“Average”

Description: Authentic Indian Cuisine
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
“Average”
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

I would say this is one of the good places in Lansing area to have Indian food. Since Lansing does not have a lot of options, it is pretty decent. Food is about 3.5 stars. Service the same. Taste wise, Indian curries have good taste but have more South Indian accent to it. Somewhat more spicy and similar taste between few of the dishes as if they may have the same base. I have tried many other places in the Toronto and Chicago area which are easily 4-5 stars.
I would still go to Swagat since I am in Lansing.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Fantastic Food”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We ate at the restaurant with a small group of people. The restaurant was very busy, but the service was excellent. We never had to wait for any length of time, whether to be seated or served.
We all ordered a different dish, and everyone was impressed with their dinner. We have eaten at a number of different Indian restaurants across the United States, and this is one of the very best.
We are definitely returning.

• Visited December 2012
Williamston, Michigan
“Tasty Indian food”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

If you've never tried Indian food, I think this place will convert you. It was a little hard to find at first. If you drive west on Trowbridge past Harrison, go past the Wendy's and turn when you see the Woody's Oasis. Swagath is behind Woody's. It's not a fancy looking place (hey, it's a place in a strip mall) but I think they did a fair job with what they had to work with. Anyway, you're here for the food. I had some paneer pakoras for an appetizer and the butter chicken (served with basmati rice), so I can give my first hand recommendation for those. The service was fast and pleasant and they were willing to answer questions. Expect to spend about $15 per person.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank DanielPofMI
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Food”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Food fantastic. Fresh. Hot. Generous portions. It's authentic. Not because I say so but because several of my Indian friends say so. They should know. Definitely # 1 for my Indian food fix.

• Visited October 2012
Courtenay, Canada
“Fantastic food.”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

What a great restaurant!

Review is quite simple: food was excellent. Great quality ingredients, perfectly prepared. Not overly saucy, not overly spicy - the spice is the kind that slowly builds (always a good sign) and the right foods are spicy, not just for the sake of it and not added after the fact. We had a wide variety - mutton vindaloo through palak paneer. Everything was well assembled, not fussy or pretentious just very very good.

The downside would be that I ate far too much, it was too good to waste, but the upside of that is I didn't need breakfast the following day :-)

If I am back here again I will definitely visit again. Would love a place as good as this in Vancouver, especially one attached to a Indian food store.

Regarding the decor - yes it's simple, but like the best Indian restaurants I ave visited the focus is on the food and not the surroundings. That said, if you're looking for in intimate dinner for two with soft candleight and calm music, this isn't the place.

• Visited October 2012