“Ok for an economy Hotel ”

Comfort Inn Downtown Detroit
Ranked #21 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Flint, Michigan
“Ok for an economy Hotel ”
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

In comparison to the other economy hotels in Detroit, this is one of the better ones. However, keep your expectations realistic. Good rates, good location, clean and services were on part with a value hotel. Some areas of the hotel were run down, a few issues with the room e.g. Light not working, trim loose, some signs of mold on the grout, etc. But the pluses included free continental breakfast, free shuttle, small bar in the lobby and a friendly staff. So you get an economy grade hotel at economy rates.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Stingerdawg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Northern Michigan
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Don't let peoples reviews scare you. This hotel is clean, the staff was friendly, bathrooms and showers were clean and beds are comfortable. Granted this is not a five star hotel but it is safe and clean. The noise levels were low. It is located near downtown and by the casinos. It is easy to take a cab to any place you need to go in the city. it is a decent place to sleep and the rates are good. This isn't a rundown hooker Motel like most places in Detroit.

• Stayed April 2014
7 Thank Michiganfireman
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband spent a few days in Detroit and I chose this hotel because it was the cheapest for a weekend stay. It was okay, the room was a nice size and the shower and bath were good quality. One of the guys on the desk, called Andre, was really friendly when we checked in, he gave us great recommendations for food and he was really chatty when he drove the shuttle. We can't fault him for his level of service and he was always eager to help if we had a problem.
The coffee in the room wasn't great but there was free coffee anytime in the lobby. The wifi wasn't available in our room so we had to go to the lobby, it wasn't ideal but it was pretty cosy so we didn't mind.
We didn't come to Detroit with a car and I would say that, if you are staying in this hotel, bring a car or rent one! It's too far to walk anywhere and even though the shuttle was a great service, it was running at odd times ( not at all on Sundays, only after 4pm Friday and Saturdays but then all day on Monday).
The corridor on the third floor smelt of weed pretty much constantly and we were right opposite the ice machine. I know someone has to be but there were certain people who seemed to be consuming ice all night...11pm, 1am, 4am, 7am. I know this isn't the hotel's fault. The maid didn't do our room on our last night. We got given extra towels and an apology by Andre but it wasn't ideal.
An okay place to stay for a cheap getaway.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Koffee741
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 29, 2014

If you are looking for a cheap(er) hotel to stay at with absolutely no frills, then this is your place. Very little of the amenities work or even exist. The bed luckily had clean sheets, but that was about it for cleanliness in the room. I avoided sitting on the chairs in the room as they had a variety of stains adorning them. If you are coming to Detroit on business, think about having a backup workspace as there was only one open outlet outside of the bathroom and the WiFi is spotty at best. Although minor in the scheme of things, the hangars weren't strong enough to hold anything beyond a shirt. (not that the closet was deep enough to fit anything anyway) So everything stayed in my suitcase. The area around the hotel seemed safe enough, but the glass-enclosed front desk is a bit jarring to see when you check in. The shower was clean and the water was hot, but pretty much no water pressure. On the plus side, I checked my room every night for bedbugs and never found any. Plus the staff (though very few in number and unavailable) were quite kind when I could find them. Of the advertised amenities that existed, they actually do have a morning breakfast, which was fine. And they also offered a surprisingly frequent shuttle service to the Cobo Center for the auto show during the press preview.

Room Tip: You should probably ask to stay on the upper floors if you're concerned about noise. Also, the A...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank NYreporter2014

Travelers are raving about these Detroit hotels

Swartz Creek, Michigan
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This was a terrible experience for the money!! I understand it was New Years Eve and everyone jacks up the prices!! But you have to have the establishment to back that price hike up!! $200.00 for a dirty, filthy, hair infested room!! The bed was a king size and broken in the middle, good luck sleeping on that!! Our lamps didn't work unless we wanted to crawl under the bed and plug in the extension cord, REALLY??? Our friends room had blood on the floor under the sink. Other customers were complaining of dirty stained up bedding. Let talk about the "free" shuttle they offer. An 8 person van CANNOT accommodate 300 guests.. What a joke!! we had to take a cab to and from... Thank you for leaving us stranded!! I called the hotel several times asking for shuttle service but they couldn't pick us up. They only pick up from one location and we couldn't find it. Thanks for that info before we left!! So frustrating!! It was zero degrees outside and the employee is telling me "Ma'am, use your brain and figure out your own way back"... I was NOT HAPPY!! Not to mention we were freezing and also in downtown Detroit!! UGH!!!.......
Had I paid a reasonable amount of money I could have dealt with this. But the fact it cost $394.00 for 2 crappy rooms plus cab fair...... NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You do not have the right to charge such prices!! I certainly will never go back!!
We complained of our stay to the night man. Of course he couldn't do anything. Another man did come to me later and apologize for everything and offered us back our cab fair. I was thankful for that. I realize they are only employees and probably cannot do much with a manager. They are probably also aware of the crappy hotel services!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank catekane73
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 28, 2013

DO NOT BOOK with the Detroit Regency Hotel.

We pre-booked a New Years stay almost a year in advance here, only to find out a couple days before arrival that our reservation would not be honored at the price we booked at. We were 'offered' a new deal at almost twice the price as our original booking. Quickly took our business elsewhere in downtown Detroit...

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank SDF560
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I was quite apprehensive about going to Detroit, given that you don't see or hear many positive images of this city in the news. I had business in downtown Detroit, and I was driving my own car there.
Initially, I made a reservation in one of the large chain hotels, right in the heart of the downtown area. Somehow, though, I found the Regency, which was half the price *and* offered free parking. Big bonus! So I decided to give the Regency a try.
Lucky choice!
I had a very clean, comfortable, spacious room -- and everything worked! (air conditioning, microwave, TV, and fridge)
Andre was very courteous and friendly; happy to give me a ride on the shuttle, and recommended a wonderful restaurant for me (Royal BBQ, by the way)
Rose was very, very sweet about cleaning up my spills, letting me stay a little past checkout time, wishing me safe travels -- and calling me "dear".
Joe was exceptionally helpful in giving me walking and driving directions, suggesting places to visit (go to Windsor for a good meal!) Joe urged me to enjoy the Riverwalk, which was just lovely; and he helped me figure out how to get to the Motown Museum (Hitsville, USA) which is not to be missed.

I felt very safe in the neighborhood; didn't worry about my car or belongings. Downtown is about 1 and 1/4 or 1 and 1/2 miles away, a fairly easy walk and again, I felt perfectly safe walking there in daylight hours.

A couple of small minuses: breakfast was nice on the second morning of my stay. The first morning, when I had to leave early on business, breakfast wasn't ready at the stated time, so I missed out.
Also: I was concerned about getting downtown for my morning meeting. I asked the front desk the night before about lining up a cab, but they assured me that it was an easy cab ride, "$5 and 5 minutes", and told me that they'd call a cab for me in the morning. So the following morning, I asked the front desk to call a cab for me about 40 minutes before I actually needed it. They said they called three times, but no cab was forthcoming. Someone happened to arrive at the hotel by cab just when I was starting to bite my nails. I jumped in, and didn't ask any questions when the cab driver charged me $10.

All things considered, my stay in Detroit was a pleasant surprise, and the Regency was a big part of making it so enjoyable. The city declared bankruptcy a few days after I visited there. I'm not sure how that could have happened; I felt like I did my part to stimulate the local economy ;o) I'd be happy to go back and help them out some more!

Room Tip: I stayed kind of in the back of the hotel. No view, but a nice quiet room. Sometimes hard to fin...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo