“GREAT”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
“GREAT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

I love the Kellogg Center; I have stayed here six times and have never been disappointed; friendly knowledgeable staff, great location for MSU; clean rooms.

Room Tip: GREAT rooms, but carpet needs updates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Lambertville, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

We stayed here for my sons/parent orientation to MSU and were very impressed. The staff was very professional and helpful. I think we were fortunate in that we got a corner room with windows all around two walls. Rooms were clean and looked like they were recently remodeled, with a spa type bathroom. The beds were very comfortable, and the room seemed a little crowded but very functional.
Our room came with complementary breakfast, it was good, a buffet with enough variety to please most everyone. The bar closed early but there is a restaurant just ½ a block down they was happy to take our money.
Great place to stay, look forward to going back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

Front desk staff was very cool. The hotel overall was just okay. No frills or excitment. The one thing that I did think was very cool was the face that the shower in the bathroom was just in the corner. My friends referred to this as very "European". Reminds me of the Ikea space saver items. I thought it was cool. Overall this was a decent hotel.

Sandusky, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

The room was very dark, cramped and musty. No space to lay out a suitcase. The bathroom was a joke! No tub or shower! Just a pipe in the ceiling and a hole in the floor drain. You could only stand under the pipe and let the water splash all over the bathroom floor. There wasn’t even a curb to confine the dirty water to the corner under the pipe. After washing you had to mop the floor. It was a mess! No hand holds. Just dangerous!! No space for toiletries. The sink basin was too shallow to wash your hands without rubbing bottom of sink under faucet. The staff was professional at blowing off complaints. When my wife complained about the dust in the room the checkout clerk wanted to know why she hadn't given them a chance to fix it. Like it was my wife’s fault! No apology for the hotels poor housekeeping. She wanted to argue. The A/C was noisy and we slept in a constant draft.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the Kellogg Center
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Ligppod
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

I stayed here for a week for a conference. It was Mich State Parents' weekend for incoming students, so the hotel was quite busy. Nevertheless, the staff handled it professionally. Here's my breakdown:

PROS--
1. Staff was amazing. I had a minor emergency upon arrival (lost credit card), and the staff was really patient with me and helped to resolve the situation according to MY needs, NOT just their policy--they let me prepay until I got another card. I *wish* I could remember the young woman's name who worked with me while I was on the phone with the CC company, she went above and beyond. Moreover, even though they were booked solid, they were very helpful when I had to extend my stay by 2 nights...they took my name and let me know as days became available. Many places would have just shrugged it off. When my cohort's luggage was lost at the airport, they arranged for the shuttle to run us to the mall so she could get a new wardrobe for our meetings. Most of the staff are students at Mich State, and many of them are Hospitality majors, so this speaks volumes for their program, imho. (I don't fault the students for the design of the rooms.)

2. Restaurant/Bar was good. The food at the State House was a little better than typical hotel restaurant fare (some more exotic selections), but the prices were typical hotel prices. If I wasn't staying on business, I would have eaten elsewhere more often to save some money. I particularly enjoyed their selections of Michigan wines (who knew?). The bar/grill ("KC's") was very small, but had nice big windows so you didn't feel claustrophobic. In both cases, staff was very fast, getting you ready to go, without rushing you out.

3. Room designs were creative. The establishment is a bit older, so the rooms don't have the spaciousness of more modern places, but I think that they did an interesting job of making what space they have work. Modern fixtures in the bathroom (my single room had a tiled-in tub, which I thought was unique), and interesting dark wood decor that made it feel kind of rustic yet modern.

4. Setting was nice. Behind the hotel there are a few stone paths that led across to the university proper...very lush and green on that side. I took a stroll at around 8pm and things were very quiet and relaxing.

CONS-

1. Rooms are small. See point #3, though.

2. Some aspects of the hotel seem a bit dated (80s?), but I give them credit for keeping the place cleaner than average, and trying to update the little things.

Don't go into this looking for a 5 star resort. Instead, if you are looking for a solid 3.5 star with exceptional service, this is your place. Overall, I would stay here again, and I would recommend this hotel to others.

Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

Hard to believe this hotel is run by one of the preeminate hospitality management programs in the country. Our standard double room was ridiculously, uncomfortably, and dangerously small. There's not enough room between the wall and bed to access the bed from both sides, resulting in the option of either crawling in from the foot of the bed, or climbing over your partner. The bathroom was clean and nicely modern, but again, too small. The bathroom sink didn't drain water and almost overflowed. It's difficult to understand why the rooms were designed to be so small when there is so much empty space surrounding the hotel. It's not as if it was built in the middle of a large city where space is a premium... it's East Lansing, Michigan. The room was dark, but not dark enough to hide the very soiled carpet. Why would anyone design and maintain a hotel like this?

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tulip012
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed for 4 nights and loved the bizarre bathroom. Had to get that out there because I am surprised by how many people can't figure out a one- room shower/bathroom. Tip: aim the shower head down or toward the corner, and the water drains nicely. It is a great design for maximizing a small space. If you have been to Europe, you have probably seen this set-up.

Other observations: the room was clean, well organized but a bit dark for my taste. The hotel location is the best and the staff who drive the van are friendly, and willing to take guests anywhere if not otherwise busy. The wireless was great and the conference facilities were also really good. The restaurant on the ground floor was excellent- I recommend the lobster risotto or lobster mac n cheese ( if you love lobster, for sure!). The hospitality students who work here are the gem of the place and I truly enjoyed talking with them about the program and their experience.

I walked to the shops and restaurants near campus and it was a flat, easy walk.

Room Tip: ask for Traditional bathroom if concerned
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Lansing
University Quality Inn
University Quality Inn
#13 of 25 in Lansing
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites East Lansing

Been to Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center? Share your experiences!