$129
  • Restaurant
$118
$109
HIExpress.com
Residence Inn East Lansing(East Lansing)
$154
$129
$124
$119
Hyatt.com
All reviewsuniversity clubgolf coursestove tophonor systemfull kitchenqueen bedseparate bedroomlaundry basketserve breakfastmicrowave popcornfood barpet feemba programpots and panscoffee makermsu campushome away from home
Reviewed February 24, 2011

We found this hotel to be clean, and the service to be friendly. We liked that there was a little shop stocked with food and toiletries that was open 24 hours a day - payment was on the honor system. We also used the hotel shuttle on a couple different occasions and found the driver to be friendly and prompt. The front desk also has a large movie selection available for free rental.

The rooms were average-to-good. They did include a small kitchen with a microwave (and free popcorn!), as well as a full size refrigerator. The shower was wonderful, with a very high flow rate. The television was a little small and not a flat screen. The room also had a combo DVD/VCR player. Local calls were free.

The hotel only had two big downsides. First, it's kind of out in the middle of nowhere. There will be no walking to restaurants from here. It is pretty close to the MSU campus, as long as you have a car.

Secondly, the rooms have a really bizarre climate control system. When we visited it was about 20 degrees Fahrenheit outside. The room heater/air conditioner was controlled by a thermostat on the wall - you simply dial in the temperature you want. There is a sign on the wall saying that the thermostat knows when you leave the room - so far as I could tell, the way this practically worked is that if there was no motion in the room for about 5 minutes, the thermostat would set itself to 69 degrees until motion was once again detected. That would be fine if the thermostat simply let the temperature fall from 72 or whatever down to 69 - BUT IT ACTUALLY TURNS ON THE AIR CONDITIONER to drive the temperature down to 69. Despite the fact that it is 20 degrees outside. Worse, you don't have to actually leave the room for this to happen - just take a shower, or even remain particularly still when watching a movie. I would actually sit there and watch the air conditioner come on, run for a few minutes, and then have the heater immediately kick on. That's nuts.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank creationwaits
scout09, General Manager at Candlewood Suites East Lansing, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2011

Thank-you so much for your positive comments about the Candlewood Suites East Lansing. I will definitely share with the staff that you found the hotel to be clean and friendly. Our rural setting provides a quiet atmosphere and although we are just a few minutes from MIchigan State University and downtown Lansing it can seem removed. The Candlewood Suites East Lansing is attached the University Club of MSU and all guests become temporary members of this private club which has breakfast, lunch and dinner available most days. WIth this option available, we hope that guests do not feel that have to drive to dine.
I'd like to apologize that the climate control system was not easy to use. I have forwarded your comments to the engineer and we are looking in to better options.
Again, thank-you for your comments. I hope you will choose the Candlewood Suites if you have a return trip to the Lansing, East Lansing area.

Reviewed February 15, 2011

I stay here frequently for business. It is close to MSU and has a nice setting with trees and golf course. The rooms, however, are always dirty. The bedspread and shower curtains are smelly and old. The tv is tiny and there is no wireless internet. The refrigerator is also old and large, therefore very noisy. The walls are thin, so you can hear other peoples’ tvs and talking. There is always something very dirty in the room like hair left on the bathroom floor, dust piled in the cracks running from the wall, sticky light switches or remotes, and don’t look behind the bed boards – even if you have to plug in your phone. It will gross you out. As I mention, I have to stay here for work often and do so only because of location. Someone in management really needs to take an honest look and upgrade this place – especially because it is attached to the university center and henry center. The fact there is not wireless internet is embarrassing given it is represented by a university. Get modern Candlewood Suites! I should end on a nice note, the front desk staff are very pleasant and helpful 90% of the time. It's not their fault the rooms are filthy.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business

Please accept my sincere apology that you have found our rooms to be dirty. I have met with the housekeeping manager and staff and shared these comments. We have put an action plan together to work towards providing spotless rooms and hope that on your return visit to the Candlewood Suites, East Lansing you will see the positive results. I value your feed back and would like you to contact me at 517-351-8181 xt 419. I want to make sure you are completely satisfied and that the cleanliness of our rooms have improved! We are making some improvements to the rooms and should have wireless interenet by the first week of May and Flat Panel Tv''s by early June.
Again, thank-you so much for your feedback and choosing the Candlewood Suites at MSU.

Reviewed February 3, 2011

Took a long shot by booking a "top secret" hotel for a really cheap price for an overnight stay near Lansing and ended up with this being our surprise reservation. I really could not have been happier for the price. Everything was spotless and the whole place is well maintained with very helpful staff that took care in what they did and say. Excellent place if you need to stay near MSU and you do not mind having to drive to food, etc. Room had a very nice kitchenette with dishwasher for extended stays. One of the better hotel deals I have scored online.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank-you so much for your positive comments regarding your stay at the Candlewood Suites, East Lansing. I am delighted that you found our hotel to be spotless and the staff helpful.

Reviewed January 20, 2011

I travel a lot on business and this was one of the worst hotels I have stayed in in a long time.
Location: although close the Michigan State campus, it is in the middle of nowhere. no restaurants or anything near by. I had to drive 3.5 miles to find an Applebees.

Dim and dark: I arrived after dark and the parking lot was scary. half the lights were out and I wasn't even sure I was in the right place. As a lone female traveller, I tend to avoid dark places. I practically ran from my car to get inside. The hallways are dimly lit as well as the rooms.

Rooms: Ok, they were clean, but that's about it. This is an extended stay hotel, but all the furnishings are extremely cheap. The entry light flickered in my room. The heat had some kind of sensor that when you leave the room it shuts off so every time I left for any lengthy of time, it was freezing when I returned. Unfortunately, the untidy college study who checked me in neglected to tell me this so I requested another room. This one had a sign to tell me what was going on. I called her to tell her at the front desk and she didn't even know about it!

I got cold water half way through my shower. The walls were thin, could hear what was going on next door, and no wireless internet (had to use an ethernet cable so was stuck at the desk)

There is no breakfast (well there is at the convention center next door), but they have a pantry so I checked it out. Crazy high prices and low on stock. $4.75 for a Lean Cuisine??? No milk or juice for breakfast???

I typically stay at a Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn. This place cost more and was terrible. I would not stay here again or recommend it. There has to be better places close to MSU.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed October 9, 2010

great location for MSU WMBA students, beautiful golf club, heated pool, very comfortable room and great value
Pros: reasonable price, location, comfort, wi-fi internet
Cons: not good for non MSU customers

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business