All reviewsuniversity clubgolf coursestove tophonor systemfull kitchenseparate bedroomlaundry basketserve breakfastmicrowave popcornfood barmba programpots and pansmichigan state universitycoffee makerspent one nightsmall apartmentgreat place to stay
Reviewed August 23, 2011

This hotel is suites with kitchenettes. It was nice to have a full fridge with freezer. The hotel itself is out in the boondocks, not near any restaurants, gas or shopping. It is near some MSU stuff. It was clean and everything was adequate. I'm not sure why but the Saturday night was VERY noisy between 1-3am. The next night was fine.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
scout09, General Manager at Candlewood Suites East Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2011

Thank-you for you positive comments about your recent stay at the Candlewood Suites East Lansing. Our rural setting provides a quiet atmosphere and although we are just a few minutes from Michigan State University and area shopping and dining, our location can seem removed. One of the benefits guests of the Candlewood Suites receive is temporary Membership to the private club we are attached to - The University Club of MSU. The University club has several dining outlets for our guests to experience. Please accept my apolgies for the noise you experienced while a guest here at the Candlewood Suites at MSU and it is my hope that we will be your lodging choice when you return to East Lansing, MI.

Reviewed August 7, 2011

We stayed here for a HS reunion and didn't need the full fridge, 2 burners, plates, toaster, bowls, silverware, salt & pepper, dishwasher...and the list goes on....wow. For the price I was surprised. Huge closet. But in the king there was no end table on one side of the bed. That was a small inconvenience but not enough for a low rating.

The shower did not work and was stuck. We called the front desk and within 3 minutes a maintenance man was here and had it fixed within 4 more minutes. We were so surprised...we only had 1 1/2 hours to get to a reunion and couldn't take a shower. Only wish services was like that everywhere. We were very impressed. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank-you so much for your wonderful comment on the services received by the staff here at Candlewood Suites - East Lansing. I am grateful that you took the time to recognize the team here at the Candlewood Suites for their quick response to your service need and will certainly share your comments with them. I hope you'll choose our hotel if your travels have you back in East Lansing, Michigan.

Reviewed May 1, 2011

Got a "secret hotel" deal off the internet for this place. What a pleasant surprise at how nice it was. We were in East Lansing to attend the Spring football game and to see family. Traveled with our three boys-ages 9, 7, and 4 months. Plenty of room for all of us. The older boys stayed on the roomy sleeper sofa and the baby slept in a pack-n-play. Hubby and I stayed on the comfy and clean queen bed. We only stayed one night, but we agreed we would come back, especially if we could get the awesome price again. The only complaint we have is the towels are so rough you could use them for sandpaper. My husband mentioned that to the front desk lady. By the way, the front desk staff was friendly which is always a plus. We did not use the restaurant because they only have a brunch on Sundays. They only serve breakfast Monday-Friday. The kitchenette was nice and had plenty of utensils, dishes, etc. The room was clean, comfortable, and quiet. Oh yeah, another downside is no wi-fi. I brought along my Nook Color and couldn't access the internet. Not a big deal, but it will be nice when they have it. I saw on another review that this Candlewood will be getting wi-fi this month (May), as well as flat-screen tvs. We would definitely stay here again, especially for the price we scored off the internet.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Luv2read68
scout09, General Manager at Candlewood Suites East Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2011

Thank you so much for your kind comments on your recent stay at the Candlewood Suites, East Lansing. I am delighted to hear it was a "pleasant surprise". I would like to apologize for the rough towels. I have spoken with the executive houskeeper and we have already contacted our vendor to try a different laundry softener for the towels. I am excited to say that wireless has been installed at the Candlewood Suites and we could not be happier - we know our guests have been anxiously awaiting this! Thank-you again for choosing the Candlewood Suites here at Michigan State University, I would be delighted to meet you when you return to the property and personally thank-you for your input.

