“We were very impressed”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“We were very impressed”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

As MSU Alumni my wife and I have the occasion to stay in area motels as least once a year. Last week we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express - East Lansing for the first time. We had a great experience and will be staying there again in the future.

Some of our reasons are:

Great price - cheaper than other less appealing motels we have stayed at in the area.

Great location - near the freeway mid-way between Lansing and East Lansing.

Great continental breakfast - better than most of the competition. Very pleasant dining area and included several good hot menu items along with the usual cold fare. Coffee was first rate too.

Great room - very large, clean, modern and up-to-date. The facility is quiet and off the beaten track even though near the freeway. The heating unit was easy to adjust to our preferences and the beds were fine.

Great parking lot - we were there during a very snowy weekend and the roads were a mess. At the motel the entire parking lot was ploughed out both days before we left for the day. It seemed the snowplow also made a return trip as the individual parking slots were also plowed out by later in the day. There was a back entrance near our room and two handicapped slots right there which we needed.

Great staff - a real high point - every one was pleasant and attentive. When the lock on the rear door froze and I reported it at the front desk a front desk clerk personally went immediately back to the door and unstuck it. The crowning kudo though was that I forgot a personal bag filled with expensive toys. Unpacking at home and finding it missing I call the motel who confirmed they had found it and safely stored it away. A special thanks goes to the front desk clerk who assisted me in arranging a UPS pickup and packed up the bag for shipment. She even called me back to double confirm the shipping information when UPS arrived on site. I got my bag back the next day!

The Holiday Inn Express is my favorite place to stay in the East Lansing area!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank syncopepper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Downingtown
Reviewed November 24, 2013

This was the first time that a H.I. Express did not have a refrigerator in the room. The breakfast was ok. the fruit was not fresh. there were lots restaurants nearby and shopping. close to the college. Standards to other H.I Express that we have stayed in was disappointing for us. We recommended H.I. express for our family members (coming up from Indiana) to stay while we visited the college and they were not impressed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We arrived in the evening after hours of driving in the snowing day. The staff is very nice and the room is comfortable. The welcome snack and bottle water works well. The breakfast is also terrific.
I highly recommend it.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Xianp C
Cincinnati
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Front desk staff is very friendly at this establishment which is conveniently located among several amenities (restaurants, Kroger, etc.). The common area and grounds are clean and well maintained. Parking lot is well lit. Good value for what you'll pay.

I would not recommend the rooms on the first floor which is where I was "upgraded" as a Platinum Elite Priority Club Member. While the room very clean, was noisy - from check-in's late night going into their rooms, to vending, to the heavy footed individual above my room (he paced for what seemed like an eternity). The bed was very comfortable but other areas of the room needed a little TLC such as the desk lamp which worked when it wanted to, a very visible torn bed skirt, and scuff's on the wall that needed a bit of paint. Breakfast was hot with a few choices and the staff who maintained that area were super friendly. No fruit, though if you were expecting that. All in all, a decent Holiday Inn Express which is true to the brand name.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor - it is noisy most of the evening.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Cincybearcatfan
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites East Lansing, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Cincybearcatfan,

Thank you for your stay and leaving us feedback. I am pleased you liked our convenient location as well as our friendy staff. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I’m sorry you were not fully satisfied with the accommodations received. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Thank you again for your comments, and continued loyalty as an IHG Rewards Club Platinum Elite member.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here for the U-M game in November 2013. Spaceous rooms, friendly service, decent room amenities. It's close to a nice outdoor mall with good stores and restaurants. Not as far from campus as I thought, plus less congested and easier to get into town on game day from the north rather than from the south (Okemos). The mattress was just OK - which is why I gave it three stars. Liked the free breakfast, too. A winner!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Herb G,

Thank you for your review. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative of your comments about our friendly staff. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge the staff concerned.

I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This hotel was an awesome place to stay for a last minute get away. The gentleman at the front desk did a great job and was very efficient checking us in. We had a beautiful suite right by the lobby, but we did experience a lot of lobby noise. Overall though I would defiantly recommend this hotel to family and friends who would be visiting the Lansing, Michigan area. Just an FYI, if your using google maps it will tell you to turn right off of 127 south, but the hotel is actually to the left off of 127 south.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sue Ann J
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I had a trip planned to East Lansing to watch my son's college football team. When we found out he would not be playing on the Sunday before I decided to cancel the trip(5 days advance notice). Why spend all that time traveling to watch him stand the sideline. I cancelled online as I had made my reservations online. Shortly after I got an email stating I would not be getting a refund!!! I have a confirmation email stating it was a refundable room. I called Holiday Inn Express to be told I booked through Expedia. I called Expedia to be told it wasn't through them. Finally contacted bookings.com to be told they had to have a supervisor call HI to ask not to be charged, then they would not charge me. The individual would not accept my confirmation that said the room was refundable. Have not heard back, it was been over two weeks. I want my $170 back!!!!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

#14 of 25 in Lansing
Courtyard Lansing
Courtyard Lansing
#8 of 25 in Lansing

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites East Lansing? Share your experiences!