“Functional, convenient, great staff”

Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
London
“Functional, convenient, great staff”
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

The good:
The staff are helpful and friendly and the location is great if you're attending a conference on campus. The bathrooms might be small but they are very inventively fitted out with excellent quality furnishings and are very good for people with mobility problems because the wet room style means there's step free access to wash. I had read the reviews on here so was prepared for small bathrooms and was impressed by the creative use of space.

The rooms are fine, the aircon is powerful and so I was either too hot or too cold and found it difficult to get a temperature that was just right.

The bad:
The food is bad. We were eating with a conference delegation so I can't vouch for the main hotel breakfast. Our Breakfast was a sweet selection of muck, and despite being the Kellogg centre, no cornflakes or cereal of any description was served. There was no toast or egg. There was no milk, just cream for coffee. At lunch the food was ok, but unhealthy, and in the evening we were served over cooked fish, over boiled vegetables and a cheap bit of sponge with fresh cream and half a strawberry.

One evening we asked staff for restaurant recommendations in East Lansing. Big mistake because there is literally nowhere nice to eat. It's all student junk style food. We ended up at the Bistro in the Marriott hotel which was fine. Expensive and not great by any means, but fine.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Rebecca S, General Manager at Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure to hear that you found your room satisfactory and that your interaction with our staff was a positive one. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the banquet food. Although it is rare that we have complaints about our food, I want to assure you that we do take your concerns seriously and have forwarded your comments regarding the quality of food to our Executive Chef for reveiw.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed here for a conference this week. The staff does a lovely job. The hotel is clean, modern and very nice. The rooms are well appointed with good wireless service, electrical outlets in numerous places, nice TV with good cable service; bathrooms are modern with high quality bath products. However, the rooms are tiny! I would hate to think about sharing a room with someone. In addition, the walls seem paper thin as I was able to hear conversations, toilets flushing, water running, etc. A heavy sleeper might be okay, but as a light sleeper I didn't have the greatest sleep experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Rebecca S, Manager at Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for your kind remarks regarding our hotel and staff. I apologize for the loss of sleep you experienced due to the noise level in your room. We do have corner rooms which would not be as affected by outside noises as well as larger, more spacious rooms, both of which can be requested at the time of check in.

Thank you for taking the time to give us this valuable feedback.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was there last week for the Odyssey of the Mind World Finals.

Yes - the rooms are very small. No closets. Put your stuff in the drawers and your luggage on top of the furniture.

Yes - the bathrooms are even smaller. The shower drain is in the corner of the floor with no shower pan. So basically, think of it as a very large shower with a toilet and a sink in it and you'll be fine. :-)

As small as it is, the room and the bathroom are very nicely furnished and are clean.

The location is great for campus activities. The staff was very professional and friendly Drink prices in the bar were reasonable. We ate the banquet-style catered food for all of our meals and the food was better than just good, but I wouldn't exactly say "very good".

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the spa tub. I didn't have it but someone else in my group did. Apparent...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Rebecca S, Manager at Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us during the Odyssey of the Mind World Finals. As you mentioned, our standard rooms are small, but we have made every effort to make the best use of the available space. We do have larger rooms with more conventional bathrooms which can be requested in advance.
Huntington, VT
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed here for an event that was held on the MSU campus. While the people at the hotel were lovely, the rooms are VERY SMALL. As noted in other posts, the bathrooms are extremely tiny and since there is no tub, or enclosure that keeps water from the shower "corralled" the floor of the bathroom gets wet almost in its entirety when showering. Just be prepared that you will be in tight quarters.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your kind remarks about our hotel staff. In regard to our bathroom design, we have tried to utilize a very small area in the most efficient way possible. We offer several rooms with tubs that can be requested when making a reservation or at check-in.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed May 9, 2013

As stated in many of these reviews, the room is very small. It was fine since I was traveling alone, but I wouldn't share with anyone unless I really liked them!

The room was also not so clean - very, very dusty. I had to dust with a wet towel. The dust level inside the grates near the floor was literally several inches thick.

The saving grace of the hotel is most definitely the staff. They are all very, very friendly. I ordered room service and it was very quick and friendly.

I would stay again if I had to for a conference, but probably wouldn't seek it out for a pleasure stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Rebecca S, Manager at Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and have spoken with our housekeeping staff regarding your concerns about excessive dust in the rooms. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about our facility and for your kind remarks about our hotel staff and room service.
Coloma, Michigan, United States
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Overall an OK hotel with a great staff but the rooms have the worst bathroom setup since I have been in Europe. In fact European bathrooms beat theirs. The bathroom is barely larger than a closet which of course means no bath tub. The shower head comes straight out of the ceiling and sprays right onto the floor with only a drain. No ledge or anything, the bathroom is the shower so the floor gets wet immediately. Of course if you like a shower while sitting on the toilet you could do that. They do offer a wooden plank to place on the floor, I guess to traverse on after the shower so that you don't have to step in the water. The sink is very strange as well, it is a large square bowl, almost flat, the shaving cream and toothpaste spit just sat there with no gravity to take it to the drain and there is very little space to put your shaving gear near the sink. I did ask staff about whose idea the bathroom set up was and I was told that "most people only take showers at hotels" which I would have to agree with but at least most hotels provide an enclosed shower space. Very strange and I am sure very awkward especially for older clientele. We were laughing at one gentleman we had discussed the shower with who was a bit tall and did not realize that the shower head could be moved around by bending the shaft and he was stooping under it until he figured it out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Rebecca S, Manager at Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
I am sorry that you found our bathroom design unsatisfactory. When renovating, we made every effort to utilize the space in the most efficient way possible. We do have rooms with more traditional bathrooms as well as bathtubs which can be requested when making your reservation, or at the time of check-in, if available.

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us.
Lansing, Michigan, United States
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I worked with Kellogg for months planning the Life as a Zebra Foundation benefit. The staff at Kellogg were incredible. Everyone I worked with was so kind, professional, and went above and beyond time and time again to make sure everything was perfect for our event and our guests. I cannot say enough about how wonderful my experience with Kellogg was. As for our room, it was clean, modern, and comfortable. I would stay at Kellogg again in a heartbeat, and have since recommended it to anyone who will listen. Also, I look forward to planning our next benefit there. The staff, facilities, and resources available are simply the BEST! Thank you Kellogg for everything!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Rebecca S, Manager at Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post feedback about your experiences here at the Kellogg Center. We're so glad everything went well with your event and appreciate the glowing recommendation. We look forward to working with you on your next event.
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Lansing
#1 of 25 in Lansing
Residence Inn East Lansing
Residence Inn East Lansing
#3 of 9 in East Lansing

Been to Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center? Share your experiences!