“The Kirby House exceeded our expectations!”
Review of The Kirby

The Kirby
Ranked #4 of 7 Douglas B&B and Inns
West Bloomfield, Mi
“The Kirby House exceeded our expectations!”
Reviewed July 29, 2009

My husband and I were fortunate enough to get a room at The Kirby House due to a cancellation..lucky for us. Prior to this trip we have never found lodging in Saugatuck that we really enjoyed and would return to, now we found the place!! The house is lovely with a rich history. Jim and Ray are wonderful hosts whose hospitality and friendliness made our stay very relaxing and enjoyable. The pool was warm and very clean. And of course, Breakfast was fabulous!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chubcat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed June 25, 2009

My husband and I visit Saugatuck fairly often for quick weekend getaways and we always stay at the Kirby House. Jim and Ray treat us as if we're family and go out of their way to make us comfortable. Breakfasts are ample and never disappoint and the location is ideal - two minutes from downtown Douglas (walking) and a five minute car ride to Saugatuck.
The Kirby House also has a great pool and hottub that we're very familiar with. I love soaking in the hottub with a glass of wine during the colder months. So relaxing!
We normally stay in one of the second floor rooms with a private bath. Note, some of the rooms have shared baths, but they do cost a little bit less.
We look forward to many future stays with Ray and Jim (and Moscow).

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mushroombrie
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Reviewed March 26, 2009

The house is magnificent. I couldn't help but get carried away with it's history, architecture and decor. I felt like I was living in 19th century luxury. Mrs. Kirby was quite a lady.

Ray made sure we felt welcome and that all of our needs were met. The breakfasts were delicious and ample. The atmosphere was always relaxed.

We were directed to fantastic restaurants. I don't believe I've ever eaten so lavishly.

This was definitely the nicest off-season getaway we have experienced.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank smittydressage
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 3, 2008

The Kirby House is one of my favorite places to stay! I am a Purser with a large airline, and I'm based here in Detroit. I can fly off to some really glamourous destinations all over the world, but I choose to go to beautiful Saugatuck and stay at the wonderful Kirby House. I've been staying here for years, and I find that the owners, (Jim and Ray) are very accomodating, gracious and quite fun! The house is beautiful. Nothing beats having breakfast outside by the pool or out on the beautiful front porch. The pool is wonderful in the summer, and the cozy fireplaces equally wonderful during a snowy winter stay. The variety of guests, young and old, straight and gay/lesbian makes the experiece feel like you are staying with a big family. Thank you Jim and Ray, for always making me feel welcome!--Chris

• Liked — Mint plants out front, to make fresh mojitos with!!
  • Disliked — Ray did not serve me breakfast in bed. :-(
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank chrisDTW
ohio
Reviewed September 10, 2008

Our first trip to Lake Michigan for my boyfriend and I and it was very enjoyable. The Kirby House is immaculately clean with a welcoming atmosphere. Fresh flowers adorned the tables each morning for the 10 am breakfast served under candlelight and the food was especially tasty!! All the amenities from the pool to the porch swing to the player piano that you hear each morning are all worth staying here. If you are going to area of Douglas we would definitely recommend the Kirby House. Thanks Jim and Ray for the hospitality!!

• Stayed September 2008
2 Thank dme32875
Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 18, 2008

Both my partner and I needed a break form the Chicago buzz, my partner Mike told me to find the place, I chose the Kirby House over the others because it had the warmth and charm that indeed made it superior to all the others. The house was imaculate, the landscaping, very lush and colorfull. The wrap around porch including a porch swing gave one the feeling of truly being home.
The Hosts, Jim and Ray each offer the special talents they have, Jim being the host he is, who stopped at nothing to make sure your stay was above your expectation, Ray, with his culinary talents made sure seating was approriate, and on time as 10am the bell rings and my tastebuds stood at attention.
The pool deck area was exceptional, everything required was thought thru for our convenience, towels, chairs, pool toys, including a hot tub which made for a relaxing end to the day.
Jim always made himself available, and would join his guests at the pool for conversation and just being his overall friendly self. Ray made sure every plant was blooming, watered and a view to be seen, especially the roses which would adorn tables create such a wonderful old world atmosphere.
I was sad to depart, but will certainly make Kirby House, my second home on the western shore of Lake Michigan. Thanks again for a restful, relaxing stay. Steve, Chicago, IL

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MikeJM
TheKirbyHouse, Owner at The Kirby, responded to this review, August 22, 2008
Steve and Mike:

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review on Trip Advisor. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and to see your smiling faces every morning. We truly do hope you will return for another stay with us!

Jim Gowran
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2008

It's okay. Just okay. The house is dark and gloomy like the owners. There is a palpable unhappiness. If this is supposed to be a joyful occasion, it's not. The room was sufficiently smaller than your smallest swinging cat and the bed was obviously an instrument of torture in the 19th century. The pool is reasonably clean and the breakfast edible. I'd give Saugatuck a miss entirely and go to the beach elsewhere. It's only charm is the treacherous drive through road construction from Chicago. Saugatuck itself is a mis-mash of really, really bad art galleries and over-priced, deep-fried food. On the food note, if anyone suggests you go to "Everyday People's Cafe" remind yourself that for $100 you don't want to be "everyday" and run the other way.

Stayed July 2008
3 Thank Wudja
TheKirbyHouse, Owner at The Kirby, responded to this review, August 9, 2008
I love Trip Advisor because of the candid and unbiased reviews. I think that reading ALL reviews of my establishment will give an individual a real sense of Kirby House. So far most of the reviews this user has posted about other establishments all seem the same, he is not easily satisfied. Everyday People Cafe is a wonderful restaurant and I am sorry that he took out his distaste for it in a review about my establishment. (He should write a separate review.) By the way, I don't see how I can be held responsible for the summer traffic due to construction from Chicago or the fact that he didn't have a "joyful occasion." A person's own "joy" is dependent upon themselves. Come stay with I, I think you'll be glad you did!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Douglas
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Saugatuck - Douglas
#4 of 10 in Saugatuck
Belvedere Inn & Restaurant
Belvedere Inn & Restaurant
#2 of 24 in Saugatuck

Been to The Kirby? Share your experiences!