“For a Week or For a Weekend”
Review of The Dunes Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Douglas
The Dunes Resort
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Douglas
new orleans, louisiana
“For a Week or For a Weekend”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Have stayed at the Dunes Resort on two occasions and I can say that both stays were great. The accommodations are modest but clean and user friendly. The property grounds are well maintained. Staff is friendly, great location- easy access to both Douglas and Saugatuck - food options within walking distance as well as the beach. Pool area is a fun place to meet new friends and visit with old ones- great music. I do not live in the Midwest but if I did I would spend more time there. On a rainy day check out the winerys to the south in Fennville. NIce way to pass the time until the sun comes back out.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the pool deck/area
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Jim T

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Auburn Hills, Mi
Reviewed May 20, 2013

A weekend stay at the Dunes Resort will leave you feeling like you went to the right place to have a good time. Whether its a dip in the pool or hanging with old or new friends outside on the balcony its always a lot of fun. There is always something going on whether it is a show in the cabaret, a T-dance outside or just a Saturday night dance crowd in the bar having a blast. The grounds are beautiful with plenty of places to stroll around and meet people. That said, the rooms are nice and clean, but its not the Ritz, and wasn't intended to be. But you will get a comfy night sleep with all the amenities.

Room Tip: Any room or floor will just do just be prepared to have a good time!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Mich_AuburnHills
Montgomery, Illinois
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The Dunes is a nice hotel, with clean rooms and a nice pool area. There is also a restaurant right across the street from the hotel that serves breakfast through dinner which is handy if you don’t feel like driving. The hotel is not too far from the beaches in Douglas which is a gay friendly town.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PVLover55
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The hotel rooms are clean and well laid out. The pool are is nice with a mix of local people and hotel guests. Drinks are reasonably priced with dollar off drinks on Mondays. This place is very quiet during the week and busier on weekends. All guests very friendly. Only issue is the WIFI is very unreliable and continuely goes down. Events held most nights of the week with an interesting forest behind the complex. This place is at its best when the weather is good. When it is rainy, there is not much to do unless you want to drive to Chicago.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank FromToronto2011
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The Dunes Resort in Saugatuck/Douglas is more or less a Gay Bar that turns into a Gay Summer Resort. The biggest most exciting weekends are Labor Day, Memorial Day and the 4th of July. You pay seasonal adjusted rates that are at a premium during the summer months for the motel rooms. The Town of Saugatuck/Douglas more or less shuts down from October to April but is hopping during the summer. For this review I will be reviewing the Motel and not the Bar.

There are several options for your stay at the Dunes Resort. I have stayed in the individual cottages, the Standard Motel and the New King Building Motel. (for my reviews MOTELS have doors that open to the outdoors, HOTELS have indoor corridors.) On my latest visit I stayed in the King Building Motel.

The Pool and outdoor area that is surrounded by the Motel is a great place to chill, have a drink, sun yourself and people watch during the day when your not shopping or at the beach. The staff is helpful and friendly. There is a full service bar at the pool and on several weekends during the summer they hire a live DJ to spin at the pool.

The rooms are just average in appearance. They are clean but sparse. The King bed is large & comfortable and the bathroom is big. The shower is huge and can accommodate 3-4 people but has only one shower head. There is a rather cheap armoire in the room that gets the job done for hanging your clothes and a 14" flat screen TV that is tiny but you can watch if it is raining out. There is no desk or other place to put your clothing or laptop which I found annoying since if your stay for several days at a resort you need a place to store your clothes and electronics. The other issue I had with our room was that the humidity in the room was simply awful. I don't know if the chiller in the A/C unit was not working properly to remove the moisture or what but when you walked into the room it felt like stepping into a swamp. The humidity outside was not that high but even opening the bathroom window to allow fresh air in did not alleviate the problem. The carpet and bedding just seemed moist our entire stay and our towels and bathing suites would not dry out. This moisture issue seems like it would encourage mold growth which should be a concern since when I moved the bed it smelled musty. (Yes! I moved the king size mattress, the double box springs and checked under the box frame. It smelled musty.)

Alas it is a convenient place to stay if your entire vacation revolves around going to Saugatuck/Douglas to hang out at the bar in the evening and the pool during the day. This particular weekend was more or less just that. A weekend to hang out with friends and the motel satisfied my needs. I would not recommend it to anyone with a finicky disposition but a 25 year old party animal would think it was just awesome! I will be back again next year since it is more or less a Midwestern institution and a place for the young and old to congregate, have a drink and make new friends. However I would suggest they look into the moisture issue.

*It should be noted you get free passes into the bar Friday & Saturday night if you stay at the motel.

Room Tip: If your staying in the Motel ask for the King Building. It is newer. The Standard Motel is older and...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank ChaseChgo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 27, 2012

After many friends recommended this place to me, I decided to check it out. I checked in and was one of a handful of people at the resort I went out to the bar for some drinks then went back to my room and fell asleep. The next morning, I checked out and headed back to Chicago.

I received a call from the manager (?) during a meeting almost two days later saying that the cords had been ripped out of the TV and cable box and that I was responsible for payment since I was the last one to stay in the room. They charged my card another $139 for damages. After I told the manager that the TV didn't work and that I would deny the charges to my card, I received this email from the manager:

"Since we all know that the TV and cable box worked when you checked in, and was broken while you were in the room you have two options-
Pay for the TV and we are good, or
Don't pay, and I will file a police report tomorrow and place you on the no rent list at the Dunes as well as the Visitors Bureau.
When the housekeepers cleaned the room yesterday I was called and came out and tried to put everything back together, as it was all in a jumble on the wardrobe.
At first I thought you had just broken the cable box.. of which I tried to replace. It was at that point when I realized the TV was broken as well.
You were the last person that stayed in the room and whether you have hotel industry experience or not, not all rooms are cleaned immediately after the guests leave.
Your prompt agreement to pay for the TV and then quick rebuttal was a very telling admission to quilt.
What I don't understand is, why not pay for what you broke? Haven't you heard of karma?
If I came to your house and broke the TV I'd pay up.. it is the right thing to do. I would expect you do the same in this case.
It really doesn't have to be this complicated.
You signed your registration card and agreed to pay for any damages to the room.
I am happy to use the card on file.
Please advise, if not I will turn the TV and cable box over the Saugatuck Douglas police department and file a report.
Seems silly to argue over something that you know you did.
Accidents happen, so no hard feelings, just replace what you broke.
Mike Jones"

I hope they turn the TV and Cablebox over to the Police (and the remote) to the police. I'd be happy to drive out there so they can do a fingerprint scan to see that I never touched any of that equipment.

If this is how they treat first time guests...do you really want to stay here???

Room Tip: Rooms at other hotels would be better.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
23 Thank chiuadude
Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

Another wonderful stay. Always so clean. Enjoyed the pool. I can't say enough about the staff. I will ne back, like there was ever a doubt.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank IndianaFoody
Also consider these accommodations in or near Douglas
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Saugatuck - Douglas
#1 of 10 in Saugatuck
The Pines Motor Lodge
The Pines Motor Lodge
#2 of 4 in Douglas

Been to The Dunes Resort? Share your experiences!