“Mixed Bag - Not a Typical New Holiday Inn Express”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites East Lansing
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Based on the few reviews on this property here to date, and that it was a new(er) H.I. Express I decided to stay for 2 nights on a business trip to MSU. But as I found out, this not the typical new HI Express that I find in most parts of the country.

First - the staff is really nice, very accommodating and hard working. Even gave me a lower rate upon check-in when I mentioned I was there for business with MSU. I slept good and the hotel was surprisingly quiet considering the things I'll list below.

Second, while new, this is pretty much a bare-bones H.I. Express, and does not have the touches or modern decor in the rooms or hallways that other new H.I. Express' do, and is much more spartan. The construction of the place is poor - get a top-floor room or you'll likely hear your neighbors above. Despite being across the street and a ways away from the freeway, the traffic noise is extremely noticeable from the highway. They used poor window that aren't the least bit insulated, so if you don't have the heat or A/C on high you're going to hear quite a bit of road noise - I actually had to check to see if a) the window was open and b) if there really was a window at all when I got in the room.

While it has the Holiday Inn Express name and logo on it, It really seemed to be more a Super 8-type property based on my experience. Speaking of which, I think it is overpriced for what you get. And for some reason they seem to have a lack of king-size beds too.

The property was very clean - however I couldn't give it a stellar rating for that because somehow the housekeeping staff did not clean my room when I left for the day at 10:00 a.m. - there was no DND sign on the door or any notification from the hotel why they didn't clean the room.

While I get to the Lansing area a few times a year on business, I would try someplace else before going back here.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites East Lansing

Reviewed August 11, 2010

Upon arrival, the one staff member working at the front desk was very friendly and talkative. However, the room was warm and muggy - given, it was a hot and smoggy day outside. However, they could've turned the AC on in the room by 3:00pm (check-in time at the hotel) so that it would be comfortable by the time we arrived. Otherwise, the room was very clean, shower and bathroom in general was fine. The location of the hotel was also relatively near an Applebee's and a grocery store, but overall the area that the hotel was in was not very nice. The free breakfast wasn't very good either.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Typical HX hotel and brand new. Clean quiet and good breakfast

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ColoradoDenver
Reviewed February 11, 2010

We stayed here over the weekend to celebrate a family birthday. The hotel is very new, just under a year old. Upon check-in we were upgraded to a suite, free of charge. The suite had a king size bed, good bedding, flat screen hdtv, desk, loveseat (hide-a-bed), coffee table and a small kitchen area with mini-fridge and microwave.
The room was very clean, smelled fresh and the kitchen area was stocked with paper towels, disposable plates and cutlery, cups and coffee items.
The pool area was nice, very clean. Our only disappointment was the lack of a hot tub. Fitness center was basic, two treadmills, bike, hand weights and exercise ball. Everything was clean and in working order.
We checked out the free breakfast spread the next morning. It was pretty good, a variety of hot and cold choices. The coffee, tea and hot chocolate area was open and available all day, which was nice.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, quickly accommodating our request for a late check-out and extra towels.

Overall, our stay was great and we were happy to find a nice hotel on the North side of Lansing.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lansing at Eastwood
University Quality Inn
University Quality Inn
#14 of 26 in Lansing

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites East Lansing? Share your experiences!