“A Great Place To Stay”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in East Lansing
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“A Great Place To Stay”
Reviewed April 10, 2011

The hotel accommodations were excellent. Rooms were spotless and linens smelled fresh. The continental breakfast had something for everyone, and there was always coffee or hot water out during the day. The pool was very inviting. The hotel was quiet so we had a good nights rest. This is a great place to stay, just off the interstate, with restaurants across the street or nearby. The only problems we encountered was when we stayed the second day, the clerk at the front desk failed to reactive our keys. Also, our reservation was for four people, yet housekeeping left only three sets of linen both days.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Novi, Michigan
Reviewed November 26, 2010

Booking: This hotel was booked through one of my friends who needed to stay in East Lansing on business.

First Impressions: The hotel was very hard to find. The address didn’t show up in my GPS and because my friend booked it, I had no idea what or where she booked. After driving around for an hour, I finally called to find out where it was. The front desk guy, Dan, was very nice and explained how you get there. When we pulled up, the hotel was brand new, and everything was in perfect order. The keys were waiting for us when we got there, because they knew that we would be walking in any minute. Dan was really nice to us, and offered to put us in a room with a double bed.

Room: Oddly, when we got to the room, it was still a single bed. Too tired to call the front desk to have it switched, we decided to just share the large bed. I believe that there was a pull out sofa in the room, so maybe that constituted a double bed? I am not sure. When we walked in, the room was large and comfortable. It was the standard, Holiday Inn, no frills kind of a room, but it was nice, new, and clean.

Room Pros: The room had a mini fridge, microwave, sink, coffee maker, very nice shower, nice counter space in the bathroom, and decent bedding.

Room Cons: The room looks pretty bare. It is spacious, but they didn’t bother to dress it with more furniture. There are 2 gapping holes on each side of the TV, which looks odd. It needs a lamp and a dresser (or something?) It really didn’t matter to us; we were there for the convenience and little else.

Hotel Pros: This hotel is new, clean, comfortable, and includes breakfast. Breakfast has several options, but not very healthy options. It has a very nice indoor pool. Breakfast is included and hot drinks also. The staff are all very nice; some of the nicest hotel staff that I have dealt with in awhile.

Hotel Cons: I was really excited to workout, but NOT excited when I got on their treadmill. Basically, their gym is 2 low budget treadmills that fall below commercial standards that are in hotels. The heart rate monitors didn’t work on them and you couldn’t even clear the screen to “start over” so you are basically working off of someone else’s workout. My friend came over to meet me at the hotel because I was to train while I was in town. I did end up training her on the treadmill, but it was fairly pitiful. If I had known how crappy they were going to be, I would have made other arrangements to run elsewhere.

Location: It is conveniently located by the 127 expressway and Lake Lansing Rd, making it a very good location with great accessibility. You are right by Eastwood Towne Centre, which has great stores and restaurants.

Wireless Internet: The wireless internet worked great. You only have to put in your user name and password once. Some hotels have you put it in 99 times throughout your stay, which gets unnerving. (Marriott, I am talking to you!) I had a pretty good connection. I think it dropped a handful of times, but nothing too bad. I was pleased overall.

Housekeeping: I had a good experience with housekeeping here. We were asked whether we wanted more towels and they pretty much stayed out of our way. The male housekeeper I spoke to was really nice.

Points of Interest: I liked how they leave you coupons in the lobby area for restaurants. You can get a free appetizer at both Bravo and MSU Café. This was perfect for us because we were heading out a lot and meeting friends on down time while there. I liked how they just put the coupons out, because I never think to ask the front desk for things like that. Also, the staff was so nice in fact, that they even left a note on my car saying that my tires were looking low. (Dan did that.) They really try to go out of their way for you. We had to checkout much later than we had originally planned and past the late checkout time. They figured out a way to accommodate us, and that was amazing. We really appreciated all of the little “extras.”

Conclusion: This is one of the better places for you to stay in East Lansing. I would recommend it for families, business travelers, solos, or anyone that wants a nice, clean room for their stay to the Lansing area.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelingBeautifully
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Based on the few reviews on this property here to date, and that it was a new(er) H.I. Express I decided to stay for 2 nights on a business trip to MSU. But as I found out, this not the typical new HI Express that I find in most parts of the country.

First - the staff is really nice, very accommodating and hard working. Even gave me a lower rate upon check-in when I mentioned I was there for business with MSU. I slept good and the hotel was surprisingly quiet considering the things I'll list below.

Second, while new, this is pretty much a bare-bones H.I. Express, and does not have the touches or modern decor in the rooms or hallways that other new H.I. Express' do, and is much more spartan. The construction of the place is poor - get a top-floor room or you'll likely hear your neighbors above. Despite being across the street and a ways away from the freeway, the traffic noise is extremely noticeable from the highway. They used poor window that aren't the least bit insulated, so if you don't have the heat or A/C on high you're going to hear quite a bit of road noise - I actually had to check to see if a) the window was open and b) if there really was a window at all when I got in the room.

While it has the Holiday Inn Express name and logo on it, It really seemed to be more a Super 8-type property based on my experience. Speaking of which, I think it is overpriced for what you get. And for some reason they seem to have a lack of king-size beds too.

The property was very clean - however I couldn't give it a stellar rating for that because somehow the housekeeping staff did not clean my room when I left for the day at 10:00 a.m. - there was no DND sign on the door or any notification from the hotel why they didn't clean the room.

While I get to the Lansing area a few times a year on business, I would try someplace else before going back here.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Upon arrival, the one staff member working at the front desk was very friendly and talkative. However, the room was warm and muggy - given, it was a hot and smoggy day outside. However, they could've turned the AC on in the room by 3:00pm (check-in time at the hotel) so that it would be comfortable by the time we arrived. Otherwise, the room was very clean, shower and bathroom in general was fine. The location of the hotel was also relatively near an Applebee's and a grocery store, but overall the area that the hotel was in was not very nice. The free breakfast wasn't very good either.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Denver
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Typical HX hotel and brand new. Clean quiet and good breakfast

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ColoradoDenver
East Lansing, MI
Reviewed February 11, 2010

We stayed here over the weekend to celebrate a family birthday. The hotel is very new, just under a year old. Upon check-in we were upgraded to a suite, free of charge. The suite had a king size bed, good bedding, flat screen hdtv, desk, loveseat (hide-a-bed), coffee table and a small kitchen area with mini-fridge and microwave.
The room was very clean, smelled fresh and the kitchen area was stocked with paper towels, disposable plates and cutlery, cups and coffee items.
The pool area was nice, very clean. Our only disappointment was the lack of a hot tub. Fitness center was basic, two treadmills, bike, hand weights and exercise ball. Everything was clean and in working order.
We checked out the free breakfast spread the next morning. It was pretty good, a variety of hot and cold choices. The coffee, tea and hot chocolate area was open and available all day, which was nice.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, quickly accommodating our request for a late check-out and extra towels.

Overall, our stay was great and we were happy to find a nice hotel on the North side of Lansing.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
University Quality Inn
University Quality Inn
#13 of 25 in Lansing
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lansing at Eastwood

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites East Lansing? Share your experiences!