“Nice Clean Hotel, Close to Shopping and Restaurants”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Detroit-Dearborn
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Columbus, Ohio
“Nice Clean Hotel, Close to Shopping and Restaurants”
Reviewed June 20, 2011

This was my first time staying at a Doubletree. I thought the hotel was very clean, the staff was very nice. Quick and easy check-in and check out.
The hotel is near two shopping centers and a Walmart, but traffic wasn't bad. There is construction in the area, but it didn't impact our travel time. it took us about 15-20 minutes to get to the casinos in downtown Detroit.

The area was quiet, security patrolled the parking lot. Lobby looked beautiful. Hallways and common areas looked clean. They do have a pool and fitness center with sauna, but we didn't use them. Didn't have time to check out the on-site restaurant, but would like too.
We had the double-double room. It was clean.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Doubletree Detroit-Dearboarn and look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank roadtrippinsista

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Korean first
Freehold, New Jersey
Reviewed June 16, 2011

We had decided to explore a bit of Michigan before our daughter's graduation at U of Michigan. On the top of the list was the Henry Ford Museum complex.
Good Afternoon,
I am glad that you sent this email as I wanted to write a positive comment about our experience specifically in the restaurant (I had complimented the staff to the front desk upon our departure) We were very road weary after our drive from New Jersey, so decided to unwind with a glass of wine. The waitress on duty couldn't have been nicer and more helpful with questions about the area etc. The next morning we returned for the breakfast buffet (far better than what we got in Ann Arbor at another chain hotel) and met another employee who was as friendly and helpful as the waitress the night before. We here in the NY area are so jaded and are a bit skeptical of people but these employees were just so genuine; we left feeling not only welcomed but like we had made new friends.
Great staff!
Judy and Terry Miller

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We were in town for a Detroit Tigers game and checked into a 2 room king size bed suite. The outside of the hotel is very well kept and the the lobby was beautiful. The front desk associates were very polite and helpful. And the cookie was delicious. I love staying at Doubletree because of the excellent service and I love the comfortable beds and pillows. I will definitely book a room at Doubletree again and I will recommend Doubletree to friends and family. Next time I will make time to check out the pool/spa and I will bring my laptop for the internet.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 4, 2011

I stayed at this property in March and again in April and had great experiences on both occasions.

Staff is friendly and helpful without being overbearing. The rooms itself are a little dated (colored tile in the bathroom from the 60's and CRT TVs), but they are clean and housekeeping cleans them before noon. My only problem was the carpets were a little dirty during my March stay, but housekeeping vacuumed them the next day after I asked. I also had a microwave and refrigerator delivered to my room without any additional charge. I had a room in the back facing away from the highway and didn't have a problem with noise. The breakfast buffet has a large selection of items, which they rotate - pancakes, french toast, biscuits and gravy, etc.,. I'd say the only downside is the pool and workout room, which both seem small.

I had a problem with another hotel I was at in April and called the Doubletree-Dearborn and they had a room ready for me in 30 minutes. I've stayed at the Doubletree in Novi, but I've had much better service at the Doubletree-Dearborn. I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
NYC
Reviewed June 2, 2011

The hotel is okay, nothing special. We did not appreciate the following: we had reserved a room with two beds. When we arrived we were told our room wasn't ready but could have another room...sure, why not. When we got to the room we saw that it had one bed and a sofabed. That gave us pause but it seemed like it would be fine for our kids. We left and returned at bedtime to discover that there were no linens for the sofabed. Housekeeping was reasonably quick to arrive with linens, but with a very weird and unpleasant blanket with a very rubbery feel and with no pillows. The housekeeping person was surprised we'd want pillows with our linens. She made no offer to actually make the bed and left.

The next day, after housekeeping had visited our room, we returned to discover that the sofabed again did not have linen, nor was there any for us to use to make the bed. We asked the front desk to get the bed made up for us, and it was, but again with the strange yucky blanket.

It's clear that the hotel has a loyal following and is better than some we have stayed in in the Detroit area over the years. And it's very well-located for tourist activities. But I don't think it has its act together as much as the high rating would indicate.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Dan L
Arlington, Virginia, USA
Reviewed June 1, 2011

No major complaints, but many small things add up to a less than stellar experience. The hotel is well located, although a bit tricky to get to because of the way the highways weave around at this spot. No one greeted us at the door when we pulled up, and there was one person at the desk (a busy holiday weekend). The hotel was clean although the decor is dated, mostly earth and rust tones throughout. The tile in the bathroom was old and the grout needed attention. Beds are full sized, not queen. We were out most of the day Saturday; when we came back at around 8 PM, the room hadn't been touched. I went to the desk and asked about this, and received an apology and assurances that the room would be immediately taken care of. We waited in the lobby for nearly an hour, then went back to the room to find that fresh towels had been placed on the bathroom counter, but nothing else had been done.
Lots of noise due to the pool on the first floor (our room was down the hall from the pool).
The breakfast buffet was average.
Nothing terrible, but really not exceptional, either. Expected more after reading the reviews here.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank QuicksilverDigital
Holland, MI
Reviewed May 31, 2011

The hotel was very nice over all. The staff was courteous, the facilities were clean, in great shape and up to date. The conference rooms were well designed, the gym and the pool were smaller but really nice as well.

Room Tip: 2nd floor, close by but quiet.