“Amazing”

Ranked #4 of 7 Douglas B&B and Inns
East Lansing, Michigan, United States
“Amazing”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

A Great Place, Awesome Food. They make you feel like you are in your own home and not theirs. I have never stayed at such a awesome B&B. Friendly, clean, nice, outgoing, very affordable. We go every year!

It's in a great location too! :) We loved the pool and hot tub. It's close to everything as well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Tara C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I had the best granola of my life for breakfast, spent the day on the beach, had a great dinner iin town and then came home to a bottle of wine around the hot tub and a cool splash in the pool. Comfy bed, beautiful grounds and a comfy front porch. How can you go wrong?

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Crzyjaney8
auburn hills
Reviewed July 24, 2012

my friend and myself have been staying at the kirby house for about 5 years. it warm, cozy and clean. the owner is welcoming and has his wonderful personality all over the house. breakfast is to die for and the pool is graet. the flowers are beautiful. best B and B i have ever stayed in and i have stayed in alot.it it the perfect relaxing getaway ever!

Room Tip: all the rooms are nice and all different. i stay in the jackie o, but any room u get is great!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank cathy l
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed July 15, 2012

My partner and I loved our one night at the Kirby House and only wished that we had more time to visit and experience the property and surrounding cities of Douglas and Saugatuck. The owner at the Kirby House pretty much allows his guests to have the run of the main parts of the house: the large, cozy porch where we enjoyed our morning coffee, the entire first floor with its pianos and pretty seating areas, the back deck where we ate our delicious carry-out sandwiches from the Respite Cafe, and the large swimming pool where we enjoyed a tranquil hour relaxing all by ourselves. We stayed in the "Jackie O" room which was cozy and clean. Breakfast was delectable and we enjoyed the company of other guests. One former tripadvisor reviewer noted that the Kirby House is not a "luxury B&B" and we agree that it is not, but instead we felt very comfortable, welcomed (doesn't hurt that the Kirby House is LGBT-friendly!), and happy to be there in a lovely old Victorian, and eager to take in the sights of Saugatuck and the warmth of nearby Douglas Beach for the short hours we had available to us. It felt like we were staying at a friend's well-appointed vacation house, with the type of friend that lets you have your privacy and space. If you like that sort of experience, the Kirby House will be your liking. As for us, we will definitely try to visit again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank CardCarrier
Oak Park, Illinois
Reviewed September 17, 2011

My wife and I came to Douglas and Saugatuck for a getaway weekend. It's a beautiful restored Victorian that's well appointed. The rooms are large and there are a few common rooms that are a very comfortable place to stop and relax. I'd highly recommend spending a little time on the covered, wrap-around front porch. There's also a pool and hot tub in the back. The breakfasts were gourmet quality and with a good variety of options, including for vegetarians. What we loved the most about Kirby House, though, is Jim, the innkeeper. He's a terrific host. He will make you feel right at home and has great suggestions for places to eat and things to do in the area. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chad Z
Wheaton, Illinois
Reviewed August 9, 2011

My hubby and I decided to go back to Michigan for a getaway after to many years away.
After three days on the internet, I found Kirby House in Douglas, MI only five minutes from Saugatuck. Words cannot describe how wonderful our stay was. Booked the only room available and so glad we did. The Inn (should say home) is a fantastic old house complete with a huge front porch that guests sit on and converse. I am a private person but loved sitting out there. Our room was wonderful--very comfortable bed. The breakfast was outstanding!!! It is included with the reservation. Was served in the dining room on china with fresh flowers in antique vases. I really appreciated being so pampered by Jim and his friends. They were so friendly but never intrusive Jim and Drew helped us find a nice place for dinner. They have many menus for local fare. There is an outdoor pool (surprise) surrounded by gardens. The landscaping is exceptional. Don't forget to play with the Pug pups!!! If you have never been to B&B before---go here. I promise you will not be disappointed!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank margaret p
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 19, 2011

My boyfriend and I spent one night here (Monday) as part of a Michigan road trip. I have never stayed at a bed and breakfast before and was slightly wary because in my head b&b's just seem kind of creepy (staying in someone's home with other people you don't know), but I figured I would give it a try.

The Kirby House was great. It is a beautiful building with nice-comfortable rooms. The garden was also amazing. The owner was very nice, and the large breakfast was delicious. A large baked peaches and berries pancake, egg frittata, and a delicious hashbrown/meat casserole as well as fruit and cookies. It was served in a nice dining room and was fancy without being silly. They had a common fridge, which was nice, and there is a grocery store across the street. The owner was very nice and made everyone feel comfortable without being overly involved (which again is my fear of B&Bs).

I am more of a city person than someone that does resort towns, but if I found myself in Saugatuck again, I would stay here again. For the price, convenience, and overall cuteness, I would definitely recommend it to friends., And after seeing some of the chain hotels in the area, I think it is a much better choice to go the B&B route.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank berechr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Douglas
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Saugatuck - Douglas
The Hotel Saugatuck
The Hotel Saugatuck
#5 of 24 in Saugatuck
Hidden Garden Cottages & Suites

Been to The Kirby? Share your experiences!