“A great place for business traveller!”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Detroit-Dearborn
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Miramar, Florida, United States
“A great place for business traveller!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have been traveling to Detroit every week for almost 2 years. I used to stay in downtown hotels but one week during last summer, all the hotels in the downtown were sold out and somehow I happened to stay at Doubletree at Dearborn. That day onwards every week, I am staying at this hotel. Hotel building though old, is well maintained and elegantly decorated. Rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. Amenities such as breakfast, dinner, wi-fi, beds, lobby, security are excellent.

What makes this hotel different from any other hotel in the area is its friendly and caring staff. Each and every employee that I have interacted with, has been pleasant and always willing to help. Makes me feel at home away from home.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Korean first
Germantown
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Double trees are nice but this one is not in the same league as others. It's old and the infrataructure is showing its age
Sadly the refurbishment I witnessed - carpet replaent looked terrible. The replacement carpet looked the same old style dated carpet that it was replacing
The noise from the nearby highway was constant but you can request to be on the "quiet" side
The rooms were dark, poorly lit with a desk that was ergonomically terrible and the soundproofing in the rooms absent. I listened to the telephone conversation from the to next to me. The other side was occupied by a couple who's "activities" might as well have been taking place in my room...all 3 times. I wanted to take the same approach that Frasier did in his hotel room in Bora Bora in the episode "Adventures in Patadise"!
This hotel is not on my revisit list

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank DrNic1
DoubletreeDearbornGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Detroit-Dearborn, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback and candor. You have my sincere apologies that we did not meet your standards. Please rest assured that my team and I will use your feedback to improve the quality of property for other guests.
Linton, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

I was in Detroit for three months. I stayed at the Doubletree at 5801 Southfield Service Drive. The people there were great. I am not a world traveler at all, but they made me feel welcome. Not just the people at the desk, but everyone. Tricia Alexander was the sales representative. She always asked when she saw me if there was anything more that they could do, and how was my stay at that time. The waitresses in the restaurant were outstanding. After they got to know me, they had my table waiting with orange juice and coffee. The waitresses were always very friendly and upbeat. I worked the night shift, and arrived at the hotel around 8:00am. Tricia arranged it with housekeeping that my room was cleaned in the afternoon, after I had left for work. This way I did not have to wait on my room to be cleaned when I arrived back at the hotel after working all night. Everything was clean, and they even made sure my laundry was taken out for me so I did not have to take the time to do it while I was working. If I am ever in Detroit again I will not hesitate to stay at this hotel again. They made every effort to make sure that I was taken care of. All of the people there are outstanding.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Alan - Thank you so much for your review. I am very ecstatic that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I will share your feedback with Tricia and our Restaurant Team. Thank you once again for your feedback and for having made the DoubleTree by Hilton Detroit-Dearborn your home away from home while you were in the area.
Findlay, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

The buffet breakfast has great service. The front desk has great service and gives you a nice warm cookie when you check-in. The fitness room was nicely appointed. All the machines were in good repair and there were even a few free weights. The pool area was under-construction the last two weeks, but you could still use the pool.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Asa - Thank you very nuch for your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to having you as a guest again in the near future.
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

I am ranking this hotel excellent because of the outstanding service I received there - on two occasions while on business trips. The facility itself is quite standard - nothing special and what you expect in a DoubleTree. But as soon as you check in, the staff makes you feel at home and appreciated. On my first stay, the first room assigned to me had a smoking smell (although it was a non smoking room) - so I reported to the front desk - immediately switched my room, apologized and provided a voucher for a complementary drink. This is what I call great customer service. Things may happen, it is all about how they are dealt with.
Congratulations to all the staff at this hotel for your professionalism and courtesy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Canadian007
Thank you very much for your feedback. You have my sincerest apologies that your first room had a smoking smell. I'm happy thought that my team was able to resolve this quickly for you.
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed at the Doubletree from November 20 - November 26 which includes Thanksgiving (November 22). The high rating of our hotel stay was primarily due to the attentive, courteous, and very helpful staff.

