“Training and Attention to Detail”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Detroit-Dearborn
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Lake Mills, Wisconsin
“Training and Attention to Detail”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2011

After checking the TripAdvisor rating (#1 in Detroit), I decided to select this Hilton property for my 3-night stay. Upon arriving, I realized I had stayed here before, when it was a Holiday Inn or something similar. While much of the property has been updated since then, the guest rooms were just ‘okay,’ with old 25-inch televisions and smallish bathtubs.

The arrival experience was nice. I was greeted by TWO staff members at the front desk, and treated wonderfully throughout check-in. I was poorly directed to elevators about a quarter mile away, something that left me and other new guests scratching our heads searching for them. The warm Doubletree chocolate cookies (the best ever) were a welcome treat after I finally made it to my room.

I decided to hit the gym right away - the fitness center was okay, with dumbbells up to 50 pounds (apparently someone made off with the 30# set, however) and very good Precor machines. There were three elliptical machines, 3 or 4 treadmills, and one recumbent bike. The pulley weight system worked fine; there were plenty of antibacterial wipes, towels and water cups. The water soon ran out, thought, and had not been replenished two days later.

When I hit the room after working out, my old-school TV was giving me problems. I powered it up, and no matter what channel I selected, it automatically defaulted back to channel 3. I pressed the Care Line button on my phone, and a really nice, attentive lady, Liz, answered and promised to have someone from maintenance see to the TV. In the bathroom, there were two bath towels, two washcloths and one hand towel… why so chintzy on the towels? Each day, the towels were exchanged in the same exact quantities.

While waiting for maintenance, I checked out Grille 39, which apparently pays homage to the adjacent Southfield Freeway, also known as M-39. I don’t know who was on site for a convention, but they were collectively some of the nicest people ever. As I was seated at the bar, one after another they came in for refreshments, making polite conversation with bartenders and customers alike. The bar service was friendly and attentive, if somewhat easily confused. I opted to order food to take back to my room (I dislike paying ridiculous room service charges), so I ordered what was described as a citrus chicken breast with a vegetable salad. What I received, over a half hour later, was a chopped grilled chicken salad with asparagus and broccoli. While it was tasty enough, it was hardly worth the wait OR the $22.

Back in the room, I was pleased to find that maintenance had already been there, and apparently fixed the TV. I hit the power and it came to life perfectly. I changed to my channel of choice and watched for about 10 minutes before it automatically switched back to channel 3 and started increasing the volume! The remote control was unresponsive, so I rushed to turn it off at the front of the TV (it was LOUD). So, another call to the Care Line… and there was no answer… three times! Finally, I just dialed ‘0’ and there was Liz again. She apologized profusely (not her fault) and promised to have the TV swapped out the next day. I’d recommend a process change to address the ‘Care Line’ phone button vs. dialing ‘0’ in the future. The TV was replaced the next day by perhaps the nicest maintenance man ever, Juan. Not only did he swap out the TV, he refused a tip and returned with a coupon for a free dinner.

The remainder of my stay was confusing because there were both highs and lows. As other TripAdvisor guests have noted, the walls are paper thin, so don’t hold any covert conversations while you’re here. When I attempted to use my previously-mentioned meal voucher from Juan, the bartender forgot to credit my tab. She also forgot to place my order correctly and had to re-order the salad I chose over the fries. In looking at my final bill, she apparently issued the food credit. Finally, the lack of water in the fitness center just caused me to roll my eyes and wrap up this visit.

I don’t think I’ll stay here again. The facility isn’t anything special, but the location is good and most of the staff is professional and friendly. There just seems to be too little training and attention to detail.

Room Tip: Ask about the view - several rooms have wall views
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Cheesehead7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Korean first
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

In town for a funeral. The staff was extremely helpful with directions, quiet room location and service requests. Rachelle at the front desk went above and beyond. The room was quiet and extremely clean. Breakfast was also good. We will return.

Room Tip: End of hall corner room
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

I was in town for my brother's funeral. I checked in late so I got up late. I had a coupon for a free buffet breakfast. However, I was sure I missed breakfast. To my surprize the buffet was still open. I got a great breakfast & the staff were so kind & helpful.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2011

On my first visit to the Detroit area had the pleasure of staying at this hotel and enjoying the professional courteous service it had to offer.

Recommend it - on my return to area it is a definite

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2011

I am a frequent traveler and I have been in alot of hotels in the country. The Doubletree Hotel in Detroit- Dearborn is a very secluded and relaxing hotel not just because of the location but because of the staff. The staff is always accomodating and is always willing to help you when needed. The atmosphere is always pleasureable and suitable to everyones needs. When I come into the hotel I am always greeted with hospitality by Charles, Scott, Megan, Jennifer, and others that I have met throughout the years of a very experienced visit. This is definitely one of the best hotels in the Detroit metro areas.....

Room Tip: Always try to get a higher floor
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Columbus, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at this Doubletree numerous times and always have a wonderful experience. Everyone you come in contact with greets you with a smile. The hotel is always clean, beds are very comfortable, and of course, the warm, chocolate chip cookies at check in are delicious! Only thing that would make it better would be to offer a lighter weight bedding. While I love down comforters, they are just too warm in a hotel room.

In addition to the usual eggs, potatoes and bacon, the breakfast buffet always has plenty of fresh fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, and various breads, muffins and bagels.

Good wireless internet in the rooms.

Walking distance to Chili's and Red Robin.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
dksims
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

Great! The only negative (and its not really a negative) was the elevator was mid-way thru the building, not in the lobby. Price wise, best deal for the $$$, period. Pool and spa were clean and neet. Resturant had good food and friendly environment. We will definately return!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family