“Fun stay”

Splash Universe Resort
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Dundee
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

The park is a little smaller than some I have taken my family to but it was still fun. The suite we stayed in with another family was perfect and a good value. We had a great stay. The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. We will go again.

• Stayed: July 2013
Peter M, Manager at Splash Universe Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear. TraceyC,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and we are glad you and your family had fun while visiting us. We hope to see you again soon!

There are newer reviews for Splash Universe Resort

Reviewed June 27, 2013

My parents, boyfriend, and I stayed at the Holiday Inn- Dundee from June 15th thru June 17th for the NASCAR race this year. I must say, I was very impressed. This is probably the nicest Holiday Inn I have stayed at, to date. Although not directly affiliated with Cabela's (which is right across the street), the hotel is sportsman themed. If Cabela's were to build a hotel, I'd imagine it would look very similar to this one. The sportsman theme, I might add, is done in a very classy way. It really gives a cozy feel to this hotel. The 2 king jacuzzi suites we reserved were very nice. The jacuzzi was actually in the main area of the room, so you could sit in the jacuzzi, relax, and watch tv all at the same time. The hotel had its own pool, along with a water-park that was connected to the hotel. Check-in and check-out was hassle-free and the staff was very friendly and helpful. All in all, it was a very nice stay. When I return to Dundee, I will definitely be staying at the hotel again!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

My child wanted to go to an indoor waterpark with her friends for her birthday. In general I hate waterparks... All I can think of is athletes foot and plantar warts. However, realizing that I'm neurotic and just have to get over it, I asked a few trusted friends where the nicest place would be. They all told me this hotel and park is the cleanest and well kept. Amanda and Kara planned the birthday party over the phone. They were so pleasant and efficient. The waterpark is very clean and maintained and the lifeguard staff is positively military in its diligence. We were pretty impressed. The food at the birthday party was good, plentiful and the birthday cake was really cute. We stayed overnight and our suite had a king room, two bunks, and a pullout couch. The kids loved it. Clean and had a frig, coffee pot and micrwave area. The "kids eat free" deal helped us alot. The restaurant was ok, nothing unique. Breakfast buffet was good. Everthing is very kid oriented. We didn't visit the area surrounding the hotel so I can't really comment on it. There is a giant Cabela's outdoor sporting store right next door. Overall, the kids loved it and had a great time and the staff was really polite and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank roamfamily
Peter M, Manager at Splash Universe Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear. Roamfamily,

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive comments about your recent stay. We will pass along your comments to our Housekeeping department and let them know to keep up the great work. We will also communicate to Kara and Amanda that their work was appreciated also. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We checked in on Friday night. The room was more than I had expected. I enjoyed the wildlife theme throughout the entire hotel.
The water park was a bonus. We were not planning on using the water park but we ended up.
The staff was very accommodating and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank bkbkm

Dear.bkbkm,

Thank you for posting your comments about your recent stay with and we are very happy your experience was more than what you expected. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The staff wasn't very helpful and you had to pay extra for the water park witch is the only place with a hot tub They had a breakfast bar with no breakfast the cleaning ladies on the other hand we very nice and did a great job the beds we also ver comfortable

• Stayed: April 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Splash Universe Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear Searcher1316,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am pleased that the room accommodations lived up to your expectations. However, I am deeply sorry for the unacceptable service you have received from our staff. I assure you that this is not the norm you should expect from our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 17, 2013

This had a very unique hotel room with bunk style kids "room" slightly separated from the adult bed area by a 3/4 height wall. The kid on the one top bunk could easily rest their arm on and see over the top, so not much privacy there! Plus, would be very dangerous for a small child who might be tempted to crawl over and fall. Otherwise, the room was very cozy and adequate, and everything worked just fine. Kids loved the bunk beds and there were even small reading lights on the wall next to each bed.
The water park was fun, even for our middle-school kids who had never been to a water park, although we were warned by others with older kids that they might find it boring. I think they were all a good age for it, but were tired of it after the weekend. I think having the whole weekend there was maybe a little too long. We broke it up by going to Cabela's to look around, and out to dinner at Lone Star, which was a delicious, filling dinner. Our 10-year old son LOVED the floating log walk in the waterpark, he felt like he was a contestant on Wipe-Out! Our tween daughters loved the big water slides the best, and the huge bucket that dumps water every 5 minutes was fun. Our son is afraid of heights and wouldn't do the big water slides but he still found the medium slides to be a lot of fun. I'm glad they had those, too.
I found the water park to be VERY overcrowded on Saturday, not so bad on Sunday. The lazy river was shut down when we got there Saturday because someone had puked in the water. I guess they just let it cycle through for 15 minutes or so then call it "clean" again. The ambient temp of the air didn't seem like "86" to me, more like low 80s, even lower if you were anywhere near a door or the snack bar. Finding out that the hot tub was ONLY for 18 years and over was a huge bummer because there was no way for our kids to warm up. The water temp in the play areas is pretty warm, but there is so much time spent standing in line for everything that the kids got cold easily. The water park should have a parent/child hot tub area where they can warm up!!!!
The lazy river & family spa entrance/exit stairs was chaos! It's too hard for people to get out of the water when it's pushing them past the stairs so fiercely, much less if they have a tube or child in hand. Not only are people climbing over each other to get in/out of the river, this is the only spot to enter/exit the "family spa" area in the middle. The family spa is nothing more than an isolated area where people can swim around in the same 3' water, no tubes allowed in there. They should definitely change the layout of that entrance/exit so that it's not so dangerous!
I can't tell you how many people we saw slip and fall on the wet floor while we were there. I even fell and I was just moving my foot one step over when I was on the blue area around the baby play area. SUPER slippery!
There are posted rules for each play area, and the font is about as big as this that you are reading now so it can only be read if you are standing right in front of it from 2' away. Needless to say I don't think people ever read the rules. Life-guards were awesome and plentiful!
The waterpark itself and the hotel were both reasonably clean. The bathrooms/changing area/locker rooms were pretty clean, but impossibly wet so it's hard to change clothes in there. The shower water fluctuated from cold to burning hot the whole time, so not very pleasant experience in there for us. Since we had to check out of our hotel room though by 11am but planned to stay and play until later in the afternoon we were kind of stuck with it.
The staff was friendly, but the breakfast buffet was the ONLY option for breakfast. It's a typical Holiday Inn buffet of cereals, muffins, pancakes, potatoes, scrambled "eggs", sausage and bacon. Sounds good, but if you've stayed at another similar hotel you know what kind of quality food I'm talking about. It's not restaurant quality at all, but it was our only option. The restaurant was small but the wait staff took good care of us with beverages and chit-chat.
When you come, please pack well-fitted swim gear for yourselves and your kids. We saw a lot of butt cracks from poor-fitting swim trunks, esp when the water dumps on them, or when they crash into the water from the slides or the log walk!

Room Tip: Check for specials on Splash Universe website before booking. Don't need goggles because there i...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank HaggFam

Dear. Hagfam,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay with us. We appreciate all the comments we receive from our guests, both positive and negative. Your comments are very important to us as a guide to evaluate our services and ammenities we provide to our guests, and will be reviewed by our management team as an opportunity to ensure we deliver our promise of excellent customer service. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The indoor water park was clean and fun. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Very nice atmospere, reminded me of a small Great Wolf Lodge - with a smaller price tag. Kids eat free buffet was great! A quick trip across the street to Cabela's was a neat experience for the kids.

Room Tip: Kids loved the bunk beds!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank dupontmom98

Dear.dupontmom98,

We are very happy that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for taking time to post your comments. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.