The hotel is right off of the Southfield Expressway (M-39) and Ford Road in Dearborn. It is convenient to both the suburbs, downtown Detroit, the well known Greenfield Village, Ford Headquarters, dining, etc.

Lobby

The lobby is very large. It is not too fancy but very comfortable. There is flowing water with a bridge over the water. Those wanting a fancy or elegant hotel will be better off looking elsewhere. For those looking for elegance, the Henry Hotel is nearby and may be appropriate as it was previously a Ritz Carlton. We stayed at the Ritz several years ago without children and it was nice. Families or those with children seeking a more casual environment will find it to fit the bill.

Pool and Fitness area

There is a small indoor pool and sauna that seems to be well maintained. A room key is required to access this area and inside this area there is another room for working out that also requires a room key. The workout area includes treadmills and a recline bike for aerobics, dumbbells and benches for weights, along with a machine with weights and pulleys for additional weight work. The room is very neat and clean.

Breakfast

Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond members have access to free breakfast buffet each day at Grille 39 which is the restaurant. On Thanksgiving the restaurant was closed so the breakfast was made available in the lobby. Standard buffet fare includes juices, coffee, milk, cereal, oatmeal, fruits, breads, scrambled eggs, sausage, and bacon. French toast, pancakes, other types of eggs can be ordered. The staff is very nice.

Dinner

We had dinner on Thanksgiving night. Unfortunately the Grille 39 was understaffed that night due to a Canadian youth hockey group that showed up before dinner although the group leader had told the hotel they would not arrive in time for dinner. As a result the dinner took long to make and with only one cook initially and one server the meals were backed up. The General Manager actually arrived around 7 PM to help out with the unexpected demand so it was clear the hotel definitely believes in pitching in to help in the dining area, too.

Rooms

The hotel has 6 floors with the top two floors primarily for Hilton Honors guests. To access the upper floors a room key is needed in the elevator. There were 3 elevators available together although they are a good distance from the front desk partly due to the large lobby and the fitness area in between the elevator and guest rooms. We had a corner room which included a King bed and a pull out sofa bed . We had windows on 2 sides with the large windows providing a view of downtown Detroit in the distance and the Ford World Headquarters nearby. We understand that the corner rooms are the ones to get as they are quiet and larger. Our corner room had a foyer with a table and mirror. Going through the foyer and around the corner of the hall leads to the bathroom and large room. The bathroom was large. We did notice that the hot water was warm not hot in the shower yet that was fine for us. There is also a desk area for those who wish to work. Wifi network is available and is free for Gold and Platinum Hilton Honors members.

Things to Do

It was no more than 10 miles to downtown. We were able to see the Detroit Thanksgiving Parade and attend the Detroit Lions - Houston Texans Thanksgiving game at Ford Field. The weather was beautiful, the parade very nice, and the game was exciting as it went into overtime. Downtown Detroit seems to have gotten nicer recently perhaps due to Comerica Park (Tigers), Ford Field (Lions), Detroit Opera House, Fox Theater, all nearby and near Woodward Avenue, the main street where the Detroit Thanksgiving Parade is held.

Greenfield Village is another place to visit. We purchased an annual pass which allows entry for our family and guests to the Village and Museum, along with discounts on visits to the IMAX Theater and Ford River Rouge plant which makes F-150 trucks. As there is way too much to see in one day, the annual pass is worthwhile as it is cheaper than paying to visit 2 or more times. Besides we learned the annual pass is tax deductible! We also drove to Windsor, Canada as that is right across the tunnel or bridge from downtown Detroit. As an interesting tidbit, this area is supposedly the only area in the USA that is located north of Canada!

Summary

This hotel is a good place for families and for those with business in the area. The staff is friendly and helpful. In fact, on Thanksgiving we saw a policeman at the front desk chatting with the staff. The officer was polite and helpful as I asked the best places to go to see the Detroit Thanksgiving Parade and park for the Detroit Lions game. For our family the Doubletree by Hilton in Dearborn, MI was the right choice.

Room Tip: Choose a corner room with a King bed. There is a pull out sofa bed, a foyer, and relatively large r...