“Great downtown hotel”

Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Toronto, Canada
“Great downtown hotel”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This city (including other hotels nearby) isn't always known for its customer service, but service at this hotel is great. The hotel was a recent refurbish of a historic hotel and still retains some of the original charm in the lobby, along with very modern rooms. I stayed in a king suite for the same price as a regular king room, and it was huge, with a TV in each room, large bathroom, nice view of downtown buildings.

This end of Fort Street can be pretty deserted on weekends and at night but I felt safe walking alone in the neighborhood in the earlier hours. It's about 2 blocks to the People Mover and a 10-min walk to Campus Martius, Cobo Center and other downtown attractions.

Stayed here for the Detroit Free Press Marathon last year, and this hotel has the added bonus of being located pretty much on top of the start line. A nice addition was the race organizers arranged to have the hotel give out special room keys on race weekend with the marathon logo on it, which was fun for those getting in spirit of the event. Will be staying here again when returning for the marathon this year.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Jennifer p, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Detroit-Dearborn, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
I’m glad to see that you enjoyed your stay, and thank you so much for the feedback. Unfortunately it seems as though you stayed at the Downtown Fort Shelby location and not our property. I will make sure to pass along this wonderful review to them. We also hope that you keep Hilton properties in mind when considering future accommodations.
Kindest Regards
Jennifer Pupa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Korean first
dearborn, United States
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The front desk was great, friendly and helpful. However, internet was down for the entire stay which prevented me from getting work done in hotel. Also, the lobby shop was closed more than it was open and the hotel was not that clean. I would not stay again unless I was faced with no other options.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

St Louis
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Nice hotel, great gym, rooms very clean. An older property by well maintained. Many resturants close by. Easy accsess. Good breakfast. Nice lobby with a gift shop. Some of the carpet in the halls was stained. I dont understand why hotels allow this.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I just love this hotel. So do my kids. Everyone is friendly - seriously. There was a lady vacuuming a hallway we walked through and she stopped to say good morning to us with a smile. Now that I think of it, all of the staff we encountered smiled at us. Everything was perfect; AGAIN!

Room Tip: This trip we had a 4th floor room. It was quiet and didn't seem any less convenient than our las...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Mentor, Ohio
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We love staying here,we have stayed many times and the staff is allways great. Our contact Mimi is allways willing to help us get our rooms for any of the events that we go there for.
The breakfast is very good which is helpful when traveling with a couple or a group of freinds.
Thanks, Harry W.R.H.G.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
clinton twp, United States
Reviewed September 21, 2013

The hotel front desk staff is very friendly and accomadating. The lobby seating and fountain area is very comfortable and attractive feature. The pillows and beds are very comfy and in general I enjoyed my stay. I had some concerns regarding the cleaniness of my bathroom in my room. There was a smear of some sort that I noticed on the shower wall while I was using the restroom that gave me the eeks. I also was not impressed with the pool water cleaniness.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I chose this place becasue it was less than a mile from University of MI where I had a one-day event to attend. I wish I was staying longer as I got in late and left early- so really didn't get to fully enjoy the hotel's ammenities.

My first reaction was, "Wow. So many reviewers on Trip Advisor said all kinds of complaining things about this place. They are snobby!" ;)

This place was VERY nice! If you want absolute pristine perfectionism and a carpet that doesn't look like human beings ever stepped foot on it- then go to the fancy pants bazilion star hotels that will cost you 2 grand per night. Please. I'm tired of the diva behavior of travellers.

I HIGHLY recommend this place. The staff at the front desk were beyond courteous. They actually came from behind the counter and out to physically greet us and shake our hands. And welcome us. They gave us warm chocolate chip cookies upon arrival. (YUM!) The lobby was beautiful The room beautiful and the beds and pillows were oh so comfy. They do charge for internet- but we joined the Hilton email list / points program and got free internet.

Someone said there was not a coffee maker in the room so I brought mine. THEY DO HAVE COFFEE MAKERS IN THE ROOM. Nice- Wolfgang Puck coffee makers and delicious coffee. And I'm a coffee snob.

Great place. Would stay here again and again. Wish I had time to try the breakfast and pool.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business