“Really nice, modern hotel-would certainly return”

Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
Chicago, Illinois
“Really nice, modern hotel-would certainly return”
Reviewed April 3, 2011

We just spent two nights at the Kellogg Center while our teenagers visited Michigan State. It was a lovely stay-and after having read some of the negative commentary on this site, I have to assume that the rooms were recently renovated.

Our room was normal-sized, very modern and comfortable. It included two double beds, two desks/workstations, a couch that pulled out into a single bed, a wet bar, and a bathroom with a jacuzzi tub/shower combo. Parking and wifi were complimentary. The location was right across the street from some MSU dorms and right down the block from the basketball stadium. Campustown was a 5 min walk away (although the city buses stopped right outside as well).

Check in was easy and professional. Besides reception, the main floor included a lobby shop/MSU spirit store, a bar and a restaurant. Prices were reasonable and service was pleasant.

All in all, the hotel offered everything we could want for a nice visit to MSU-we will certainly stay there again should we return to the area..

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank perljam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
hudsonville, mi
Reviewed October 3, 2010

We picked this locations because as alumni we remember how nice it is to get around when you're on campus. On game day we got free parking at a structure that cost everyone else $15.

There were some previous reviews about the bathroom, but other than it being a little small, we didn't see a problem with the showers. They had tiles and created the feel of a tub. The room consisted of a queen bed, desk, HDTV and a chair. Probably designed for a couple or a person staying for a business conference.

Really enjoyed our stay and we'll most likely be back again next year.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Stayed in a King room for a single overnight while in town for a family event that took place on campus. Location, then, was great and the staff seemed pleasant enough during check-in and check-out. Bed was very comfortable and the furnishings were nicer than in many hotels. I appreciated the wide, full-length mirror on the closet doors.

However, overall I wasn't really impressed. The rooms are very small and dark (although the compact fluorescent bulbs do get brighter after a little time), and add me to the chorus of reviewers who were baffled about the design of the bathroom. Who in their right mind would think it's a good idea to slop shower water all over the entire floor of the bathroom? And if you brought your own shower toiletries there is really no place to put them. Although the toilet seat is conveniently about three inches away on the other side of the curtain, so you can just set them there, like I did. I feel bad for the maids who have to clean up a giant bathroom mess after guests check out. Personally, I did not feel it was my job to spend 10 minutes cleaning up the floor due to poor design.

Also, there were a number of gnats hopping around the floor of our bathroom and there was a small dead bug on the bed that I noticed shortly after check-in. There was no bag for the ice bucket. Vending machines didn't list prices for the pop inside; you had to guess. ($1.50.) If you need a room with a mini-fridge or microwave, look elsewhere. The lounge downstairs was being vacuumed at 11:40 p.m. on a Saturday so I believe they were closed/closing even though the Hotel Guidebook lists them being open for "late night hours on Fridays and Saturdays." We were hungry and too exhausted to go out so we wandered around the lobby looking for pizza delivery coupons; the desk clerk did end up having some when we finally asked.

Others traveling in our party called ahead the night before and again the morning of check-in to ask if they could check in early and were told they could. Upon arrival, they were checked into a room that hadn't been cleaned yet. We, however, did not have this problem and also checked in early.

If we had booked our room for an extended stay, I think I would have been pretty unhappy by the time we left. For a single overnight, though, it was OK. Probably would not stay here again although the location was really very good for attending our on-campus event.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Maryland
Reviewed May 9, 2010

This is my first review on Travelocity. I am compelled to write this review so others will not endure the same experience I had. While on business in Lansing, I stayed at this hotel at the recommendation of a colleague. The location of the hotel is on the edge of the Michigan State campus and is a five to ten minute walk to commercial activity and the heart of the campus. That pretty much sums up the good part of my experience. First, I was given a room that was really old and dingy and interestingly had a shower in the tiny bathroom WITH NO DOORS OR TUB. Basically, water just runs all over the floor of the bathroom. Ridiculous. When I complained, I was told I could get a "new" room if I paid a few more dollars. I agreed and was given a much newer room that had a shower with a tub. Generally, this is not something that I would consider an upgrade. The shower with the tub would have been fine but the access panel to the tub fell on my foot when I picked up the bathmat. This might be the first time I was injured at a hotel (I have stayed at many nice hotels). When I called down to the front desk and demanded a manager come see me, a nice manager did in fact come to the room. The hotel apparently does not have a first aid kit. Is this even possible? The manager got ice and offered me a free breakfast which I declined because I really just wanted to leave. No one ever followed up with me about my injury. I sent a review questionnaire back to the hotel describing my injury with my contact information - again no response. Very disappointed.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank EsquireMan
michigan
Reviewed March 31, 2010

If it wasn't for the location I would never stay here. It's pricey the rooms are small. The bathrooms and the showers are small. The pillows are awful.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank chuck24
Indiana
Reviewed September 15, 2009

Yes the rooms are small and poorly lit. The bathroom is indeed annoyingly tiny. But do other hotels offer free use of campus facilities (2 pools, fitness center, tennis club) not to mention the covered parking. This property was a dorm in the 50s that has been transformed into a great campus stay. And its the only hotel offering Canadian programming (via the CBC) on chennel 27. If you want a plastic, standard property, there are a other options. I like the Kellog Center!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank 2Midwest
Michigan
Reviewed July 30, 2009

I have been at many banquets inside the Kellogg Center which were always lovely and the lobby is really nice so I decided to stay there when I went to Lansing. The rooms did not meet my expectations. The room was so tiny, there was barely space for the bed and the desk. There was no shower! Just a hose from the ceiling and a curtain in the tiny bathroom that was pratically on top of the toilet. Despite my best efforts, the floor got soaked and I had to wipe it all up. The room was really poorly lit, which made it impossible to do the work I needed to do, despite the fact that there would have been a nice desk in there to do it. Honestly, I felt like it was nothing more than a glorified dorm room, and for what I paid to stay there I expected it to be MUCH nicer. I would never stay here again, given the nicer rooms (and lower prices) I've paid to stay at the Staybridge in Okemos and Hampton Inn in East Lansing.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Hampton Inn East Lansing
Hampton Inn East Lansing
#1 of 9 in East Lansing
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites East Lansing

Been to Kellogg Hotel And Conference Center? Share your experiences!