“Great for parents and families of MSU students.”

Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
“Great for parents and families of MSU students.”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Kellogg twice since my daughter became a student at MSU this fall. Both times we stayed in larger luxury rooms which are still a great value at the special MSU family rate and much larger than the standard rooms. We found the rooms very comfortable and nicely decorated and I like the bathrooms with no tub. The one thing that really makes the Kellogg great is their staff. We had two rooms last time and they could not get them on the same floor because they had a large conference booked in the hotel. So they upgraded one of the rooms to a suite, for the same rate. The suite was huge and very nice. We ate dinner in the State Room that night and it was very nice, if a little expensive. But the food was excellent as was our waiter. The next morning when we went down for breakfast, they couldn't seat our large group in the dining room, so they seated us in one of the conference rooms. It was actually very nice, like having our own private dining room. I expect that we will be visiting campus quite a lot over the next four years and we will try to stay at the Kellogg.

• Stayed November 2013
Rebecca S, Manager at Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff to be so accommodating. We always strive to go the extra mile in Delivering Outstanding Spartan Experiences to all our guests, and hearing feedback such as yours makes it all worthwhile.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 13, 2013

If you're visiting the MSU campus for a game, a concert, whatever, this is a great place to stay. If you're in East Lansing for some other reason, this might not be the best place for you. That being said, there's nothing wrong with it. It's clean, comfortable, affordable. But it IS on campus and the rooms are very small. The bathrooms are a tad 'odd', but again, still a decent place to stay on campus.

PROS
Extremely reasonably priced
Decent food from room service
Attached parking garage - very convenient
Nice staff (lots of student workers)
Comfortable beds and pillows
Clean
Quiet
Nice flat screen television with good channel line up
Decent desk/work area but lighting is not great
MSU apparel store on site

CONS
Very small rooms
Odd bathrooms - look at the pictures on here so you know what I am talking about
Lighting in room is poor; in bathroom it's okay
Very limited countertop space in bathroom
Would be extremely cramped for two people to share a 1 bed room
Needs updating with outlets by the bed

If you're going to MSU, stay there. If not, stay somewhere else if you need more space.

Room Tip: Rooms are tiny. When I first stayed here, I thought I was in some odd room based upon the shower/bat...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelMommy1
Thank you for the feedback on your stay with us. We're pleased you enjoyed your time at our hotel and look forward to serving you again in the future.
Seattle
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night while attending a conference. I shared a room with my brother. Room was enormous ... Two large desks, spacious, clean. The restaurant-bar seems to be operated by students at WSU's hospitality school. Friendly, responsive, gracious. The music in the restaurant was a bit to loud for conversation at my table; when I mentioned this politely to the waiter, he lowered the volume immediately. Hotel room prices (at least for my room) are quite reasonable.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Cliff C
Rebecca S, Manager at Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Kellogg. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and appreciate your positive comments. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed here earlier this month while attending a function on the campus of Michigan State University. Needless to say, this hotel's location is outstanding for anyone needing to be at the heart of MSU.

Outside of its location there is, however, nothing that makes this hotel stands out. I found it to be a very average experience. The hotel itself is relatively old and lacking in the decor. It offers most of the amenities one would expect and I found my room to be super-clean.

While it has hotel services it still feels like you're staying in an upscale dorm, especially with the blankets that were on the double bed in my room.

Wireless internet was free, as was parking in the nearby garage. I didn't eat at the restaurant, as I didn't see any vegetarian or vegan options.

Overall, I would probably stay at the Courtyard by Marriott or the full-service Marriott if I'm back in town again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Rebecca S, Manager at Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Kellogg. As you mentioned, the Kellogg Center is an older facility and the rooms are on the small side, but our hotel has undergone numerous renovations in a continuous effort to keep our furnishings and amenities up to date and make our guests accommodations as comfortable as possible. In regards to our dining options, we do offer vegan and vegetarian items on our menus as well as gluten-free options.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I have attended a number of conferences at this convention center and hotel. Yes, I believe they do an excellent job for conference needs, however, the hotel portion when it comes to space...that is nonexistent. I will say the builders tried to maximize the number of rooms for the hotel portion by configuring very very very small rooms. I had a room with two beds and I am so glad I did not have a colleague in my room. I felt it was just enough space for me. The bathroom is very different if you are looking for your usual shower with a tub...there is not one. Be careful as once you shower, your whole bathroom might be wet. The hotel is very convenient if you are going to a conference and just that.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Rebecca S, Manager at Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences here at the Kellogg Center. I appreciate the positive comments regarding our conference services. In regards to the size and design of our guest rooms, our facility was originally constructed as a type of "adult dormitory" for educational conferences which is the reason for the smaller room size. When renovating the rooms over the years, we made every effort to utilize the available space in the most efficient way possible. We do offer larger rooms with tubs which can be requested when making your reservation or at the time of check-in, if available.
Reviewed October 7, 2013

First off, the hotel itself is in a very prime location and perfect if staying for sporting events or if you liked to be near the capital.
Rooms- yes, they are quite small.
However, when booking a hotel always check online what your getting into. If you did, you'd read that they are reconverted dorms which is an amazing idea.
The size is doable for a 1 or 2 people or a small family even. The hotel when interior designing did a terrific job with making the space available.. WORK!
Excellent.
Bathroom-Small, clean, and
works well for getting ready.
Cleanliness-
I'm not over exaggerating either..
The room itself was actually disgusting.
Hard time sleeping in it because of it.
Stains on sheets, dusty on pictures and tables, lots of hair strands all over, blood on carpet (very noticeable), and other bodily fluids on bedding..
I was very bothered but very tired so I made it work for me.
Service-Fantastic! Excellent staffing, knowledgable, conscice, friendly, and personable.
Dining- The State Room- excellent service, wallet friendly and pretty swell food.
Well done on many aspects.
This is the truth and my personal expierience.

• Stayed October 2013
Rebecca S, Manager at Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thank you taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Kellogg Center. I was pleased to hear your positive comments about our staff and overall service. I want to apologize for the condition of your room. It is our goal to provide the best guest experience possible, and it is quite apparent this goal was not met. Your comments were shared with our housekeeping department and will be used as we continue to train our staff and fine-tune our services.

Each and every one of our guests’ experiences is of the utmost importance to us and I appreciate the specific feedback.
Waterford, Michigan
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Every staff member I encountered at Kellogg went beyond the call of duty to provide outstanding customer service. There is a high attention to detail at Kellogg. The beds, alone, are worth the stay as they are super comfortable. Hotel parking is attached and dedicated to Kellogg, providing a sense of security and extra convenience. The food is very good at Kellogg. Everything is very clean at Kellogg. Yes, the rooms are small, but not shockingly so. I would compare them to rooms one might find in larger city hotels. I plan to bring my family back for an overnight stay at Kellogg.

Room Tip: If a contained shower is preferred, request a room with a tub. If ordering room service, note the ti...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Rebecca S, Manager at Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experiences here at the Kellogg Hotel and Conference Center. Your vantage point gives us the best critique of our current operation I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your positive comments regarding our facility and staff. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Lansing
Hampton Inn East Lansing
Hampton Inn East Lansing
#1 of 9 in East Lansing
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites East Lansing

Been to Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center? Share your experiences!