“Best river to kayak in the north”
Review of Jordan River

More attraction details
Owner description: This Antrim County river has been protected by the state of Michigan since 1970.
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Go during the week or better yet in the spring when the water is running full throttle or in the fall for beautiful color. Either time you may be the only one on the river. Just enough current and obstacles to make you pay attention and have a great time. Best in a canoe or kayak and a little experience.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have been canoeing/kayaking this river since I was 5 yrs old (I'm 50+ now) This river is always COLD. Its not for the inexperienced canoer. It runs fast and has many curves and the obstacles are different every time you go.
We kayaked the river twice this trip and enjoyed every bit of it. I like the kayaks better as I have control of my own destiny and my husband & I are not fighting the whole time. Recommend coolers with beverages and a light snack for mid trip.
The tunnels are fast and the water is deep there. DO NOT try to turn into the current, it will flip you every time. I learned this the hard way.

2  Thank tcreller
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is an amazing river to go down if you enjoy the adventure of canoeing or kayaking! It is left natural so you get the full experience of maneuvering trees and logs and rocks that obstruct your path. It's a very chilly river so tubing isn't for the faint of heart but worth it if your a northerner or not fazed by cold water. There are a few different lengths of river where you can put in and take out and gauge how long you want to be on the river. Elderly people and children can definitely do the river but need to understand what it is they are getting into. It's definitely more difficult then most rivers people are used to downstate but for the people who run the Jordan valley outfitters it's not unlike any other river up north so they don't see it as difficult. Be aware there are a few areas to get out on land and relax along the way but pulling off in non populated areas are subject to poison ivy!!! Overall great!! Have fun!

3  Thank Brittany W
Reviewed August 25, 2012

What a gorgeous river! We put in at Graves Crossing bridge for a 9 mile ride to Rogers's Rd. Took nearly 3 hours. I have kayaked maybe 6 times so in my opinion this river ran a bit fast for me. I took in water early on, then tipped over at the culverts at Old State Rd. Hit my share of fallen trees, which was frustrating. One of them knocked me out of the kayak once again. I'd do it again after I gain more experience...but being wet and cold so long put me in a rotten mood.

2  Thank Goldilocks71
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Our family - 2 adults and 3 children (ages 11, 8 and 8) were misled by the owners of this outfit today and we had an awful experience on the Jordan River. I had called earlier in the day and told them that I had young kids but was interested in possibly getting a raft for the afternoon. The owner assured me it was an easy trip; that they had recently had a 91-year-old and a 4-month-old baby do the trip with 'no problem.'

Well, it is a problem. The Jordan River has scores of low hanging trees over stream and many fallen trees in the river which make it a gauntlet to try and manage with 3 young children and 2 adults. There are broken and dangerous branches everywhere. I find it hard to believe four adults could easily steer one of their large rafts through the maze of fallen trees and branches. For half to two-thirds of the journey, you are trying to avoid getting hurt as the raft slams into many spots. Two of my kids were traumatized by the seemingly endless forest of branches with which we were colliding. All of us have multiple scrapes and scratches. Quite frankly my wife and I tried to calm them and make the best of it. However, it was not what I paid for. I was extremely disappointed. To add insult to injury, one of their staff people shoved our raft out in the water without paying any attention to oncoming river traffic at launch. His negligence led us getting t-boned by an oncoming canoe. My daughter fell overboard at the impact of the canoe and was underwater for a minute or so trying to figure what had just happened. Needless to say, an 11 year old getting knocked out of a raft in her first experience, in her first minute, in 55 degree water, doesn't make for a good start to what we hoped would be a fun day.

After completing the trip, we went back to the office and confronted the female owner and asked her if she had taken a raft down the river recently. She claimed she had within a week or so with "no problem." I told her I found that hard to believe. I shared our poor experience and asked for a refund due to her misleading me after explaining what we had gone through. She then said she would have to call her husband and have me speak to him. At no time did she say "I'm sorry you had a bad time or bad experience or anything like that." Her husband came in and I shared the same with him and he insisted he "regularly" had been on the Jordan with 'no problem'. I told him that I want my money back and he wouldn’t respond to my request, only to defend that it was no problem to get through. He also showed no care or concern for our family's poor experience.

My bottom line -- no one should raft this stream. There are too many broken branches, fallen limbs and fallen trees in the water to make this an enjoyable experience. A good canoeist or kayaker should be OK but even then, you should be very careful.

20  Thank Tomahawk83