Reviewed February 24, 2011

We found this hotel to be clean, and the service to be friendly. We liked that there was a little shop stocked with food and toiletries that was open 24 hours a day - payment was on the honor system. We also used the hotel shuttle on a couple different occasions and found the driver to be friendly and prompt. The front desk also has a large movie selection available for free rental.

The rooms were average-to-good. They did include a small kitchen with a microwave (and free popcorn!), as well as a full size refrigerator. The shower was wonderful, with a very high flow rate. The television was a little small and not a flat screen. The room also had a combo DVD/VCR player. Local calls were free.

The hotel only had two big downsides. First, it's kind of out in the middle of nowhere. There will be no walking to restaurants from here. It is pretty close to the MSU campus, as long as you have a car.

Secondly, the rooms have a really bizarre climate control system. When we visited it was about 20 degrees Fahrenheit outside. The room heater/air conditioner was controlled by a thermostat on the wall - you simply dial in the temperature you want. There is a sign on the wall saying that the thermostat knows when you leave the room - so far as I could tell, the way this practically worked is that if there was no motion in the room for about 5 minutes, the thermostat would set itself to 69 degrees until motion was once again detected. That would be fine if the thermostat simply let the temperature fall from 72 or whatever down to 69 - BUT IT ACTUALLY TURNS ON THE AIR CONDITIONER to drive the temperature down to 69. Despite the fact that it is 20 degrees outside. Worse, you don't have to actually leave the room for this to happen - just take a shower, or even remain particularly still when watching a movie. I would actually sit there and watch the air conditioner come on, run for a few minutes, and then have the heater immediately kick on. That's nuts.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank creationwaits
scout09, General Manager at Candlewood Suites East Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2011

Thank-you so much for your positive comments about the Candlewood Suites East Lansing. I will definitely share with the staff that you found the hotel to be clean and friendly. Our rural setting provides a quiet atmosphere and although we are just a few minutes from MIchigan State University and downtown Lansing it can seem removed. The Candlewood Suites East Lansing is attached the University Club of MSU and all guests become temporary members of this private club which has breakfast, lunch and dinner available most days. WIth this option available, we hope that guests do not feel that have to drive to dine.
I'd like to apologize that the climate control system was not easy to use. I have forwarded your comments to the engineer and we are looking in to better options.
Again, thank-you for your comments. I hope you will choose the Candlewood Suites if you have a return trip to the Lansing, East Lansing area.

Reviewed February 15, 2011

I stay here frequently for business. It is close to MSU and has a nice setting with trees and golf course. The rooms, however, are always dirty. The bedspread and shower curtains are smelly and old. The tv is tiny and there is no wireless internet. The refrigerator is also old and large, therefore very noisy. The walls are thin, so you can hear other peoples’ tvs and talking. There is always something very dirty in the room like hair left on the bathroom floor, dust piled in the cracks running from the wall, sticky light switches or remotes, and don’t look behind the bed boards – even if you have to plug in your phone. It will gross you out. As I mention, I have to stay here for work often and do so only because of location. Someone in management really needs to take an honest look and upgrade this place – especially because it is attached to the university center and henry center. The fact there is not wireless internet is embarrassing given it is represented by a university. Get modern Candlewood Suites! I should end on a nice note, the front desk staff are very pleasant and helpful 90% of the time. It's not their fault the rooms are filthy.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business

Please accept my sincere apology that you have found our rooms to be dirty. I have met with the housekeeping manager and staff and shared these comments. We have put an action plan together to work towards providing spotless rooms and hope that on your return visit to the Candlewood Suites, East Lansing you will see the positive results. I value your feed back and would like you to contact me at 517-351-8181 xt 419. I want to make sure you are completely satisfied and that the cleanliness of our rooms have improved! We are making some improvements to the rooms and should have wireless interenet by the first week of May and Flat Panel Tv''s by early June.
Again, thank-you so much for your feedback and choosing the Candlewood Suites at MSU.