immediately went to the air conditioner and the temp was set at 60 but it was blowing warm air as well. I heard the maintenance man going into room 1 so I asked him to look at Room 2 air conditioner because I had an event to get to and this was becoming daunting. The young man was very polite and professional. He pulled the front of the unit off and I was floored by the dirty nasty air filter, it didn't look like it had been changed since the hotel opened. It was caked with crud and hair. When he put the cover back on you could see particles from the filter swirling in the air...Uck! Suggested perhaps if they changed the air filter once in a while perhaps the units would work?!? YUCK!! He worked on it for 5-10 minutes, made a few calls to the front desk and he said it should work soon although it was still blowing warm air when I left. On my way out I stopped by the front desk to let them know that this unit wasn't working either and if it wasn't working by the time I returned I would need a new room. A female worker, possibly a manager, came out of the back and she was not very nice, seemed put out and was rude! She stated that the unit was frozen up and I needed to go turn the units thermostat up so it could thaw, then the unit would work. (Really?? who signs up for this when they are paying to stay somewhere???) I told her if that was the case why wouldn't the maintenance man stated that? She stated "he doesn't know how things work around here" (Nice way to talk down your employees to guests.. Seriously?? ) Thankfully, when I returned the unit had started to work, as the maintenance man stated, and no I did not turn the unit up so it could thaw. There were more surprises as I attempted to settle in for the night. Same mold in shower, the plug in the tub was broken and wouldn't stay open so I had to prop it open but couldn't help notice more black mold inside of it. The water pressure was pour because water was still filling the tub while the shower was on but unfortunately the do dad was broken as well and wouldn't move so I was stuck with 1/2 pressure. Thankfully the bed was very comfortable and was clean (yeah!) When I went to make coffee in the morning there was watery coffee in the bottom of the carafe so I bailed on the coffee maker. I asked an attendant in the hall, who was extremely helpful and polite, if there was a restaurant I could buy some coffee and she informed me they offer coffee, free of charge, inside their essential store. Thank the Heavens!!! Grabbed my coffee, overnight bag and ran for my car!!

To sum it all up...there are an abundance of Hotels in the area you may want to consider one of those...I will

Room Tip: With problems in 2 rooms you may want to keep driving.
  • Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank Cheri M
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites East Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2017

Hi Cheri M,

Thank you for posting a candid feedback from your recent stay with us. It is great to know that you were able to appreciate the service provided by Curly and the condition of our beds. However, I was concerned to see that you had some issues with the room smell, room temperature control, bathroom mold, and water pressure among the others. We always aim to provide an exceptional stay for all of our guests that is why I regret to see that you did not have a great experience. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience these issues may have caused you during your stay. Rest assured, your comments will be shared with our management team to properly address your concerns.

Again, thank you for the review and for staying with us. I hope that we would have another chance to accommodate you again in the future.

Regards,

Mike F.

Reviewed June 30, 2017

This was the site for a recent family reunion and it was fantastic. The rooms were small, but all had small kitchen appliances, in the event that you were staying long term. We had use of the club house for the weekend, which served as our living room, gathering spot for socializing.

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites East Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2017

Hi chatakwa,

Thank you for posting a candid feedback from your recent stay with us. It is great to know that you had a great family reunion at our hotel. I know we still have a lot of room for improvement so if you have any other comments or suggestions, feel free to let us know.

Regards,

Mike F.

Reviewed May 27, 2017 via mobile

This hotel is wonderful! They are hospitable and accommodating. We were traveling for OM competition and this is our second visit to this hotel. We travel with a service animal and they are great with her. Will stay here any time we are local!!!

Stayed: May 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank Amanda P
Reviewed May 16, 2017 via mobile

This property is located next to the Gold Course. Spacious room, nice staff, plenty of parking lots and nice kitchen ( in the room).

Suitable for those who enjoy playing golf and love to have a quiet evening due to its location which is isolated from major businesses.

Stayed: May 2017, traveled on business