“simply excellent”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Nothing bad to say about this place... amazing menu, fair pricing, friendly and knowledgeable staff, and extensive beer/scotch list. Also has a great view of the lake and sunset. I had the pulled pork and chopped chicken... smoked to perfection. My girlfriend had the pecan walleye and it was also amazing.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Let me just say, the bbq at the Fitz is FANTASTIC. Really, it's amazing. We visit here at least three times each year when we are in the area (anywhere from 1 - 2 weeks). They have a rather small menu but nothing disappoints. Make it a point to stop. I don't think you will be disappointed.

The service however, could improve. Not so much the waitstaff as the general help when walking in. It is incredibly small and there is often a wait. Rather than directing and being helpful, the gents just seem to wander and slowing work toward figuring out just what they should do. My suggestion (if you are reading this!!!) would be take names! tell people where to wait! clear tables quickly! and sit guests in the order in which they arrived!! I would stress a reservation during the busy season, but please know, you may still wait a while, and you may see others walk in and get seated before you. Go. Eat. Enjoy.

1  Thank MelissaW1
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Melissa,

First of all, I'm very glad that you enjoy our food. I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience in terms of service, though, and I do appreciate your comments. For what it's worth, we do take names of parties that are waiting, and while we try to seat everyone in the order that they arrive, folks with a reservation do sometimes get seated first. We also typically direct folks that are waiting to the bar or the deck, but I apologize if we made a mistake in your case. Again, thank you for the feedback, and if you'd like to discuss it further, please email us at info@eagleriverinn.com or give us a call at 906-337-0666. Hopefully we'll see you again soon!

Reviewed July 10, 2012

I haven't went to Fitzgeralds in years, but it was definitely worth the wait. They have an outside smoker and have absolutely fantastic ribs, chicken, pork, and briscuit. There are other dishes as well, but I would highly recommend trying something from the smoker. They also have an excellent selection of whiskies which I'm not fond of but several people were enjoying. The service was fantastic. There is a beautiful view of the water and beach which you are practically on top of and there is outside seating available. We will be going back without a doubt!!!

Reviewed July 5, 2012

This restaurant would be one of the best in any city in the world. The fact that it's on a beach in a small town in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan makes it all the more extraordinary. There is a huge selection of whiskies (mostly scotch and bourbon, but others as well) and beers. The wait staff is attentive and commited to great service. Now the food - well, there aren't enough superlatives. They have a huge meat smoker that puts out some fabulous ribs, pork, brisket, and prime rib. They also feature pecan-crusted walleye and whitefish. The sides are right up there with the entrees. To add the cherry on top...the desserts are luscious, too. I almost wish this restaurant was closer to home so I could eat here all the time, but I couldn't bring the gorgeous sunsets and the views of Lake Superior that add to the ambience.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

The food and drinks were above and beyond. My husband was very impressed with the beer selection, our dinners were amazing and service was fantastic! The bar and restaurant are complimented by gorgeous views of Lake Superior. Stay a night at the Inn, dine on delicious food, take a walk on the beach that is just steps from the deck. You won't regret it. Run by a couple of pretty great people who know what they are doing :)