“Very Disappointed”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
Venice, CA
“Very Disappointed”
Reviewed November 24, 2011

I am a frequent traveler and the Holiday Inn Express chain has been one of the brands I have stayed in around the country. This one is sub-par. The quality is all pretty low. While the room is OK and clean, the towels are very thin and rough. The toilet paper is all one-ply, which for the price of this hotel just seems cheap. The breakfast was standard Holiday Inn Express, but the person working the room was rude and things were still being put out a half hour after the breakfast started. Finally I have a lot of points with this chain (high level club member) yet they put me in a room right next to the vending machine, which was so loud all night I could not sleep.

Overall, I do not recommend.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Lambertville, Michigan
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Spent two nights at the Holiday Inn Express for a Spartan Football game. It’s just a few miles from campus, a quick couple of minutes down the expressway. It’s on West road which is a little tricky to find. When you exit the expressway the GPS didn’t have a chance to warn you about the next turn. The hotel location is a little deserted, a lot of office buildings next door. Not within walking distance of any restaurants, while it looked safe, the roads where dark with not many street lights. There is a Kroger, Meijers close by and plenty of restaurants a ½ mile away and many more across the expressway.
The hotel lobby is nice and check in was quick and efficient. We had a third floor room, spacious room a bit bigger than most hotel rooms; bathroom was good sized and looked to be recently updated. Nice selection of pillows to choose from but the beds weren’t the best. While I have slept on worse they had a plastic mat that crinkled when you moved and seemed reflect the heat back to you making it hot. I thought it was just me but others said the same thing. A nice pillow top mattress pad would have made for a better sleep.
While we came on a football weekend and expected the crowd to be a little rowdy, the thin walls made it hard to sleep. Flushed toilets sound like the water is rushing right next to you and doors close with the sound of a gunshot. This with uncomfortable beds made for poor sleeping.
We were pleasantly surprised by the breakfast served. Nice choice of breads, muffins, yogurt and cereal. The main course was and egg and cheese omelet, bacon and patty sausage. While it’s not a gourmet meal, it was a nice way to start the day. It was well maintained and never seemed to run low.
It was family weekend and MSU so the room rates were inflated. I paid $150 a night and considering the room I would call that on the high side. The place is only worth the weekday rate ($95).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank quikdog42389

Travelers are raving about these East Lansing hotels

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Pros: Double room was large and appeared clean. Beds were comfortable with nice selection of pillows. Very safe location with a lot of shopping and restaurants nearby. Free internet. Hot breakfast.

Cons: My room smelled! I can't pinpoint the smell but it was unpleasant. The staff were functional but weren't overly helpful. The pool was FREEZING cold. Also there were a lot of small annoyances: lame treadmills, no ice machine on my floor (2), no gravy for biscuits and gravy, a fly buzzing in my room, and no tv guide/menu.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Stayed two nights while attending a nearby conference. The room was clean and pleasant, located across from the pool. Staff were helpful. The continental breakfast was well laid out and even offered fresh pancakes. Several nice restaurants and good shopping nearby.
However, I do feel it was overpriced ($165/night) for a place that was nice but nothing fancy.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Highland, IN
Reviewed October 25, 2011

As others have posted, the hotel is difficult to find the first time. However, the room (suite size) was large, clean, and comfortable. The bed was very nice. Breakfast was good, and staff was friendly. A nice place to stay.

However, they raised the price of the room by $100 that night because of a big MSU game. Also because of the game the place was packed with revelers. They gave us a room on the second floor, in the front, and directly above the entrance. The noise until 4 a.m. was too much for me to sleep. In addition, the room above us must have been populated by elephants – late into the night and early morning they also helped keep me awake.

While the big game was not the hotel’s fault, I would recommend staying on the top floor and not in the front by the entrance. It was disappointing that for so much extra money I got only two hours of sleep.

Room Tip: In back on top floor.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Booked a room here after discovering there was no vacancy at the nearby Hampton Inn - and because we wanted to be close to the MSU campus. I was pleasantly surprised - this is probably the nicest HI Express I've stayed in.

The staff was very friendly - only down side was that the elevator was out of commission the night we stayed but we were offered a 1st floor room which we declined and hoofed it to the 3rd floor. No problem.

Had a 2-queen room and it was huge and very clean. Felt like a new hotel. Had a large breakfast and lobby area, and even had cookies out for guests upon arrival. Also had hot chocolate packets available for evening use and this was the first HI Express I've seen do that as well - others only put it out at breakfast. Very quiet location and again, nice and clean and modern. Very fast internet connection on the business center computer. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Escanaba, Michigan
Reviewed September 30, 2011

If you have some flexibility in where you stay in the E.L. area, you can save some money by checking around. Our AARP rate for Sunday night was $113, which is higher than what I have been paying, but I hadn't checked around much. When I mentioned we would need a room for the following Tuesday night, I was told the AARP rate would be $132. I used their wifi and went online- used mapquest and trip advisor and found several motels out at Okemos Road and I-96 with rooms much cheaper than that. I booked the Comfort Inn at above location for $72 AARP. It was just as nice and the location did not matter to us. Both places worked just as well.

Don't get me wrong- there is nothing the matter with this HI Express. In fact, their hot breakfast is great- especially the hot cinnamon rolls. Unless you are going to the convention center adjacent, check around for a better rate.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
#14 of 25 in Lansing
Courtyard Lansing
Courtyard Lansing
#8 of 25 in Lansing

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites East Lansing? Share your experiences!